Upgrade from 128gb to new 256gb Samsung. Worth it for load speed performance?

bigskypylot

Explorer
Just curious who here is running Backcountry Navigator Pro and what tablet you're using? Im currently running it on a Samsung Tab S2 with a SanDisk 128gb Ultra Plus micro SD card.
Now it says that the tab S2 is expandable up to 128gb, however, I've heard of others using 200gb and 256gb cards.

I'm using an LTE VZW version

Screenshot_20170606-122158.jpg

Screenshot_20170606-122206.jpg

Also, if I can use a 256gb card, would it be worthwhile to with faster load times of data etc? These are the two cards I am looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Micr...qid=1496761884&sr=8-1&keywords=256gb+micro+sd

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-micr...qid=1496761884&sr=8-2&keywords=256gb+micro+sd

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

malibubts

Adventurer
The two cards you linked are UHS3 cards, while your current card is UHS1 (UHS3>UHS1). So the two new cards will be faster; but realistically not enough to notice. Samsung rates the two cards you linked at around 95MB/s and the SanDisk you have is at 80MB/s. You're tablet won't be reading quick enough for that difference to matter or for you to really notice.

Usually those limits aren't set in software or anything like that, that was just the largest card they tested with or that was out when the device was released. I have a 128GB card in my Galaxy Note 3, which is 4 years old; it probably only 'supports' 32GB or 64GB cards.

My take is if you need the space upgrade, if you don't need the space you will notice barely any (if at all) difference and it wouldn't be worth it.

bigskypylot

Explorer
The two cards you linked are UHS3 cards, while your current card is UHS1 (UHS3>UHS1). So the two new cards will be faster; but realistically not enough to notice. Samsung rates the two cards you linked at around 95MB/s and the SanDisk you have is at 80MB/s. You're tablet won't be reading quick enough for that difference to matter or for you to really notice.

Usually those limits aren't set in software or anything like that, that was just the largest card they tested with or that was out when the device was released. I have a 128GB card in my Galaxy Note 3, which is 4 years old; it probably only 'supports' 32GB or 64GB cards.

My take is if you need the space upgrade, if you don't need the space you will notice barely any (if at all) difference and it wouldn't be worth it.

Excellent info, Mali! I'm downloading a lot of mapping data for offline use. I'll see in the next day or so if I'm going to need to upgrade for the space. Thanks for saving me $133 so far!

bigskypylot

Explorer

Actually pulled the trigger on this one today...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNGCWHU?tag=viglink20599-20

the extra space will be nice!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
totally. I try to max out storage on everything I own. I have a 2tb drive in my 2 in 1, my wifes has a 1tb, I have the 128gb iPhone and ipad, My android devices all have 128gb or better....I also have 1tb of onedrive space as well. You never know. Plus at home, I have a server with 8tb of drive space. More space also means faster too...once drives get so full they start slowing down as well.

dms1

Explorer
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and have a Samsung 265Gb SD card (only registers as 230 GB) and no issues. I use Gaia mostly even though I have Backcountry Navigator Pro installed. I want to add a 512GB SD card when they become available so I can carry all my music and some movies to keep me and the wife entertained. I am also using the Samsung card referenced above in bigskypylot's post.

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm happy I got it, I'm mapping a route from Knoxville back to Bozeman and then from Bozeman to Wisconsin. Going to do my own Trans America Trail some of the Lewis & Clark Trail and Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. The 256 is a little faster (it is noticeable) and will have room for some media as well :)

I thought this was funny...

received_1682751768419399.jpeg

malibubts

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm happy I got it, I'm mapping a route from Knoxville back to Bozeman and then from Bozeman to Wisconsin. Going to do my own Trans America Trail some of the Lewis & Clark Trail and Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail. The 256 is a little faster (it is noticeable) and will have room for some media as well :)

I thought this was funny...

View attachment 404544

Glad it's working out for you. I work in IT and actually work mainly on very large hard drive arrays (think 300+ drives per). Similar to your photo, this is my favorite picture to show people how far we've come.

1956%20IBM%20hard%20drive.jpg

The IBM 350 was IBM's first Hard Drive, offering 5MB of storage with a weight of around 1 ton. I can't imagine the price tag on this thing.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Glad it's working out for you. I work in IT and actually work mainly on very large hard drive arrays (think 300+ drives per). Similar to your photo, this is my favorite picture to show people how far we've come.

1956%20IBM%20hard%20drive.jpg

The IBM 350 was IBM's first Hard Drive, offering 5MB of storage with a weight of around 1 ton. I can't imagine the price tag on this thing.

Ha! Incredible how far things have gone and where they are going!

kojackJKU

Totally. Technology is amazing. I have so many phones, computers, tablets etc. I just love using it. That being said, it's awesome to unplug, go camping without ANY gadgets only a lighter and just relax!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Awesome photos!

fwiw; I've got a Note A and running a 128GB card. I've mapped most of California, and some of Nevada, and it's just a small dent in the capacity.
The limiting issue I've found with BCN is that each file can't be larger than 4GB.
On the other positive side. The tablet/software has no issues staying up with travel speeds in the 65mph+ range. Based on performance, I don't think it would have issues with higher speeds, I'm just a slow poke... lol
Very happy with this combination. I'm betting there are even better tablets/cards out there too.
We live in such a great time. :)

kojackJKU

Agreed scott, My Little LePan mini keeps up with whatever speed I am going. and yes, the downside is having a limit on map size, AND how terribly slow it is downloading said maps. I want sat imagery, Topo etc....all available to me. Is that so hard to ask this day and age? Plus weather/radar/etc..ha ha....nothing to ask!!!! I have most of it, but no weather radar out of service obviously!

bigskypylot

Explorer
Awesome photos!

fwiw; I've got a Note A and running a 128GB card. I've mapped most of California, and some of Nevada, and it's just a small dent in the capacity.
The limiting issue I've found with BCN is that each file can't be larger than 4GB.
On the other positive side. The tablet/software has no issues staying up with travel speeds in the 65mph+ range. Based on performance, I don't think it would have issues with higher speeds, I'm just a slow poke... lol
Very happy with this combination. I'm betting there are even better tablets/cards out there too.
We live in such a great time. :)

I'm downloading 1.2 to 2.2gb at a chunk, splitting up in to regions. Right now, I have a East, Central and West. Then I'll do Wyoming, Montana and Idaho with parts of North and South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin. I had about 50gb done and then card got corrupted and had to re-format. Uggh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles