Totalled my 95fzj80... Looking for unbiased opinions of value to settle claim

cruiserfanc

Heres my take......if you want an 80- simply find one with 170k miles on it in about similar shape with lockers. If you can show the insurance that the 3-4 available on the market to replace your wrecked one are all going for $6500-8000.....simply tell them that $5k wont buy a 170k mile one with lockers.

March down to your local Toyota dealer and get a printed bill for the lockers and locked diffs.

when they say that all of the similar mile unlocked cruisers in your area are $5k.....hand them the paper for how much toyota would charge to get the lockers and they will start to see that $7k is probably closer tothe value of your locked cruiser.

white is also the best color.....so tell them that all the green faded ones they are finding on the cheap at $5k wont work as the white is a premium color......and if they want to add $2k-3k for a factory level white paint job.....that they are still going to be pushing the $7k envelope.

the prices of these are skyrocketing. wish them luck finding a white low mile locked 80 for under $7k imho and hold your ground.

To be honest, that value is what I was expecting to see them offer in the first place, and the value that I would settle for. It's what I would pay if I was looking for one. In fact, my dad called me about a 95 with 128k for $7800 today that a friend of his was selling. It was blue and unlocked but was super clean and well cared for.

I pulled the trigger on a '15 Overland tonight but still battling on the value of the LC. I like the strategies you suggested, particularly the Toy dealer bill for the lockers and diffs. It helps make the point that has clearly been negated thus far...Thx

cruiserfanc

Just to give an update on my claim for anyone interested, I had my 80 appraised and the value came back at $12,500. Submitted to the insco and awaiting their appraisal and then, Im guessing it will go to 3rd appraiser to judge.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Reminds me of what happened with my friend who had his 80 rear-ended on the street and the 80 rear-ended his Mustang that was parked in front of it.

The Mustang looked much worse off, but the relative value of the vehicles meant the Mustang got repaired while the 80 (with much less visible damage) was totaled by USAA. At the time my friend didn't have the $$$$, the time, or the garage space to bring it back to life so he had to let it go.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/71856-Two-for-one-accident
2012-01-12_11-30-57_541.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Keep fighting, keep finding comps. I went through this with my 85 PU, cant compare to a 86 or 84 like the ins co wanted to do. Offered me $560 at first, ended up getting ~3k iirc and keeping the truck. You dont have to accept their offer until your happy with it. Might not be what you want to get out of it, but you will be able to get more than their original offer.

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
I wonder if an ARB bull bar would have save all that damage... not just for hitting roos, but when other drivers hit you.

shamrok

Ugh, this whole thing sucks and worries me. I wouldn't take a dime less than $15k if I were to ever sell it, but I know my insurance would never agree if something were to happen to it. Anybody carrying collector car insurance on their rigs? My only concern is I semi-DD mine and most of those specialized insurances seem to be restricted to occasional use only.

NCFJ

Adventurer
You should investigate an agreed value policy for your truck. If your insurance company will not do it there are many that will.

nastav

Adventurer
My AEV Jeep is insured with CHubb (horrible name) stated (agreed? I'd have to look at the policy for the exact terminology) value @$65,000.
1 million liability, low deductibles, and annual jeep premium is $1,200 as we also have a house with them.
No annual mileage restrictions.

A good insurance agent can give you options. Even my crappy insurance agent eventually figured it out.
Call around and go sit down with a local agent that offers multiple brands of insurance and see what they come up with.
Most people are grossly underinsured in event of a total loss or large claim.
Most people also price shop insurance with no understanding of just how crappy some companies are when it comes time to make a claim.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
My AEV Jeep is insured with CHubb (horrible name) stated (agreed? I'd have to look at the policy for the exact terminology) value @$65,000.
1 million liability, low deductibles, and annual jeep premium is $1,200 as we also have a house with them.
No annual mileage restrictions.

CHUBB is a great company. I had a $850 tow bill on my LMTV and they covered 100% with nothing on my part other than paying for it up front. Unfortunately they've decided to stop insuring prior military vehicles. Luckily I'm grandfathered in as long as I maintain my policy.

huntsonora

Explorer
Just to give an update on my claim for anyone interested, I had my 80 appraised and the value came back at $12,500. Submitted to the insco and awaiting their appraisal and then, Im guessing it will go to 3rd appraiser to judge.

Any updates? I'm curious how this went

cruiserfanc

Any updates? I'm curious how this went

Finally settled my claim and receive the check this past week. $12,200

I invoked the appraisal clause section of my policy and paid to have it appraised. It appraised for $12,500 and the insurance co had it apprasied as well and it appraised for $11,900 I agreed to split the difference and settled for $12,200

I could buy back the salvage for $1200 but at this point, am just moving on. It is definitely repairable and well worth the salvage but I went ahead and bought a grand cherokee so I can tow 4 down behind the RV project I've been working on.

Just glad to put the whole experience to bed...

Thanks for the input and advice.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm impressed with the number you were able to get out of them! You should probably buy it back though for only $1200 as somebody here or on mud would surely want a locker equipped 80 with low miles. I'm sure you could get $1500 to $2000 for it, and more importantly you would keep it from being crushed or shredded!

Deshet

Adventurer
How much was the appraisal and who did you have do it? Also wondering if it would have been better to have it appraised before the accident.

This may be good information in the future.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles