Help me spec out a new 2017 Tacoma

p nut

butter
CR has always knocked the Tacoma, they want it to ride and handle like a car, and have a lot of gee-gaws. Toyota has always been a conservative with their trucks and doesn't follow what everyone else is doing for the most part, other than the gained girth over the years.

At this point, jury is still out on the newish V6. But the 2.7 4 is an anvil, along with the 5 speed manual. Pretty much guarantee that configuration of truck would out live me.

Being a long time Toyota owner, past 26 years...I am little disappointed that Toyota is trying to appease the mass US populous. The bloat and the gawd awful over compensating styling of the Tacoma and Tundra, don't really care for. Wish they kept on doing their own thing.

Yeah, but people like you make up 0.05% of the buyers market. :D Most want all the tech and razzle dazzle. They have to compete--they're a business after all.
_
More and more, I'm getting less impressed with the new 3.5L. I'm sure it's a nice engine. But a step backwards from the 4.0L. Yeah, aside from a couple issues, the 2.7L has been a very reliable workhorse. For me, it would be a somewhat frustrating transition from your 3.4L. I'm not a speed demon, but appreciate some get-go at times. The 2.7L's I drove had zero of that. The 3.4L (5-sp) felt like it had double the power.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, but people like you make up 0.05% of the buyers market. :D Most want all the tech and razzle dazzle. They have to compete--they're a business after all.

more like...0.0005% :p. Yeah even the base SR model has too much for me. I dunno, with the rapidally changing tech part of the vehicles. Think the electronic gizmos would be outdated pretty quick, if it was the last truck you ever bought.

I do like some tech, but like it removable, smart phones, ipads, tablets, etc and not have it imbedded in the dash.

It is funny, even on the bike and the out of way places I like to go, I tried using GPS for a bit...but found myself after some time not using it...rather use my instincts to find my way.
_
More and more, I'm getting less impressed with the new 3.5L. I'm sure it's a nice engine. But a step backwards from the 4.0L. Yeah, aside from a couple issues, the 2.7L has been a very reliable workhorse. For me, it would be a somewhat frustrating transition from your 3.4L. I'm not a speed demon, but appreciate some get-go at times. The 2.7L's I drove had zero of that. The 3.4L (5-sp) felt like it had double the power.

The 2.7 feels fine to me...unloaded that is. Coming to the realization I might hate if it were loaded to the gills.

Yesterday I rode all day in the rain, it kinda sucked trying to change into my dry street clothes standing outside in the pouring rain...kept on thinking how nice it would be to have a nice warm camper to be able to do that in. Didn't want to put up my Wildernest in the rain....man a FWC sure would be nice right now! Then I start thinking... a FWC on the Tacoma would be miserable to drive towing the moto trailer. 2.7 would be even worse.

Keep on looking at used Alaskan Campers... dunno there p nut, might have to break down and get a fullsize to fill the needs.

Mid 2000 Chevys and Fords have caught my eye (for a camper only vehicle)...price is about right, and can get them with a manual trans I like so much.

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/6169284267.html

00W0W_jlQLfnWYeFs_600x450.jpg

00N0N_kdLBO1f5Ipj_600x450.jpg

Or an F250/350 gasser...

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/6140406951.html

01111_jw4WxWvvDWm_600x450.jpg

00c0c_5Rvidr8VZuW_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Yesterday I rode all day in the rain, it kinda sucked trying to change into my dry street clothes standing outside in the pouring rain...kept on thinking how nice it would be to have a nice warm camper to be able to do that in. Didn't want to put up my Wildernest in the rain....man a FWC sure would be nice right now! Then I start thinking... a FWC on the Tacoma would be miserable to drive towing the moto trailer. 2.7 would be even worse.

Keep on looking at used Alaskan Campers... dunno there p nut, might have to break down and get a fullsize to fill the needs.

Mid 2000 Chevys and Fords have caught my eye (for a camper only vehicle)...price is about right, and can get them with a manual trans I like so much.

Do you need a moto trailer, or would a hitch mount rack be an option? But an FWC on a 3/4 - 1 ton would be a great set up. I even thought about a fullsize van. But I keep thinking of those backcountry roads that I'm on at times. Most are well graded, so no issues. The problem is, it's the backcountry. Living in the desert, any sort of flash flood/heavy rain, it could wash that road out. A low clearance 2WD van would not be ideal (I'm not forking out $$$$ for a 4WD van, either).
_
Those trucks look like they're right up your alley. I like the Ford with the manual hubs. Pretty low miles, for the age, too. Although, any concerns about it being a gov't fleet vehicle? I like those FS color, too.
_
It doesn't get any more Spartan than this. Match made in heaven for you. :D
F350dash.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you need a moto trailer, or would a hitch mount rack be an option? But an FWC on a 3/4 - 1 ton would be a great set up. I even thought about a fullsize van. But I keep thinking of those backcountry roads that I'm on at times. Most are well graded, so no issues. The problem is, it's the backcountry. Living in the desert, any sort of flash flood/heavy rain, it could wash that road out. A low clearance 2WD van would not be ideal (I'm not forking out $$$$ for a 4WD van, either).
_
Those trucks look like they're right up your alley. I like the Ford with the manual hubs. Pretty low miles, for the age, too. Although, any concerns about it being a gov't fleet vehicle? I like those FS color, too.
_
It doesn't get any more Spartan than this. Match made in heaven for you. :D

I tried a hitch carrier, I pitched a bike off it once...so never again. That and the eddy is created behind the vehicle, just covers them with grime. I know they are "dirt" bikes, but like to at least start the day off with them clean.

Van is on the radar again, buddy of mine just flew up here and bought a very clean E350 with a 7.3 diesel for $10K, which he'll do the 4WD conversion himself...believe he is doing a Super Duty coil front end on it, he'll fab up his own brackets, and such. Will be into it under $20K. Kinda seeing where he goes with it. Extended body with a raised roof, wouldn't be too bad.

I considered doing a 2WD vehicle, but even some of the trail heads I go to...man I dunno...yesterday even, it was nice going in...but it was snot slick coming out after the rain storms, slid into deep rut a bit, surely would of been stuck in a 2WD...Nah....2WD just won't work.

---

Government vehicle, does raise concern...pretty much assume they are all beat. If you look under most of them, they are all caked with mud. Prolly pass, but do like to look, and like that FS green color for some odd reason.

----

Spartan, yeah!

----

Funny, you don't realize the short comings of one's setup, until the weather turns foul. Love that Wildernest, but at best it is a fair weather camper. It does not like the cold and wet. An Alaskan or FWC sure would of been nice yesterday...a raised roof van, maybe even better??? Absolutely no setup time, just open the side door and climb in.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer

Yes, but in fairness to the Tacoma, a Consumer Reports review on a 4x4 truck, or any vehicle for that matter, should be taken with a pound of salt.

Firstly, there are only 2 other competitors in the "compact pickup" category: GM Colorado/Canyon and the Nissan Frontier. So being ranked last out of a total of 3 optional vehicles is a matter of probability to some degree.
Secondly, did you actually read what the author wrote?

The Tacoma is as rough and tumble as it has always been, complete with impressive off-road prowess. But there is no escaping that this is a primitive truck. Despite the recent redesign, the ride remains stiff, handling is ponderous, the cabin is loud, and the driving position is still awkward. The modern connectivity features are a welcome upgrade. Safety features such as blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert are available. Ultimately these electronic niceties do not overcome this truck's shortcomings. And counter to its past reputation, first-year reliability of the redesigned Tacoma has been disappointing.

You notice how the author's negative analysis is focused almost 100% on the Tacoma's amenities and comfort, or lack thereof? And how all of the positive analysis is focused on electronics and media connectivity? Aside from her "offroad prowesss" comment, which was a vague and token compliment, she spent almost zero time talking about the Tacoma's engine (which is a point of contention with the platform) or its towing, hauling and 4x4 capabilities....you know, the things that people actually buy trucks for. The problem with CR, and so many other car media sites, is that they analyze and judge trucks and 4x4 SUV's the same way they would a passenger sedan or crossover. They're used to to nice, compliant onroad suspensions and sharp handling on the crossovers and 2wd sedans they normally drive; so when they get up into a pickup, even a light-duty one like the Tacoma, of course they're going to notice differences in handling, road-noise and comfort. A truck is going to drive like a truck, sound like a truck and feel like a truck no matter how much R&D and money you put into refining and improving it.

CR is most definitely the last site you should visit if you want good reviews and feedback on traditional 4x4 SUV's and pickup's. They don't strike me as "truck" people so I doubt they have enough knowledge to know what warrants their criticism. No car media site is perfect, but there are groups out there with a much better history and pedigree when it comes to reviewing trucks and 4x4's. And I'm not saying all of that because I'm trying to defend the Tacoma against any sort of criticism. There are some things about the new Tacoma that I'm not a fan of, though I still acknowledge it's likely to have a good reputation over the long term. I just can't stand it when car journalists write reviews and opinions on topics they have little to no experience with. If you want a good analysis on the Tacaoma, go read a review by someone who has extensive experience driving and building 4x4's. A lot of these reports on sites like CR are just clickbait articles designed to take up some empty space and drum up some advertising income.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I tried a hitch carrier, I pitched a bike off it once...so never again. That and the eddy is created behind the vehicle, just covers them with grime. I know they are "dirt" bikes, but like to at least start the day off with them clean.

Van is on the radar again, buddy of mine just flew up here and bought a very clean E350 with a 7.3 diesel for $10K, which he'll do the 4WD conversion himself...believe he is doing a Super Duty coil front end on it, he'll fab up his own brackets, and such. Will be into it under $20K. Kinda seeing where he goes with it. Extended body with a raised roof, wouldn't be too bad.

I considered doing a 2WD vehicle, but even some of the trail heads I go to...man I dunno...yesterday even, it was nice going in...but it was snot slick coming out after the rain storms, slid into deep rut a bit, surely would of been stuck in a 2WD...Nah....2WD just won't work.

---

Government vehicle, does raise concern...pretty much assume they are all beat. If you look under most of them, they are all caked with mud. Prolly pass, but do like to look, and like that FS green color for some odd reason.

----

Spartan, yeah!

----

Funny, you don't realize the short comings of one's setup, until the weather turns foul. Love that Wildernest, but at best it is a fair weather camper. It does not like the cold and wet. An Alaskan or FWC sure would of been nice yesterday...a raised roof van, maybe even better??? Absolutely no setup time, just open the side door and climb in.

I love the van, but here's the other problem, other than the cost. If I get one, it needs to be a high roof. You're familiar with how tall them things are. I'd have a hard time using one on a daily basis. And too top heavy, even for those mile forest roads. I think same could be said for the Alaskan as well. Which is why I think I'd opt for a FWC. Pop top may be more cumbersome, but the less weight, less cost, better aero and COG make up for that. I've yet to try one, so this is just all mag racing. And I think we talked about this before but if you get a shell version or a lighter FWC, half ton should be able to handle it just fine. Which gives you more options.

Clutch

<---Pass
I love the van, but here's the other problem, other than the cost. If I get one, it needs to be a high roof. You're familiar with how tall them things are. I'd have a hard time using one on a daily basis. And too top heavy, even for those mile forest roads. I think same could be said for the Alaskan as well. Which is why I think I'd opt for a FWC. Pop top may be more cumbersome, but the less weight, less cost, better aero and COG make up for that. I've yet to try one, so this is just all mag racing. And I think we talked about this before but if you get a shell version or a lighter FWC, half ton should be able to handle it just fine. Which gives you more options.

[ad nauseum] :p

Yeah, I got to drive it...thought yeah this thing is cool. Though I used to drive those things for a living and hated them, go figure. Surely couldn't live with it as a daily, no way. Even my bud said he might buy a 2WD Tacoma 5 lug for a daily.

Could live with a 1/2 ton as a daily though. Who knows, the better half gave me a green light for a new truck...and can't decide what to do. Probably because I really don't like anything on the [new] market. Maybe toss a LS in the Tacoma, then it will be able to haul a FWC and tow the moto trailer no problem! ;) At that point better off just buying a 1st gen Tundra...(and down the rabbit hole we go...) :D

p nut

butter
Yeah, I got to drive it...thought yeah this thing is cool. Though I used to drive those things for a living and hated them, go figure. Surely couldn't live with it as a daily, no way. Even my bud said he might buy a 2WD Tacoma 5 lug for a daily.

Could live with a 1/2 ton as a daily though. Who knows, the better half gave me a green light for a new truck...and can't decide what to do. Probably because I really don't like anything on the [new] market. Maybe toss a LS in the Tacoma, then it will be able to haul a FWC and tow the moto trailer no problem! ;) At that point better off just buying a 1st gen Tundra...(and down the rabbit hole we go...) :D

With your affinity for FS green, there are options:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=175583794

As I've said before, I think 1/2 ton makes the most sense. But maybe a late gen V6 Taco could work with a shell model.

[ad nauseum] :p
It's been a while. That second wind kicked in. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
With your affinity for FS green, there are options:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=175583794

As I've said before, I think 1/2 ton makes the most sense. But maybe a late gen V6 Taco could work with a shell model.

Oooooooh, good find!

Yeah, we always come to that conclusion. 1/2 ton is probably the best all-a-rounder. It is just my lust for manual trans that is holding me back.

It's been a while. That second wind kicked in. :D

Ha!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yes, but in fairness to the Tacoma, a Consumer Reports review on a 4x4 truck, or any vehicle for that matter, should be taken with a pound of salt.

Firstly, there are only 2 other competitors in the "compact pickup" category: GM Colorado/Canyon and the Nissan Frontier. So being ranked last out of a total of 3 optional vehicles is a matter of probability to some degree.
Secondly, did you actually read what the author wrote?
Doesn't CR also lump the Honda Ridgeline in this category? And doesn't it always end up as the 'best' small pickup? Not to knock the Ridgeline, it's a Honda and that's great. It seems comfortable and does probably work fine to haul some stuff here and there. But it's not the same as a body-on-frame 4WD pickup over the long haul. It might actually do OK on dirt roads but lacking a transfer case in particular makes it a different beast and CR simply doesn't know or care about the distinction.

Dalko43

Explorer
Doesn't CR also lump the Honda Ridgeline in this category? And doesn't it always end up as the 'best' small pickup? Not to knock the Ridgeline, it's a Honda and that's great. It seems comfortable and does probably work fine to haul some stuff here and there. But it's not the same as a body-on-frame 4WD pickup over the long haul. It might actually do OK on dirt roads but lacking a transfer case in particular makes it a different beast and CR simply doesn't know or care about the distinction.

I'm not sure if CR puts the Ridgeline into the same category as the Tacoma or not; I wouldn't be surprised if they did. But I agree with you in that the Tacoma, and the Colorado and Frontier, are really in a different category.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Tfl is hit and miss. They lust over the f150 and other domestic over toyotas. But the videos are entertaining to watch

I think they like what performs the best, when new. Maybe if they were testing vehicles 10 years old with 250k on the clock the Toyotas may be better. When new they certainly are not.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think they like what performs the best, when new. Maybe if they were testing vehicles 10 years old with 250k on the clock the Toyotas may be better. When new they certainly are not.

Isn't the bald dudes personal truck a beater 1st gen Tacoma? IIRC they were testing all three generations. Using his as a metric. Thought it was kinda funny. Test all these different rigs, yet drives an old beater.

Dunno, all new trucks pretty much feel the same to me. All pretty much vanilla only minor differences. Tundra does come in last with mpg, but think that is more about gearing than anything. No options on the Tundy, but can gear the others high.

Most of my moto buds with the Ford ecoboost can't get much better than 17-18 out if theirs. 10-11 while towing. Pretty much the same as my friends with the Tundras.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
V6 Regular Cab F150 or Silverado 1500 seems to be a pretty slick truck for the price these days. Same mileage as a 2.7 Taco with nearly double the power and a lower street price.....

I like Toyota but they've really stopped innovating. Their whole line up is seemingly a decade old except the Mazda 2 ia.

Clutch

<---Pass
V6 Regular Cab F150 or Silverado 1500 seems to be a pretty slick truck for the price these days. Same mileage as a 2.7 Taco with nearly double the power and a lower street price.....

I like Toyota but they've really stopped innovating. Their whole line up is seemingly a decade old except the Mazda 2 ia.
They have stopped innovating, but are the others all that much different? Yeah Ford has aluminum bodies and turbo gassers, but they aren't leaps and bounds better. Little bit more power and marginal mpg gains.

The new diesels may change things, but the high buy in/repair cost might be a hindrance. Time will tell.

At this point. Would like to see Toyota do hybrid truck, as their hybrid systems have proven themselves for long term reliability.

Manage the system for torque and much needed improvements in fuel consumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles