Help me spec out a new 2017 Tacoma

b9ev

Adventurer
Did the dent affect the power delivery? The big one looks like it would definitely screw up the sound wave coming back to the motor.

Just picked that up in March, to replace my well worn Gas Gas 300... has been great! Just tractors up climbs, stuff we were riding was tight, barely got out of 3rd gear.

Did a number on the pipe in that overgrown stuff, grabbed a rock hiding in the shrubbery.

Not new anymores!

View attachment 406121

It was a quip of "for a truck that can't haul much" should be getting much much better fuel economy. Yan know what I mean? :D

Yeah, it is one of those things...try to "fix" one or two inconveniences, 5 other problems arise. What I have now works perfectly fine....it is the constant trying to solve problems I don't have thing...which is what most of these threads on here are about, yeah!? ;)

Clutch

<---Pass
Nah. Nothing in life is consistent. Problems will always arise. Like your Tacoma that was once problem-free. Not that getting a Fix Or Repair Daily will solve your issues. :D Some people love fixing their cars though (*ahem, LR owners*) :D I'd rather be out on my bike or the fam. Hope the enclosed trailer works out for you, though. The inside is pretty spacious and makes an excellent "SR", no frills camper.

Bit of conundrum, getting sick of fixing it, yet don't want to drag a brand new truck in the back country either. Buying a used vehicle is huge can worms too. Be easier if I didn't have to work for my money... ;) :D

I do like that F150 XL, with an extra cab 6.5' bed though...

Did the dent affect the power delivery? The big one looks like it would definitely screw up the sound wave coming back to the motor.

yeah, really effected the top end, signs off early, not that we ride that way much, tend to lug 'em...if anything made the bottom have a little more grunt, which is a good thing.. Ordered a new FMF Gnarly which is more for bottom end, that is aimed at the stuff we ride... 1st-3rd gear terrain. We can blow that dent out, just keep them in rotation as you smash 'em.

Beta puts that same engine in their beginner-novice enduro X-Trainer, they toss on a real small expansion chamber which moves all the power down low, then detune it a bit so there is no "hit" just smooth linear power delivery. Smashing the pipe kinda does the same thing, but less scientific :D

DSC_0114.jpg

Betamotor_xtrainer_2017_right.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
It'd be hard for a gas engine, at the current efficiency, to get up that high. But I thought the Ram with the V6 pentastar/8-sp transmission was 26 or something like that? I wonder how the new F150 3.3L with 10-sp will do. And if they put that in the upcoming Ranger, maybe it'll be very close to that?

I think the Ram 1500 with 3.6 v6 and 2wd is rated for 25 hwy (a few mpg lower for the 4wd). Though it's been my experience that the EPA's mpg ratings for gasoline rigs are overly optimistic....meaning you might see 25 mpg when a lot of if's are met: if you are empty, driving below 65mph, on flat terrain, no traffic, no head wind, no accelerations, ect.

My 4runner is rated for 22 mpg hwy, but realistically, I'm lucky to break 20 mpg (I've seen 22mpg on the rare occasion, but it certainly isn't the norm even on hwy). I wouldn't be surprised if real world results turned out to be somewhat lower than the EPA's ratings for the Ram as well. The extra gearing in the transmissions help, but you put these gasoline engines under any kind of load and the mpg's start to take a dive.

I think the only way gasoline truck engines of the future will break 30mpg (with consistency) is by going the hybrid route, or they could build a hugely under-powered engine and put it in a super low-riding truck with all kinds of air dams and focus totally on fuel efficiency to the exclusion of any sort of towing or offroad utility....but where is the fun in that? ;)

Me, I'm resigned to the fact that a gasoline SUV or pickup will never be as fuel efficient as I want it to be, and in the near future I'll likely be buying a diesel truck (I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford does with the new Ranger and F-150 V6 powerstroke). Despite that one gripe, I can't really complain too much about a well-made gasoline truck engine. The 4.0l v6 in my 4runner is endearingly reliable and dead-nuts simple (relatively speaking) to maintain. 10k oil changes, change out the air filter when it gets dirty, I'll likely do a radiator flush at 80-90k, and the thing just starts and runs, irrespective of the weather conditions or the hard driving I subject it to. A modern 3/4 ton diesel engine will get nearly the same mpg's as my 4.0l v6 all while providing much higher torque, but they're so much more complex by comparison....everything's a tradeoff I suppose.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Bit of conundrum, getting sick of fixing it, yet don't want to drag a brand new truck in the back country either. Buying a used vehicle is huge can worms too. Be easier if I didn't have to work for my money... ;) :D

C'mon. You keep your truck for eons anyway. So what if you drag a new truck through the bush? You won't need to worry about resale anyway. :D I used to obsess over detailing my car back in the day. Like, washing/waxing every other week. Now? I don't care. I think I've washed the truck twice since I bought it (although I spray off the salt during the winter as needed). I'm not afraid to get it out in the backcountry, even with the risk of a few battle scars. :)

I think the Ram 1500 with 3.6 v6 and 2wd is rated for 25 hwy (a few mpg lower for the 4wd). Though it's been my experience that the EPA's mpg ratings for gasoline rigs are overly optimistic....meaning you might see 25 mpg when a lot of if's are met: if you are empty, driving below 65mph, on flat terrain, no traffic, no head wind, no accelerations, ect.

My 4runner is rated for 22 mpg hwy, but realistically, I'm lucky to break 20 mpg (I've seen 22mpg on the rare occasion, but it certainly isn't the norm even on hwy). I wouldn't be surprised if real world results turned out to be somewhat lower than the EPA's ratings for the Ram as well. The extra gearing in the transmissions help, but you put these gasoline engines under any kind of load and the mpg's start to take a dive.

I think the only way gasoline truck engines of the future will break 30mpg (with consistency) is by going the hybrid route, or they could build a hugely under-powered engine and put it in a super low-riding truck with all kinds of air dams and focus totally on fuel efficiency to the exclusion of any sort of towing or offroad utility....but where is the fun in that? ;)

Me, I'm resigned to the fact that a gasoline SUV or pickup will never be as fuel efficient as I want it to be, and in the near future I'll likely be buying a diesel truck (I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford does with the new Ranger and F-150 V6 powerstroke). Despite that one gripe, I can't really complain too much about a well-made gasoline truck engine. The 4.0l v6 in my 4runner is endearingly reliable and dead-nuts simple (relatively speaking) to maintain. 10k oil changes, change out the air filter when it gets dirty, I'll likely do a radiator flush at 80-90k, and the thing just starts and runs, irrespective of the weather conditions or the hard driving I subject it to. A modern 3/4 ton diesel engine will get nearly the same mpg's as my 4.0l v6 all while providing much higher torque, but they're so much more complex by comparison....everything's a tradeoff I suppose.

You're right, it probably was for the 2WD Ram.
-
Yeah, there's pros and cons to each platform. I knew that going with the ecoboost. Overall, though, it's been a good change from the Tacoma. Good luck with the diesel. Man, lot of turmoil in that arena with VW and now Dodge under fire.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Hopefully he either bought a new domestic or a clapped out old 4wd so he can join the "back in maaaah day/newfangled technologieeers" club :elkgrin:

b9ev

Adventurer
I had a 2005 RM250 that had the low end grunt of a 450 from the same year but absolutely killed them on the top end. Had a Fatty on it, if it had a Gnarly, it would probably have been the perfect technical trail bike. Its always a good idea to pop the stock pipe back out because aftermarket ones dent even quicker, hah.

yeah, really effected the top end, signs off early, not that we ride that way much, tend to lug 'em...if anything made the bottom have a little more grunt, which is a good thing.. Ordered a new FMF Gnarly which is more for bottom end, that is aimed at the stuff we ride... 1st-3rd gear terrain. We can blow that dent out, just keep them in rotation as you smash 'em.

Beta puts that same engine in their beginner-novice enduro X-Trainer, they toss on a real small expansion chamber which moves all the power down low, then detune it a bit so there is no "hit" just smooth linear power delivery. Smashing the pipe kinda does the same thing, but less scientific :D

View attachment 406179

View attachment 406180

Clutch

<---Pass
C'mon. You keep your truck for eons anyway. So what if you drag a new truck through the bush? You won't need to worry about resale anyway. :D I used to obsess over detailing my car back in the day. Like, washing/waxing every other week. Now? I don't care. I think I've washed the truck twice since I bought it (although I spray off the salt during the winter as needed). I'm not afraid to get it out in the backcountry, even with the risk of a few battle scars. :)

Dis is true, just look what I do to brand new bikes...they don't stay new for long! :D

That contractor white paint on the F150 XL's hide scratches pretty well....and yeah I only wash my truck every 3-4 months.

Question on the F150's (anyone) is there a HD suspension package for them? We had one sitting on the parking lot here awhile back, it looked like it had a 2.5" lift on it, but looked factory.

p nut

butter
Dis is true, just look what I do to brand new bikes...they don't stay new for long! :D

That contractor white paint on the F150 XL's hide scratches pretty well....and yeah I only wash my truck every 3-4 months.

Question on the F150's (anyone) is there a HD suspension package for them? We had one sitting on the parking lot here awhile back, it looked like it had a 2.5" lift on it, but looked factory.

Yeah, I've got the white and it does hide stuff well.
_
HD Payload Package. I believe only available with 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.0L V8. Comes with 3.73 e-locking rear and 36 gal tank, standard, as well as 6.5' bed. Gets special HD wheels for it as well. It gets the GVWR up to something like 7,600lbs.

Actually, just looked and found some info:

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

Few pages down, on the page with the truck and slide in camper (wink wink). 7,600lbs on the XL. Upgraded springs and aux trans cooler. Wish I had known about this package when I ordered. Oh well.

Clutch

<---Pass
I had a 2005 RM250 that had the low end grunt of a 450 from the same year but absolutely killed them on the top end. Had a Fatty on it, if it had a Gnarly, it would probably have been the perfect technical trail bike. Its always a good idea to pop the stock pipe back out because aftermarket ones dent even quicker, hah.

*thumbs-up*

Yeah always good to have back up pipes.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, I've got the white and it does hide stuff well.
_
HD Payload Package. I believe only available with 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.0L V8. Comes with 3.73 e-locking rear and 36 gal tank, standard, as well as 6.5' bed. Gets special HD wheels for it as well. It gets the GVWR up to something like 7,600lbs.

Actually, just looked and found some info:

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

Few pages down, on the page with the truck and slide in camper (wink wink). 7,600lbs on the XL. Upgraded springs and aux trans cooler. Wish I had known about this package when I ordered. Oh well.

Mucho grassy ********!

REDROVER

Explorer
This information is incorrect.

Tires are exactly the same size across all trims. The only variation is in the specific tire brand/model.

Shocks on the OR are softer than on the other trims, but are not "stronger" in any way. Bottom of the barrel Bilsteins vs bottom of the barrel Hitachis, and whatever the non-TRD trims use.

The rear diff is larger (8.75" vs 8") and has an electronic locker. Strength / longevity is yet to be determined as the trucks are too new, however, given the prevalence of rear diff issues that seem to be vastly more common on the OR model, I wouldn't bet on this diff outlasting the 8" one.

Tires are NOT exactly the same

TRD off road / TRD PRO P265/70R16

TRD SPORT p265/65R17

LIMITED P265/60R18

SR. SR5, SRV6, SR5 v6, p245/75R16

Shocks on the off road are larger to handle more heat under pressure,

Rear dif doesn't have problems mechanically is great, some oil drop and on the 2016 models,
My 2017 came with updated gasket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz