1990 VW Syncro w/Bostig Expedition Kitted $44,000

totoro

Fully Loaded Low Mileage 1990 Syncro w/Bostig Price: $44000
Instagram: Totorothevan

Special Note:
The van is California plated but will be in Texas from now until June 24th. While there, I will do FREE DELIVERY ANYWHERE in the United States if we arrange it beforehand. After that, it will be available for pickup in Southern California.

Disclosures:
There is a tear in the rear left part of the upholstery above the cabinet (not visible but there)
Gas gauge has never worked since owning - I will try to fix before sale
I removed the catalytic converter to get better performance. You'd have to reinstall that if you live in a strict smog place.
The Ford Bostig conversion isn't CA compliant. God knows why - this makes no sense to me. I have a Smog friendly contact in Southern California that helps me out who I'd be happy connect with the future owner.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HIGHLIGHTS:
Meticulously Maintained
Accident and rust free Southwest Vehicle
Low Mileage
10/10 Body and Paint
10/10 Mechanically
9/10 Custom Interior w all new foam and upholstery
Fully Loaded
Second owner
Records since the factory
New accessories - 45L Engel fridge, house battery, starter, etc.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

For sale is a low-mileage, second-owner 1990 Hightop Syncro. $44,000 is a lot of cheddar. I get that this van is not for everyone. However, I honestly think for what you’re getting - especially compared to many of the other syncros or 4x4 vans available - this is a great deal. It’s in perfect shape so that anyone can just jump in and go. Everything works.

When I purchased this vehicle from its original Arizona owners in 2014, it had 80,000 miles on a clean, bone stock body. I spent a year outfitting the vehicle with almost new everything for a journey to Patagonia. I spent two years traveling in it full-time and just got done restoring it again. This time, I also had a full windows-out paint job done as well. It now has 108,000 miles on the body and 18,000 on the 2.0L Ford Focus Bostig conversion I installed two years ago. I’m selling it because next year I am doing Africa-Europe in a new custom built Toyota Troop Carrier (instagram: fredoniatheambulance).

The body underwent a professional done windows-out paint job in May of this year. The only rust to be found was some surface rust on the rear window, which I had removed and repaired. Some pinstripes from years of mean bushes in the dry Southwest, a couple of small dents from the previous owner, and one from me were repaired as well. I also had the Westy/Adventurewagen “service" holes in the panel sealed and the top's windows refreshed/resealed.

The interior features newly upholstered leather seats, rear bench and bed. The cabinetry is made from a 2" custom aluminum frame with a formica-covered cedar wood front to save weight. Weighs about 75 lbs total. The floor is tough diamond plated aluminum which can be scrubbed or washed out for ease of use - it’s a bit utilitarian but versatile. A nice rug makes it feel homey.

Overall, the van has been used but always meticulously maintained. Records stretch back a quarter of a century as the original owners kept detailed logs from the time they drove it off the lot to the day they sold it to me (mostly excel sheets spanning 25 years). I replaced almost every part while I owned it anyway.

Everything works.

Below, I listed all the upgrades done in the three years I’ve owned the van. The previous owners’ records total somewhere around $25,000 in maintenance. I didn’t include their work here because they left the van completely stock and performed almost no upgrades. Everything they maintained is pretty much new, which can be proved with further documentation. My upgrades include an additional $35,000 something more. I can provide almost all the work orders, purchases, and excel sheets upon request if necessary.

Important Stuff
2017 Windows-out full paint job. The paint and body were in very good condition before hand (8/10) but had lots of little scratches and dings from years of use and a few dents. I decided I wanted to have it looking new.
2015 Bostig Conversion - I replaced the original 2.1 Wasserboxer with a 2003 Ford Focus crate motor, which now has 18,000 miles on it. Just to give you an idea - this kit costed around $10,000 and took a friend and I 3 weeks to install.
2015 - new clutch when I did the engine conversion
-Bostig upgrades: high capacity oil pan and transmission and engine skid plates
2017 - new upholstery. New foam and imitation leather front seats, rear bench, and bed.
2017 - new interior door panels to match the seats.
2015 - Professionally built cabinetry. When I bought the van, it had the famously ugly AdventureWagen interior, which I determined had to go ASAP. I thought about just installing Westfalia cabinets but had a few issues. 1) I wanted to save weight, 2) I don’t cook inside rendering the stove unnecessary, 3) while westfalia did an awesome job I thought I could update the design for my needs, mainly by making a rear sliding closet and using the space next to the bench as a cabinet instead of a table. To reduce weight, we used 2” aluminum tubes to create the frame. After installing aluminum shelves, I had a cabinet builder make a light-weight front for the cabinetry, which he glued/screwed onto the aluminum structure. Then, we installed a sink and a super beautiful (and light) mahogany stained countertop. Overall, I estimate the whole structure probably weighs 70-80 pounds.
2017 - new GoWesty aluminum radiator
2017 New old man emu shocks
2017 Schwenk lift springs
2017 new clutch/slave master cylinder
2017 new drum brakes
2017 new starter battery
2017 new speedometer cable
2017 - new cv boots all around
2017 - new optima house battery (brand new - I stole the old ones for my new vehicle)
2016 - all new professionally installed electrical wiring for interior
2016 - new AC system. Used the same system as before but adapted it to work with the new Ford engine. Basically, new AC pump, hoses, filter, and freeon.
Now It blows ice cold.
2015 (5) 15” steel south african wheels
2015 BFG 215s - 50% tread left.
2013 - Stainless steel gowesty coolant lines

Accesories
Custom front skid plate
Bostig rear skid plate
Bostig transmission skid plate
Removable water tanks (15 gal capacity)
RMW twin peaks bumper
Twin Rocky Mountain Westy rear swingaways
Rocky Mountain tire carrier plate
Large aluminess box
Custom safari rack w/surfboard carrier
Yakima Mega Warrior with extension
10ft ARB Awning
Fantastic fan roof vent
Engel 45l (brand new - I stole the old one for my new vehicle)
Renogy 100w solar pane w/controller
1100W puresinewwave inverter
Hella fog lights
Hella spot lights
deep blue marine fuse box
deep blue marine high capacity 4.2 amp plugs
t3technique wind deflectors
german powder coated truck mirrors
propane tank - I uninstalled this because I don’t cook inside and propane was too hard to find in latin america. It comes with the van if you want to remount it. I would recommend a portable system instead.

Recommendations
There is a tear in the rear left ceiling upholstery which happened while reinstalling the cabinets. This whole panel could be replaced if you're motivated.
Snorkel - if you do a lot of water crossings, you can do a diy project easily enough.
I would remove the full body skid plates unless you’re doing serious off-roading. They weigh like 200 pounds. For a cross country trip with some off-roading - Probably only need the engine skid plate.
An LED light bar. I never drive at night but could be helpful.
I would add another 100W solar panel if you boondock a lot.

NO TRADES! SORRY.

PM me to talk more

totoro

00p0p_5wqPPgKlvNt_600x450.jpg

00t0t_9lp3tzoKIW1_600x450.jpg

00o0o_cG9qCBafMyD_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_8et2JTfVC3y_600x450.jpg

00V0V_gA6b2XhXHmr_600x450.jpg

00B0B_3dPcJvwRC9g_1200x900.jpg

01010_2WsOwky4iF0_600x450.jpg

01212_c0scsK7PmT3_600x450.jpg

00v0v_go2OlOQeZ3T_600x450.jpg

00n0n_6v9NJHvlPhW_600x450.jpg

00V0V_UUgz8KfCXu_600x450.jpg

00P0P_1vcg2RVexgf_600x450.jpg

00B0B_5Q5QyEk89NU_600x450.jpg

00X0X_72nR6e8c3Qv_600x450.jpg

00A0A_iXM4tUuhyOL_600x450.jpg

Keyne

Adventurer
Looks great. Always loved the high tops (no canvas and less complication). We have a high top Sprinter and it's great having a solid roof and being able to just walk to the back whenever you want. GLWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online