2nd vs. 3rd Gen Tacoma

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Ride is much nicer and more planted feeling - especially on the freeway (higher speeds).
I only test drove a 3rd gen so I don't have the experience you do. Other than the engine being a little happier on the Interstate I didn't think the stock ride was much different. That didn't surprise me since the frame, suspension and steering are basically carried over. Toyota increased the spring rates and the truck rides about an inch higher, though. Also I'm comparing to a 2nd gen with FOX 2.5 IFP sprung with 650# coils, so my memory of the OEM suspension was it was typical Toyota soft. The stock 3rd gen was definitely more soft than my truck rides now but certainly would be possible it's stiffened compared to the older truck. Toyota trucks have always been sprung kind of soft from the factory in my experience.

p nut

butter
Thanks for all of the info guys, lots of good stuff here.

The two guys who recommended I look at an F150 just drove about four hours of googling. Holy cow you can get a LOT more truck for your money if you are looking at an F150 vs. a Tacoma. I think I will go test drive both trucks head to head to see which I like better, but I do remember being super unimpressed with the 3.5l in the tacoma, and it sounds like the 2.7 ecoboost is a sweetheart of a motor.

Too bad you can't get the 2.7 in the tacoma chassis...best of both worlds

I went through the same thing a couple years ago, except with a Tundra and F150. I understand reliability was a concern going domestic. I was a life-long Toyota guy, and never thought I'd stray. But Tundra really hadn't changed much and MPG was dismal. So I looked at the F150 and was impressed. Back seats were huge, and slightly bigger than Crewmax, which my kids appreciate. Being named the safest truck sealed the deal: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannm...inum-f-150-is-the-safest-pickup/#45596a042236
_
Regarding the 2.7L motor, the block is a CGI--same as the diesels. No one frets about a turbo diesel at 200k miles. Knock on wood, I hope that I won't run into issues. There are many that are past 100k miles with no issues (remember these came out in 2015). If the turbo thing bothers you, the 3.5L (N/A) is available. But test drive them both first. 2.7L is a hoot to drive. Good luck.

fifty

Adventurer
I’m looking at the same, a 4.0 vs the new v6...

Another question is the transmission. I want a manual. I haven’t looked too hard at what’s available on a new Tacoma. I’m assuming they are available in a Manual as well as an auto.

Any details into the durability between the two or tq rating?
I will Be s/c the motor, nothing big. About 6 psi.

JoeTRD

Around here, the price for a 2012-2015 Tacoma with some 60,000km on the ODO is only $4-5k less than a brand new one, so getting the third gen was a no brainer. Zero complaints from me, a year in and I still love the truck.

same case for me.

I have the TRD Offroad dcsb
It isnt the best for kids. I put my nephews child seat in the back a few times and it is tight. But otherwise love the truck. Works great for my needs.
I know it doesn't sound ideal but the power you some what get used to and learn.

Its actually not that underpowered if ECT is on, actually pretty quick. Problem is with ECT off you are running with their eco atkinson cycle **** which is why you feel so underpowered. The TSB on the transmission also greatly helped mine.

I will say though if you are expecting a family and what not you may want to really consider that 4runner instead though. Truthfully if I didn't need the bed for carrying capacity and the ability to move stuff I would've bought the 4runner instead.

Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one if you aren't unreasonable.
I know on another forum there's a lot of guys that complain constantly about their 3rd gen.
No they are not perfect...no vehicle is. They all have flaws but from all the flaws I've found with the 3rd gen, theres plenty of greatness about them.

I've had the TSB for transmission and its great now. I have just found I also have the known issue of the weather stripping around the windows coming loose so that I will need to bring in to get addressed soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94