Subaru Impreza "XV" - Building A Crosstrek / Michigan Adventure

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Finally got the Subaru's windows tinted. Did factory tint - 35% all around. Should help keep the heat off Jack Stilts Jr. in the summer. Last year was brutal.

Not much else going on with it. Still enjoying the hell out of it. Winter tires have dropped the MPGs down a bit, and it's only discouraging since it's been the warmest, driest winter I can remember. Average has been 30-40 with spots of rain, and that's just crazy. It's Michigan! Where's my cold, snowy winter? Sigh...

Anyway, getting cabin fever. Hopefully taking this on a road trip soon.

IMG_20170110_1556555_zpsacb8wfqv.jpg

IMG_20170112_1204489_zpsshnaehjt.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
In the words of Run DMC, "Tinted windows don't mean nothing they kno0w whose inside".

Looks good. I have to get the wife's Crosstrek windows done too.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Got the Subaru a new friend - a Volvo V50 AWD. Also installing a few LEDs on the Subaru - marker lights, cargo lights, and the rest of the exterior lights soon.

IMG_20170126_16430243_zps97dwq0zi.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I ran a couple wires up from the cargo light to a led strip on mine. Works good but I still need to hide the wires.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
V50 is the wagon right? nice score...I love Volvos. owned one in 94, it was a nice car, but I wished it was the wagon....not the sedan.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
V50 is the wagon right? nice score...I love Volvos. owned one in 94, it was a nice car, but I wished it was the wagon....not the sedan.

Correct! Wanted a full-size XC70, but the price on this one was just right.

For the Subaru, I did some troubleshooting the other night. I've been trying to get the stock auxiliary input working and even had a harness built for it. Got the whole thing taken apart and it still doesn't work. I'll be replacing the head unit soon with an aftermarket one, which is what I should have done in the first place...sigh.

Anyway, I also replaced all the marker lights with LEDs, so every light in the front end has been replaced. It looks angry without the headlights on, though.

IMG_20170131_2044162_zps8hjfctoe.jpg

IMG_20170131_2043277_zpsvtvvkiuo.jpg

I'm also in the process of planning out my camping solutions for this year. Without the Xterra and the rooftop tent, I'm limited to the Subaru or Volvo and my Thule roof box (which is all well and good). Not planning on doing any heavy "overland" trips, but definitely planning on traveling and camping a lot (with a lot of "soft-roading"). That being said, I'm picking up an Oz tent RV3, but found out that it won't fit inside either car OR the Thule box (too long @ 6.5 feet). My solution was to trade in my Thule box (Force L) for a longer one so I can fit all my camping equipment up on the roof, Oz tent included. I'm picking up a Thule Alpine, which is a whopping 7.5 feet long! It might look a little ridiculous on the Subaru, but at least it will be functional for us.

Looking at tires soon, too. Trying to decide if the Subaru will need all-terrains, or if I can get away with some good high-performance all-seasons.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I think the sub will look awesome with ATs. just get a set of P series AT like I am for my patriot. We are getting the Kumho AT51 tires this spring for it. Going with a P series keeps drivability and milage UP. And with a small rig, and not much in the way of gnarly rocks, where we go....A GOOD p series tire will be all that is needed.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I think the sub will look awesome with ATs. just get a set of P series AT like I am for my patriot. We are getting the Kumho AT51 tires this spring for it. Going with a P series keeps drivability and milage UP. And with a small rig, and not much in the way of gnarly rocks, where we go....A GOOD p series tire will be all that is needed.

I'd really like to get some ATs. Problem is that with the steelies and winter setup right now, I'm drawn to some actual wheels. Been looking at the 17" Subaru Impreza Sport wheels, but that limits my tire choice to all-seasons only since there are no ATs in such a small size. I might settle for high-performance all-seasons, but maybe I can find some 16" wheels that aren't all chrome and gross to fit some ATs.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Nice build!

I'd stay with a 205/70-15 and go with an all-terrain like Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S or new G015. Bigger rims and lower profile tires will just make for a harsher ride.

Very happy going from 17" stock wheels to older Outback/Legacy 15" wheels with 1" spacers and 205/70-15 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on 2010 Impreza OBS with 1" strut spacers and King springs.

Much more comfortable ride and also saved approx 2 lbs overall on each corner over stock 17" wheel/tire combo. Maybe consider the 1" wheel spacers or lower offset wheels to give a little more track width?

crzdSG2.jpg

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Nice build!

I'd stay with a 205/70-15 and go with an all-terrain like Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S or new G015. Bigger rims and lower profile tires will just make for a harsher ride.

Very happy going from 17" stock wheels to older Outback/Legacy 15" wheels with 1" spacers and 205/70-15 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on 2010 Impreza OBS with 1" strut spacers and King springs.

Much more comfortable ride and also saved approx 2 lbs overall on each corner over stock 17" wheel/tire combo. Maybe consider the 1" wheel spacers or lower offset wheels to give a little more track width?

I just wanted to give it a cleaner / sportier look for the summer. Then again, this is going to be my dedicated camping car with the new Thule roof box, so I may as well go all-out and turn it into a proper Crosstrek with some all-terrains. Perhaps I will keep the 15" steelies and get the Geolandars.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I downsized to 16's for the winter myself. I didn't consider 15's because I figured they wouldn't clear the calipers but now idk

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
A whole bunch of pics are broken! All except the Volvo, funnily enough, which looks awesome, BTW.

Well thank you kindly! I'm not sure why some of my pictures work and some don't. Didn't change anything on my end.

I've got a whole lot of goodies lined up for the little Subie.

• Geolandars in 205/70R15.
  • Torklift eco-hitch (invisible hitch) and wiring.
  • Primitive racing front skid plate.
  • SSD front light bar and Hella driving lights.

Since this is going to be my newly-dedicated camping car, I figure it should outfit it correctly with all the things I need for some light off-road camping.

vicali

Adventurer
Nice, I would run 15 on our Forester but the brakes won't squeeze in there..
What does the ssd light bar look like? I built my own;
Daisy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier