Subaru Impreza "XV" - Building A Crosstrek / Michigan Adventure

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Just picked up this little gem the other night for the wife, but she's been kind enough to let me build it up a bit. My goals are to essentially turn this into a Crosstrek.

This is a daily driver for us, but the ultimate goal is to make it a bit more capable for exploring and camping. The other vehicle we use for that is a 2002 Xterra - supremely uncomfortable, not fuel efficient, and outdated. This is the polar opposite. Comfy, new, simple, and gives us 33MPG. Being a base model trim level, my plans are to "build" it in the sense that I'd just like to turn it into a higher trim level and make it more practical for us. It's going to dance the line between hot hatch, rally car, and exploration vehicle. Oh, and family hauler. Weird combination, right? We'll see how it goes. It got factory roof rails added and badging removed after its first hour in the driveway.

Stats:

Year: 2012
Make: Subaru
Model: Impreza
Trim: Base hatchback
Drivetrain: 5-speed AWD / 2.0L DOHC
Color: Black

IMG_20170507_1646056_zps3a7r9xzd.jpg

Quick Reference

August 2016 / 50,000 miles
Dealership work - Safety inspection, open recalls, wheel alignment, new Continental tires, oil change, front & rear brakes.
Added euro-style Subaru crossbars and auxiliary input for stock radio.

September 2016 / 52,000 miles
Dealership work - replaced HVAC controls, CEL P2005 P2006; replaced intake valves.

September 2016 / 53,000 miles
Fog light installation, ADF 1" strut spacers, seat covers, STi shift knob, STi alloy pedals, muffler delete.
5x Pirelli Scorpion ATR 205/70/R15 tires.
Bosch wipers, SilverStar headlights, K&N drop-in filter / charcoal filter removed.

October 2016 / 54,000 miles
Rally Armor flaps installed.

December 2016 / 57,000 miles
Winter tires installed - General Altimax Arctic 205/70R15
All-wheel alignment, synthetic oil change

January 2017 / 60,000 miles
35% wrap-around tint installed

March 2017 / 63,000 miles
Rear spoiler installed, spark plugs replaced.

April 2017 / 64,000 miles
ADF 2" spacer lift kit installed - 2 3/8" rear with multi-link spacers
General Grabber 205/75R15 installed.

May 2017 / 65,000 miles
Dealership oil change / 2.0L oil consumption test started

Modifications & upgrades:

[X] USB / auxiliary input for stock stereo
[X] Subaru rubber floor mats / cargo mat / cargo cover
[X] Subaru euro crossbars
[X] Charcoal filter removal / K&N filter installed
[X] Fog lights with H11 yellow bulbs
[X] Muffler delete / seat covers
[X] 205/70R15 steel wheels & General Altimax Arctic (winter) / 205/75R15 General Grabbers (summer)
[X] STi alloy pedals & STi shift knob
[X] Rally Armor flaps
[X] 35% window tint / blacked out grille
[X] ADF 2" strut & multi-link spacers
[X] Impreza Sport hatch spoiler
[ ] Primitive Racing front skid plate
[ ] SSD front light bar / 2x Hella driving lights
[ ] Torklift 2" invisible hitch

Expedition gear on board for travel:

[ ] MaxTrax
[x] Oz tent RV3
[x] Kayaks - Pelican Trailblazer 100
[x] Thule skybox - Pulse Alpine
[x] Tread Lightly! Trasharoo
[x] 2x Fire extinguishers
[x] 2x 30' tow straps & D-rings / dampener / synthetic shackles
[x] State maps / trail maps
[x] 2x ENO hammock setups (hammock, underquilt, tarp, bug net)
[x] CB radio
[x] Ruger 10/22 Takedown (for the zombies)
[x] ARB awning with LabRak mount
[x] BioLite stove / kitchen gear / coffee

IMG_20160802_1742266_zpsenyfdern.jpg

IMG_20160803_2120114_zpsz8bezsxu.jpg

IMG_20160804_0717542_zpsxinu3ekc.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
AWESOME! Needs Rally Armor Mudflaps.

Thank you sir :D Needs a lot of things!

We took it out on a little road trip to visit family in northern Michigan for a few days, and I love it even more. The Thule skybox doubled our cargo space, and even loaded down with 200+lbs of extra people and baby stuff, we still managed to achieve 33MPG.

Before we left, I did a little dissection and installed the factory auxiliary input, which is located in the center console. I got a good feel for the guts of the way this thing is designed, so I'll be comfortable installing the aftermarket shifter and new head unit when the time comes. While the interior was under the knife, I routed the GPS charger behind all the panels so I'm not driven crazy by seeing it flop all over the place.

IMG_20160806_0943432_zpsvhx5t5ae.jpg

IMG_20160806_1034322_zps5g4k6kpl.jpg

IMG_20160809_2312360_zpsnbdyxdcu.jpg

IMG_20160809_1706264_zpszkjibsbu.jpg

IMG_20160808_2117595_zpswsjcfmap.jpg

IMG_20160809_1458230_zpsd4izg0h9.jpg

07BlackSpecV

Adventurer
Man, ringing my bell. This time last year I was applying to jobs in the Boyne City area. Man...agggghhh some day right?

Were is that lighthouse? Looks like it would be a cool one to visit.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Man, ringing my bell. This time last year I was applying to jobs in the Boyne City area. Man...agggghhh some day right?

Were is that lighthouse? Looks like it would be a cool one to visit.

Some day, you and me both!

That is the Sturgeon Point lighthouse on the Huron side. They're open to climb up to the top, but we missed their open hours by about an hour.

Got the Subaru back from the dealership. Threw a couple of codes - P2005 and P2006. Both valves were replaced and she's purring like a kitten.

Good timing too, since I have an Anderson lift on the way :)

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Getting a whole lot done this month :)

Got my Anderson 1" strut spacers in, and I can't praise Patrick's company enough. Shipped super fast, great quality parts. Also getting in fog lights with yellow bulbs, muffler delete, seat covers, STi shift knob and alloy pedals, and Pirelli ATR tires for the stock steel wheels.

Installed a K&N drop-in filter and removed the charcoal filter. What a difference! I've heard good things about that combination, but holy hell. This econobox gets up and moves now!

IMG_20160910_1329330_zpsq4pi0g5b.jpg

ADVSubaru

Observer
Getting a whole lot done this month :)

Got my Anderson 1" strut spacers in, and I can't praise Patrick's company enough. Shipped super fast, great quality parts. Also getting in fog lights with yellow bulbs, muffler delete, seat covers, STi shift knob and alloy pedals, and Pirelli ATR tires for the stock steel wheels.

Installed a K&N drop-in filter and removed the charcoal filter. What a difference! I've heard good things about that combination, but holy hell. This econobox gets up and moves now!

Nice! A lifted Subaru is a happy Subaru! The Pirelli Scorpion ATR are a fairly mild tire, but you'll be amazed at where a Subaru can take you. I'm going to have to get a K&N drop in filter now :).

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Nice! A lifted Subaru is a happy Subaru! The Pirelli Scorpion ATR are a fairly mild tire, but you'll be amazed at where a Subaru can take you. I'm going to have to get a K&N drop in filter now :).

Keep up the good work. Considering a Subaru in the future for my next vehicle.

Looking forward to your progress, we are a two Subaru household now and I could use some project idea...

Thanks guys! Appreciate the support.

As for the tires, I've had really good experience with them on other vehicles. I wanted a mild all-terrain tire that will also rock in the Michigan winter, and those were a great candidate. I was limited due to the size I was working with. These are 1" bigger than stock, and with the 1" ADF spacers, I'll actually have some ground clearance now! :D I have a lot of confidence already in the full-time AWD and the 5spd transmission.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Got a few things done amidst preparations for Overland Expo East!

We have here a set of 1" Anderson strut spacers, fog lights with yellow bulbs installed, alloy STi pedals, and a little muffler delete.
IMG_20160917_1933294_zpsirqkgors.jpg

The strut spacers were installed with the assistance of a very helpful local Subaru guru. I went with the 1" for two reasons - to fit the bigger tires (still on order) and also to get the saggy Subaru off the ground.

IMG_20160918_1544027_zpsv6bw5vzz.jpg

The pedals were installed because I'm spoiled - I've been driving "hot hatches" and performance cars for my job over the last five years and I'm used to the way performance pedals feel when shifting and braking and such. The stock rubber pedals were soft and spongy, and now they feel solid. Same story with the STi shifter knob. The factory one felt rubbery and soft. New one is much more stiff.

IMG_20160918_1509087_zpsbgaxqkts.jpg

IMG_20160926_1651094_zps0rsqqn7z.jpg

Seat covers were an eBay special, but the ended up fitting pretty well. Matched the interior, too!

IMG_20160916_1353099_zpse5dloxr3.jpg

The muffler delete was installed because again - I'm used to a performance car. While I'm not trying to turn this little econobox into a performance vehicle, I still like the aura of one. Removing the muffler and installing this little pipe gave me exactly what I wanted - a little bit of 2.0L growl without sounding like a ricer (or a **********). No drone on the highway, nice and quiet. I'm glad I can hear the car when I shift, and that was my goal. My only issue with it is that it hangs down a little bit further than I like, so I'm planning on trimming it down an inch or two.

IMG_20160918_1841431_zpsr5vqhvgj.jpg

IMG_20160918_1713117_zpsrlhr3phx.jpg

Lastly, I found a steal of a deal on the OEM rear cargo cover and rubber mat.

IMG_20160922_1714381_zpsywjta1ju.jpg

I'll be wiring in the fog lights this weekend (have do to a bit of splicing & soldering since they're not OEM), and this little Subaru only needs a few more things to be complete!

sharkoverland

Observer
2012 Subaru Impreza Mild Build

Excited to see another Subaru build . Keep it up. I will also be attending the Expo east this year in Subaru

tinbasher

Observer
i have a 2015 impreza sedan..... looking forward to pics of the new tires. I've been thinking 1" spacers and 205 general grabbers. that or i'll just trade it in on a new truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles