noJeeps 2014 Silverado Tow Rig/Expedition Truck

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The integrated CHMSL is pretty sweet. Love to see stuff like this that has been well thought out, and manufactured. Red neck or not. It's still pretty darned cool. :beer:
I'm envisioning a hog hunt at night, on a big arsed ranch. :)
Let me know when we're going! :elkgrin:

noJeepshere

Adventurer
That's a GM factory piece, so it was very easy to install and everything works perfectly.

I could do a clamp-on .50 cal mount...

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Found a tonneau cover that will fit, with a few modifications, so now I have secure storage in the bed for my tools and camping gear.
4cf96b4561e7fcabefaa6c3fa92bbe39.jpg

swrider

Observer
Nice looking truck!!!
Curious as to why you wanted a sport bar, just to mount the lights or was it just for the cool factor. Me likes it :)
Also, if you don't mind, what size tires are you running with that leveling kit?

Thanks.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Nice looking truck!!!
Curious as to why you wanted a sport bar, just to mount the lights or was it just for the cool factor. Me likes it :)
Yes, and thanks. I didn't really care for any of the push bar designs and front bumper lighting solutions there were, and I've always liked the look of roll bars in the bed of pickups, so when I saw GM had come out with one, I was sold.
Also, if you don't mind, what size tires are you running with that leveling kit?

Thanks.

Currently the tire size is 255/70-18 load range D, though I might go with a 265/70-18 before too long.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Finally got the roll bar lights wired up. The relay is triggered by the high beams so that they can only come on with the high beams, this makes it really nice for use on the highway. I also wanted them up high like this because many light bars glare intensively and kinda defeat their own purpose when they're low on the bumper. As you can see here, I don't have that issue, yet they're still very bright. One pic is the stock high beams, the other is with the light bars.
621e267ac27b27356e7dff763cd16aec.jpg
74dbe7746688789819e571fe0edfc6a0.jpg
d7c3f3f608528dda9363a4d15ea2495f.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That came out real nice. :victory:
I was expecting to see more glare off the hood. Looks like you've got them aimed perfectly, and they have a good bottom cutoff.
If that doesn't light up the eyeballs of wandering animals, I don't know what would. Very cool! :beer:

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Thanks, I'm more than happy with how they turned out.

Yup, they miss the hood entirely, no glare in the side mirrors either. I put them up high to prevent the glare that many front bumper applications have.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Looks good! How do you like that intake, find much of a difference? Really loud under load? I've been thinking of picking one up, I also have one of those borla stainless dual exhaust they sell at the dealerships but haven't installed it yet. Just don't want the noise to be too loud for the wife and kids.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
My magnaflow exhaust is more noisy than the factory Borla stuff on the inside, but it is never loud enough to be annoying in any way, and when cruising on the interstate I can barely hear it. Same with the intake, never so loud as to be annoying and at speed you can hardly hear it. Seat of the pants feel suggests I picked up about 20 hp and the torque off the line is much better, it picks up and goes from a stoplight much quicker. Overall, worth the money.

swrider

Observer
Wow, those lights came out really nice. I didn't know about the glare problem when mounting them on the bumper, that's what i was going for.
Quick question, you said you might go to a 265/70-18 tire. why not go with a 285/65-18? Any preference of one over the other?
Thanks!

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Contact pressure and rolling resistance. A smaller tire puts greater pressure on the road, and to a point, increases traction, even in the dirt, and a narrower tire offers less resistance to rolling, thus increasing economy.

When I went to get new tires for this right after purchase, neither the stock size (265/65) or the 265/70 size offered anything above a "B" ply, and since I go down dirt roads all the time and max out the tow rating, I needed a tougher tire, and this was the only all terrain in an 18" near the stock size that there was (255/70-18) I live in a snowy area and the size is great for driving on snow and ice, but they're not great in dirt or rocks since I need to air them up rock hard to get the correct tread contact pattern.

The wider 285 would slip all over the place in snowy weather and decrease economy otherwise, but they would do better in the dirt since I wouldn't need to run 50 lbs per tire. The guys that say the wider tires don't hurt economy probably don't drive 30k miles a year (like I do) and drive hard enough that economy sucks for them no matter what.

So long answer short, the 265/65-18 stock tire only comes in B ply and I drive too much for the 285/65-18 to make sense, so that leaves either the 255/70-18 or now 265/70-18 (which didn't come with "E" rated treads 7 months ago) and I want a slightly taller tire than what's on there so 265/70-18 it is.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Hello Sir, I have a question, I got my hands on a used take off "Sierra" sport bar, how much is it worth and does it come with the led lights and/or wiring? Thinking of putting it in my ol blue truck since I don't want to lose the tonneau cover on my brown one. Also picked up a used AFE warm air intake and installed it today, it feels like quite a different and great sound. Probably the best result from any intake I've installed on any truck. Also picked up one of these black wrinkle finish Lund bull bars with led light, didn't really want it but it was a great price and package deal with the intake.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Hey Adam, sorry I didn't see your post until now, I've been crazy running around doing things. Pictures to come of those things.

As for your question, if it's still valid: GM has them listed for about a grand without the lights, but my dealer gave me a better deal for it. The lights did not come with it, but the bar has provisions for the lights to be mounted and wired.

Back to my truck, last weekend I went camping with my friend in the high Uintah mountains of Utah, and it snowed on us. It was predicted and we were expecting it, but not a foot and a half. Made for a fun time getting out of there. Still a fun time.
f3aadd87fd5a406b133178d352ea8f08.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700