noJeeps 2014 Silverado Tow Rig/Expedition Truck

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I bought this 2014 Chevy Silverado a few months back to replace my old 99 GMC Yukon as my daily driver. I still have the Yukon, in fact, it's the reason I bought the truck, so I can tow it to Moab.

The Yukon: it's got 260k miles on the stock engine and trans, but after that, it's not stock, I swapped out the transfer case for an NP241 manual shift, a kingpin Dana 60 with an ORD axle swap kit, and a 14 bolt full float rear axle, both axles have 4.56 gears and the rear is a gov-lock, to be upgraded to selectable lockers in a few years. This summer it will get front and rear bumpers. With the axle swap, it's not very good on the highway, and it's not really intended to be a highway hauler anymore, it's done its time.

Enough about that. The Silverado is my new daily driver, tow rig and expedition/camping truck. I wanted a base model work truck, but made a few compromises to get something that wasn't white, as it is, it's got the 5.3 and the full factory towing package including the lower axle gears. Inside it has the bench seat up front and weather tech floor liners. Since I bought it, I put a 2" leveling kit up front and 1.5" lift blocks out back, and 255 bfg KO2's. Under the hood I've installed an S&B intake and a Magnaflow exhaust. Breathing easier, it makes a beautiful sound and I get 19 mpg commuting daily, and 20ish at 80 on the interstate.

Soon I will be installing a contractor canopy (that sits 3" higher than the cab) with barn doors and a trio of led light bars on the leading edge of the canopy. Inside of that I'm building a sleeping platform with drawers to hold the tools that will keep the Yukon going.

I'm looking forward to many years and miles of exploring and towing with the truck I have named Harold.
4998de7bd7d1a6dd32e152ef670b67d4.jpg
55c119513121e23592251553e82a8a8a.jpg

Last edited:

Klutch7

Nice looking truck! The K2XX body style is really growing on me, and I like the 2014/15 front ends better than 2016+. Excited to see what you do with this for towing/camping duty.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That is one sexy beast! :beer:
I've not ridden in a new-ish GM truck, but it seems pretty consistent that if you want an awesome comfortable ride, it's hard to beat this truck. :)

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Nice looking truck! The K2XX body style is really growing on me, and I like the 2014/15 front ends better than 2016+. Excited to see what you do with this for towing/camping duty.
Same here, GM (Chevy) hit it out of the ballpark with the execution of this body style, everything about just looks gooood. But then they whacked the front end with an ugly stick, hard.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
That is one sexy beast! :beer:
I've not ridden in a new-ish GM truck, but it seems pretty consistent that if you want an awesome comfortable ride, it's hard to beat this truck. :)

The ride is odd, on one hand, it's nearly as nice as a Suburban, and Cadillac quiet on the highway, so you would think the rear springs would be too soft to hold up a load, but as you can see above, 800-ish lbs of tounge weight and ~300 lbs of camping gear in the bed and it hardly squatted, and towed like a champ.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Also, I've changed my plans for the Silverado a bit...

I'm no longer doing the contractor canopy, as I was nervous about getting it and spending that kind of money on a custom built cap that I'm not sure I'll like, as I really love the profile of the pickup (ie the cab and bed) If I wanted a big enclosed box I'd have bought a Suburban. I really grew to like the way Australians and South Africans (having lived in SA for several years and travelled to Oz) build their trucks, kind of more minimalist for a daily use, multi use truck.

So, I'm going with a sport bar and a roof top tent (my neighbor can hook me with Tepui Tents for a really good price) that will stay off most of the time. I'll also install a good tonno (tonneu, tonneau?) cover and still build my drawer/shelf system inside the bed.

Attachments

• ford ranger.jpg
    ford ranger.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 664
  • isuzu kb.jpg
    isuzu kb.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 664
  • sports bar silverado.jpg
    sports bar silverado.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 25

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Hey buddy, good to see you ended up with the bronze alloy! What are the axle gears? I'm liking mine more and more, certainly took awhile to grow on me though, but I've recently added the leveling kit and rear firestone airbags and it feels a lot better. Just kind of wish I had the Chevy version.

IMG_4375_zpsywxxy2nw.jpg

IMG_4359_zps0nai2uxv.jpg

IMG_4045_zpsgzs1zpqb.jpg

The ol Chevy though, she's looking rough around the edges. Needs some love Hahahaha

IMG_4164_zps0veps3pg.jpg

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Hey Adam, how's life in Canada eh? Yeah I annoyed at least 6 salesmen and almost signed on as many trucks before this beauty caught my eye, and I couldn't be happier. Mine's got the 3.42 gears. GM offers these trucks with a Max Trailer Tow package that includes 3.73 gears, but those are rarer than hens teeth, at least around these parts. What tonneau did you go with? I need to find one that is compatible with my incoming sport (redneck) bar.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Not too bad, can't complain. Another baby on the way here shortly so it's been hectic with everything else going on. Hope you have been well. Sounds like yours is pretty close to mine, I also have the 3.42s, there isn't a lot extra in the max tow pkg. I'll never come close to towing the 9100# this is rated for I don't think anyhow, but 3.73s would have been nice. My tonneau is a rugged cover 2, it's ok, but I can't believe what they want for these covers. It wasn't my first choice, and if you want to add any other bed accessories, this is not the cover for it. I'm thinking of getting a topper instead. The rollbar would work with a pace Edwards rolltop or something, there are some soft vinyl ones that sit inside the bed rails. The sport bar does take up quite a bit of the box rail top. I think you should paint the red lettering insert though ��

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Seems like the REVtek (or something like that) is the best non soft cover for these with the roll bar, it's a roll up vinyl covered aluminum one that's very secure. And I'm probably just going to remove the red insert so it's just the Silverado cutout.

The Yukon weighs in right at 6000 lbs and on a trailer it's pushing 8500+ lbs, so I definitely make use of that tow rating.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey NoJeep I dont know how I missed you buying a new truck but I want to say congratulations on your new purchase. It looks great and like Bushcoat says I am sure you will get a lot of use out of her. I am curious about what you said regarding the purchase of the roof top tents. Maybe you could hook me up with a deal as I might want to buy one next year. Anyways keep posting pics of your fine new ride and lets see you out exploring. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94