Swiss Army, our 1985 Saurer 6DM build.

olliwood

Wonderful truck I'm really interested in your built up. I live near switzerland and I'm looking for an ex-army Saurer 6DM to build an overland truck. Did you have other pictures of your works?

olliwood

hey Olliwood

In Raron Vallais in Switzerland is an auction from the army and they sells many of their vehicles

https://www.armyliqshop.ch/fahrzeugeersatzteile/verkaufstag-raron-vs/

its the cheapest way to buy a 6 or 10 dm

Hi Joz amryliq is exactly where I'm looking at. I've seen they've for sale a 6DM and also a 10DM but this one, if I've understand right the german, have some engine problems. The other point it's that I've to understand how to import it in Italy.

Did you know the measures of the rear part of the truck? just to think (start dreaming) about the size of the living module.

Last edited:

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Measuring our unit, the original 'frame' is 16' 6" x 7' 9", or in Millimeters, 5029 x 2362. The outside dimension of the original cargo box, is 7' 3" x 14' 1", or 2209 x 4293. With the new addition, it's 16' 1' long, or 4877mm.

-joz-

exact ! the 10dm on the last site has a crankshaft bearing damage

but the most of the 10dm are still used in the army ! i think in 2-3 years they will sold the 10dm

olliwood

Thank you Grenadiers. I'm following the evolution of your Saurer hope to see more pictures😀

I see that you stayed in the lenght of the chassis in the back of the truck. I was thinking about a living module more longer then the chassis to have more living space. I need it for a bunk bed for my two babies.

Last edited:

Grenadiers

Adventurer
No problem, good to have others interested in the Saurer, not many out there. Temporarily attached the original electrical panel to figure out how to build a cabinet around it. Note the original water lines; installing on ceiling to drop down for shower (located in doorway, and one on passenger side outer wall).

Left side of cabinet taking shape.

tooFATtoDRIVE

Hi Jonas,

I have few questions about Saurer trucks and buying one of them - not sure whether Saurer 6DM or Saurer 10DM. I hope you could help me. I sent you a private message few days ago so please check it when you are back online.

Thanks

hi !

cool to see the 6dm in the usa !:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1: it's a very good choise ! i'm excited to see more of your project !

i'm from switzerland and i have also a saurer truck ! a 2dm from 1968 and my buddy also has a 6dm for offroad camping

when i finished my project i will ship my truck to the usa to travel around and exploring the nature

i have good connections to a saurer dealer ! he has all the parts on stock for the 6 and 10dms ! He also sold parts from the saurer to the swiss army

his web site are http://www.saurer-berna.ch/

but i think you don't need this ... it will never break a part from a saurer ;-)

now the swiss army sold all the 6 and 10dm and buy new trucks

greetings from switzerland ! and sorry about my englisch its not the best :)

jonas

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Spent the last four days adding more electrical stuff. Originally, the Swiss put in a 24/ 230v battery/solar system, which runs quite a few things. Not wanting to change that out, I added two more systems to compliment the original. We plan to boondock as much as possible, but will find ourselves at RV parks on occasion. With that in mind, I wanted a 110v system to accommodate that, utilizing one power cord to tap into our 200 dollar generator, or plug into shore power. So, installed a 30amp RV cord to attach to the generator or shore power. In the electrical compartment, I connected that line to a Mexican voltage regulator, an ISB Sola Basic 4000. Which provides 30amps of power, in Mexico, this is a requirement. After that, it connects to a small 70amp load center, the generator or shore power would provide the initial main breakers. I ran three 15 amp lines off of that, two to the front of the cabin for two duplex receptacles, and one to a power cord for outside requirements, or to the step up/down transformer which attaches to the original system and converts the 110v into 230v, 50hz to charge the batteries and transfer power. . Sweet. But, that wasn't enough, wanted to have off-grid 110v power, and added a 24v-110v inverter only, connected to the batteries, no charging of the batteries, a separate system. That attaches to its own load center with 15 amp breakers. I installed a couple of outlets by the dinner table for computers, and two more outlets up front for microwave, stereo, toaster, coffee maker, when off grid. Lots of wires, headaches, but it's getting there. I'm 6' 2", and crouching down in the back was not fun!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
More stuff! In order to purchase our Saurer, wife required Carte Blanche to redecorate the interior. So, with that in mind, we added 1/8" white board to the walls and will install plastic sheeting to the ceiling; hiding manufacturer's rivets. Cutting out the walls from 4x8 sheets was tedious, but using a Rockwell oscillating saw, made easy work out of it.

Note the 110v outlet below the 220v outlet. Ours has two USB ports as well. This is powered by the 2000w 24v-110v inverter only.

At some point, we'll put in the new flooring.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
More electrical stuff! 99% finished on installing the wiring to connect the solar panels, the upper running lights, and the rear camera. The previous owners fed the camera and lines for the lights under the cabin to the front, and then up the wall via an aluminum pipe to connect to the wiring on the roof. Plus, a separate hole in the wall for the solar panels. I didn't like that, and instead, drilled two holes in the floor and ran the two cables up to the soon to be hole in the wall. Used a step drill, a wonder of modern 'toology', and made a 22mm hole in the wall. Stuffed in a 3/4 inch rubber grommet and shoved all of the wires through it. Using a large amount of clear silicon to seal out moisture, and, voila, nice and tidy install. To cover my mess, again, trying to repurpose the stuff I took off, was able to cut and trim 5-bar aluminum pieces I originally took off of the vehicle, to hide the wires. Now, the solar panels are charging the batteries, they were at 96% for the last three months of no solar, now they're up to 97%. The wires on the coming through the wall are a tad unsightly, but will box them in with something; yet to be determined. Pics to come, my photobucket sucks right now, grrrrrrr.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
More stuff! New floor is in, a pic of the kitchen table area. And, new white board on front of new section, plus routing in additional plumbing for the shower, washing machine, and little sink near cassette toilet.

Had to remove the electrical panel to get this done. And, the mount for it needs tweaking.

The previous owner's knife storage bar makes for a neat collector of screws, and the various drivers needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles