Wood frame campers...?? How do they hold up?

Mr4btTahoe

Hey guys..

Been pouring over quite a few builds trying to get ideas for an upcoming project. I was almost certain I was going to build a steel frame but I see quite a few built out of all wood and skinned in epoxy or aluminum...

My question is... how do these hold up on the road? I cant wrap my head around how something shaped like a brick taking quite a bit of wind and such.. built solely out of would... could hold up.

I would think going the route of wood would be substantially lighter... but I want to be certain that if I go that route, it'll still be solid 15+ years from now.

Are there any specific tricks to framing with wood?

Thanks for the input.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Alaskan Campers pretty much have written the book on wood camper construction. The one my parents had was probably 3-4th owner. Its roof was starting to sag suspected snow overload from prior owner/s. It was a heavy beast but was a great camper. It was sold off when the old Dodge finally was retired after out living the 318 then the Superbee 440 transplant after 23yrs of abuse.

southpier

Expedition Leader
I think "how" something is constructed is more important than "what" it is constructed. there's probably some poorly built aluminum or steel framed campers roving about.

kpredator

Adventurer
wood

I have a used north star tc-800 wood frame.I paid 3500 for it 7-8 years ago.the previous owner was a little lax on maintenance .sealing the roof mainly.
Replaced the rear wall in the roof and I believe it will be good for several more years.
The key thing on popups wood or aluminum.do the maintenance ,don't over tighten camper to truck tiedown.dont over tighten latches on the roof.
if I ever get a new one it will be stored inside.

I just toured the bundutec popup factory a couple days ago,pretty impressive.nice layouts,used good materials and appliances.
on their website they have a why wood explanation.

good luck
kp

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
"I cant wrap my head around how something shaped like a brick taking quite a bit of wind and such.. built solely out of would... could hold up." Research modern wood/epoxy boatbuilding techniques. Boats are under much greater dynamic loads & environmental stress than a truck camper will ever see. One of the first boats built in 1970 by the West System folks (ADAGIO) is still winning races...built with no mechnical fasteners.

Southpier speaks the truth - "I think "how" something is constructed is more important than "what" it is constructed."(with)

What material are you most comfortable with? 100% of your success will ultimately depend on your ability to either design or follow directions...no matter the material.Moe

http://www.westsystem.com/gbi-history/

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Check out my build thread from a few years ago for our prototype.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/1111870-idashos-idacamper2-0-a.html

Lots of fun info in that thread. Any questions, please ask.

Building this way is pretty easy for the DIY. Just takes planning, time, and energy.

Done right it will be better insulated, and just as light or lighter than a similar aluminum or composite panel build.

expedition-camper-idacamper-overland-011.jpg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Check out my build thread from a few years ago for our prototype.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/1111870-idashos-idacamper2-0-a.html

Lots of fun info in that thread. Any questions, please ask.

Building this way is pretty easy for the DIY. Just takes planning, time, and energy.

Done right it will be better insulated, and just as light or lighter than a similar aluminum or composite panel build.

expedition-camper-idacamper-overland-011.jpg

How thick are your walls, windows, entrydoor ? Do you have cold bridges? Are your windows douple pane? What kind of insulation material you are using? All of this will dictate your R-Value. It doesn't matter if you are using wood or fibreglass.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Everything is XPS

1.5" in the walls/floor/ceiling
1" in the doors
Windows are dual pain insulated units

Cold bridges are there where framing is, but its wood framing. Wood is an excellent insulator.
Nothing like the cold bridge of a metal framed unit, or aluminum extrusions for HC core

Entire camper finished weighs just 2200lbs dry

Mr4btTahoe

I didn't realize you were on here! I love that build and that is were I got my inspiration from.

My goals are very similar and it'll be going on my '90 crewcab f350 srw flatbed. Mine will be similar in size but I want it to be a hard side popup. I want the top ~1.5' to collapse down onto the lower portion to help decrease the wind drag on the road.

I had been debating on all steel frame or all wood frame. I priced out steel (1.5 sq tube 15gauge) and it would be doable... but heavy and semi hard to work with as far as skinning/etc goes.

All wood frame would probably be lighter overall and easier to skin... but to get the strength takes a LOT of work as noted in your build...

Do you have any idea how much your shell weighed (before doing the interior, etc...)?

Just the steel framework (if I go all steel) will be ~500#

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Glad to here Ive inspired your plans :ylsmoke:

Knowing what I know now, I could EASILY have gotten away without any steel frame at all.
However, at the end of the day it is nice to know my camper jack attachment is hell-for-stout.
So I would still encourage some steel int he corners, simply for the sake of jack attachment.

I could have easily gotten away with MUCH less framing as well.

The empty shell came in weighing right around 750# if I remember correctly. That was before windows, doors, and hatches.
So the "finished" shell was is probably in the neighborhood of 1000# or so.

The strength from such a build wasnt too difficult, it just comes down to bonding everything to everything.
You are essentially building a foam core composite panel, which is VERY strong. But the skins must be bonded to the foam core.

Mr4btTahoe

Looks like I've got more research to do...

In your opinion.. as far as material cost goes, what is more cost effective? All steal or building foam core panels? I can work with wood... I can work with steel... Dont have the tools to work with aluminum and don't really want the hassle of fiberglass (although I've done a good bit with it too). It'll come down to cost vs strength. I can get the lumber for next to nothing... so that would be a decent savings over the ~$400 in steel just for the framing... And I'd seen quite a few builds using nothing but what looks like 2x2s and foam board insulation sandwiched in plywood. I guess its just in my mind... pulling something down the highway at 70+mph made of nothing but foam, glue, and toothpicks doesn't seem possible... however I know it works and works well (otherwise people wouldn't keep doing it.. lol).

I know the composite panels get all or most of their strength from the skins... and I know you can build beams out of 3/8 plywood that will carry thousands of pounds over large spans... so I suppose it makes sense that it would be strong enough.

I'll have to price things out both ways... weight and cost to see what will work the best.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Mr4btTahoe

Spent a few hours on tnttt.... guys actually build completely out of foam??

I guess if that holds together running down the highway... just about any of the ideas I'd been considering should work just fine. Lol

southpier

Expedition Leader
Spent a few hours on tnttt.... guys actually build completely out of foam??

I guess if that holds together running down the highway... just about any of the ideas I'd been considering should work just fine. Lol

yeah, but... some people on that forum smear roofing cement on a hollow core door stuck onto a harbor freight 5' trailer kit and call it a camper, too.

proceed with caution!

Mr4btTahoe

yeah, but... some people on that forum smear roofing cement on a hollow core door stuck onto a harbor freight 5' trailer kit and call it a camper, too.

proceed with caution!

Absolutely!

It just makes me feel a bit better about wood and foam construction knowing that pieces of foam hold together going down the road. Lol

Skookumchuck

Observer
I built a camper out of SIP panels no framing at all except on the corners​ and door frame. Works great lighter and stronger than a wood frame and aluminum. R 20 walls, R32 floor and Roof

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles