2012 JKU Air Intake Temps and options

Chili

Explorer
With your concern of "air temperature" being most important, consider how the intake piping runs in the Rugged Ridge. You may want to wrap it with heat reflective material.

Good point! I was looking at the routing and would definitely want to incorporate heat shield of some sort. I also wondered how much heat the sun will add in on the externally routed kits that are all black. Surely less than running close to exhaust, at least.

erm.. check the post again.. Not my topic.. just remembered being shown at the forums.. Beside we're not willing to dismantle the jeep to that extreme.

Chili

Explorer
erm.. check the post again.. Not my topic.. just remembered being shown at the forums.. Beside we're not willing to dismantle the jeep to that extreme.

Ah, haha, I didn't even look at who posted it. Thanks for the link anyways..

Yesterday when I got home the IAT was at 160, which is a daily occurrence now, so I decided to leave it running and pop the hood, to see what kind of difference it may make. It really didn't help at all and as I started feeling the air around the filter box I could see that as much heat is thrown right at it, especially when the fan is running, I'm not sure that drawing the air from a cooler spot is even going to really help. I'm thinking a heat extractor hood may be a better bet. If I can keep temps under the hood down, maybe the airbox won't be so heat soaked.

Hmmm.. Still undecided on what I will do, if anything. Maybe just get some gears so that the power loss isn't as noticeable in the high heat. It really only becomes an issue when trying to pass / accelerate at highway speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles