2012 JKU Air Intake Temps and options

Chili

Explorer
Hey guys , I searched this topic but didn't see much info. I bought a 2012 JKU last year and have been loving it. As the temps have warmed up I have really started noticing the IAT`s (I run a Traildash 2) and how high they run. On average the last few days on my commute home I have noticed terms range from about 40* above ambient while driving and up to 60* above in stop and go. Yesterday that meant ~160*. I'm sure that is leaving power on the table.

My coolant temp stays between 205 - 215. I guess that's somewhat normal?

So what I am wondering is, what can I do to significantly impact these temps, if anything? I do have a winch which does sit a little high (and I keep the cover on it), so it could be impacting air flow. I would prefer keeping that. I am running the stock air box with factory filter, replaced a few months ago with no dusty driving since.

So what temps are you guys seeing? Do any of you have real world examples of ways you have reduced temps? I am especially interested in examples of how snorkels may have impacted (hopefully reduced) these temps. How about hoods?

I look forward to your input. Thanks in advance!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Maybe a snorkel

yeah, the underhood temps of the JK with the 3.6L are crazy hot. I've got the Hard Rock style hood, and opened up the vents. It's still very hot. Cats sit right at the heads.
AEV has a nice vented hood, that will help.

I "think" biggest bang for the buck would be a Snorkel(no first hand experience with this). It would help keep dust and water out of the filter, and as a side bonus look pretty darned cool. :)

Chili

Explorer
yeah, the underhood temps of the JK with the 3.6L are crazy hot. I've got the Hard Rock style hood, and opened up the vents. It's still very hot. Cats sit right at the heads.
AEV has a nice vented hood, that will help.

I "think" biggest bang for the buck would be a Snorkel(no first hand experience with this). It would help keep dust and water out of the filter, and as a side bonus look pretty darned cool. :)

I'm thinking the same but was hoping to justify it with some results. :p

I mean, if it's a 10* improvement I probably wouldn't do it. I don't really drive in the dust much, and the deepest water crossing I have had to do is about 1 foot. lol

Chili

Explorer
Did you look over on Jeepforums ? to see what tricks they might have used?

I googled and read stuff on a number of jeep forums though I don't remember all which I linked to. I'm sure I'll keep looking for info as well, but figured I'd try tapping into existing resources too. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll search there specifically!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My 3.8 was running insanely high under hood temps here in West Africa, so I put Daystar hood vents in and added a Mopar mechanical fan on the front of the water pump.

I don't know if you can do the Mopar mechanical fan on the 3.6.
Is the waterpump threaded? that might give a hint.

I also run an AEV snorkel.

I am much, much happier with the underhood temps now, I never ever see it heat soak.

-Dan

Wife isn't thrilled about wanting to add a snorkel nor add any holes in the current hood, though she did admit to the Power dome hood as this could be an options later. But I am concerned about under hood temps after adding the tuffy hood lock, which has made the front portion of the hood drawn very tightly closed. I'm wondering if there is away to adjust the hood hinges as to allow for a cowl type opening..

Chili

Explorer
Wife isn't thrilled about wanting to add a snorkel nor add any holes in the current hood, though she did admit to the Power dome hood as this could be an options later. But I am concerned about under hood temps after adding the tuffy hood lock, which has made the front portion of the hood drawn very tightly closed. I'm wondering if there is away to adjust the hood hinges as to allow for a cowl type opening..

Oh, I have one of those too (hood lock). I also have that mesh screen behind the grill. Plus the bull bar, winch fairlead and driving lights probably don't help with air flowing into the grill either.. :eek:

Chili

Explorer
Bump for visibility..

Anyone that has a snorkel and traildash 2 (or other data logging / monitoring capability) that has real world experience, info would be appreciated!

crusaderJK

Adventurer
I have the 3.8 engine with a snorkel. The intake temp is about 4-5deg higher than ambient temp when cruising down the autobahn. Never checked temp when in traffic and have no comparisson to what the temp would be without the snorkel.

Chili

Explorer
I have the 3.8 engine with a snorkel. The intake temp is about 4-5deg higher than ambient temp when cruising down the autobahn. Never checked temp when in traffic and have no comparison to what the temp would be without the snorkel.

Wow, that's really good. And still helpful, thank you!

I think that was the biggest surprise to me, that even at 65mph I'm still running 30*-40*(f) above ambient. Yesterday driving home ambient was 100* (~38*C) and even at highway speed I was seeing Intake temps around 150* (~65*C) and even with having the 3.6 it was pretty gutless when trying to accelerate or pass. Didn't have that issue in the winter / spring temps at all.

Coolant temps stay between 205 - 220 (Cruising vs in Traffic), and even that is higher than I like but is apparently common and just fine.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
With your concern of "air temperature" being most important, consider how the intake piping runs in the Rugged Ridge. You may want to wrap it with heat reflective material.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
My 3.8 also runs hot but thats because the factory fan settings comes on at high temps. With my Superchip tuner ive lowered the settings about 10*F.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles