Cargo carrier for gas/water cans

3550taco

Interior space is a premium for a Tacoma camping configuration. I have had the attached cargo carrier fabricated to carry a 5 gal gas can, 5 gal water can, and 2 lb propane tank. It swings out to accommodate attaching to my coleman stove. It is removable when I don't need it. The carrier is made with the ability to secure the cans when traveling with straps, and a cable lock when security is needed. It is designed not to interfere with the backup camera or mounting a bike rack. Very pleased with this solution.
The carrier is outfitted with a rear break/turn signal light. The carrier was fabricated by Baja Fabrications. 619-710-2800. Ask for Sam Stahl. Tell him Jack referred him. Quality people and workmanship.

Attachments

• 01 rear view.jpg
    01 rear view.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 55
  • 02 side view.jpg
    02 side view.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 03 Open view.jpg
    03 Open view.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 48

3550taco

The cans fit snugly and there is a rubber gasket around the opening to make a good fit. For travel I secure them with a strap. The box has half circle opening around the top edge. You can secure each can separately front to back with a short strap. I secure all three strapping across and through the handles of the cans.

rayra

Expedition Leader
pictures of the mount bracket / pivot, please. That's a lot of weight in a 'tray' arrangement which presumably is all cantilevered out from a mount under one corner. Even more so, in an off-road environment. Really curious how beefy it is, how they gusseted things to withstand that torque.

3550taco

The bumper is from Fab Four. Very sturdy and good quality.
The bracket is mounted directly to the bumper. The tray attaches to the bracket by a large bolt. See pictures. I have a rubber protector over the bolt when the tray is not attached. Just the rubber end of a cane. The bracket itself is also removable by unscrewing the bolts shown. So I can just take off the tray when not in immediate need, or take off the bracket mechanism when I'm not going out in a while. The bracket does not protrude past the side line of the truck. It sticks out about 6 inches toward the rear. We looked at a cantilevered solution but discarded it for reason you suggest regarding stability. For technical questions it would be best to call Sam Stahl of Baja Fabrications 619.710.2800

Attachments

• mecahnism side.JPG
    mecahnism side.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 252
  • mechanismback.JPG
    mechanismback.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 253

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles