Minivan turned Campervan

Aquathlete13

Observer
First post! I realize this may not be the most appropriate forum for posting this; however, I've been a long time lurker and wannabe and wanted to share the modifications we have begun while we decide on the best vehicle for us. Side note; you'd be amazed the roads you can take a minivan on. I'm stuck with the van until my kids are out of carseats; which luckily, should only be a few more years. Most overland campers, in my price range, do not account for safety of passengers riding in carseats. So, we are making do for the time being. I have slept in the back of my van many nights and the hurdle we had to jump was figuring a sleeping arrangement that allowed for the car seats to remain in place, as it's a giant pain to remove them every night. My husband came up with this design, and it works great for my two small kids and I. Two large drawer compartments under the sleeping platform allow for storage, and we will also be adding on a swing out platform for our stove.

Here are my questions. Thoughts on ventilation? Thoughts on adding an additional battery housed under the the sleeping platform for running lights/fan/perhaps a Dometic type cooler at night while parked.

Thanks!
IMG_20170613_090148_450.jpgIMG_20170613_090148_451 (1).jpg

p nut

butter
Regarding ventilation, why don't you just leave the windows open? People have made mosquito net screens for windows that are mounted with magnet strips.

Aquathlete13

Observer
Regarding ventilation, why don't you just leave the windows open? People have made mosquito net screens for windows that are mounted with magnet strips.

That's what I'm learning toward, and was looking for recommendations. Skeeter beater screens?

Thanks!

Aquathlete13

Observer
Now with Memory Foam!

We added a 2 inch memory foam mattress to the set up; as well as an additional battery with volt display and outlet station. It's slowly coming together. The drawers under the platform are designated kitchen drawers; with our stove and propane, and a tote in the other with my camp pots/pan set (bought super cheap at a closing Gander Mountain). Luckily; I can sew. So my next project is some sort of cover for the foam; covers for the extra foam we will use as cushions wherever we need, and mosquito netting for the windows.

Anyone else having issues uploading photos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles