When and how to use the off road capabilities of the Montero

F15DOC

I have several threads going currently, really starting to get interested in updating and putting our family Montero to use off road.
I looked through multiple links to learn about the capabilities, but not getting good intel.
I realize some of this is basic off road information, but can someone explain the Montero 2.5 with rear locker capabilities.
What do the different gearing and differential actually do, when is the best time to use those capabilities.
Have patience with a novice off roader, out Montero has been a family/winter hauler and its off road use has been minimal and really only used the 4Hi and 4Lo capabilities on rare off road conditions.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Basics: locker forces rear wheels to turn at the exact same speed regardless of outside influences ("locks" them together). Without it, in a low traction situation, power from the engine takes the path of least resistance causing one wheel to spin and the other to not move.

Different gearing is simply more engine rotation, less wheel rotation (and vice versa). Lower gearing makes your engine spin faster and the wheels spin slower, increasing power to the wheels.

2WD: rear wheels powered, open center and rear diff.

Street driving (and honestly, most light offroad usage). Any speed.

4hi: technically all wheel drive. All four wheels powered, open center and rear diff.

Moderate traction (trails, dirt). Can be used full time. Any speed.

4hiLLC: true 4wd. All four wheels powered, center diff locked, rear diff open.

Low traction. Unimproved trails, shallow sand, light mud. Moderate speed.

4loLLC: Low range 4wd. All four wheels powered, center diff locked, rear diff open.

Low traction (as above), hills to climb or you want to keep vehicle speed low w/o brakes. Low speed.

4loLLC w/ diff lock: Low range 4wd. All four wheels powered, center and rear diffs locked.

Extremely low traction (deep mud/sand, loose rock). Low speeds.

Anyone want to add/correct anything?

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Put it into anticipated mode before hitting the obstacle (better to have and not need than need and not have). Don't wait until you're stuck to lock your diff etc. Once you get more comfortable with the capabilities you'll figure out when/if you need certain things. As long as you don't do anything silly (driving on asphalt with a locked diff) you'll be ok and won't hurt anything. Don't worry about going beyond what others might deem necessary (4hiLLC when you could do it in 4hi/2WD), it'll come with time/confidence/knowledge.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Eye has it right, but that is specific to the Super Select 4WD found on Gen 2 and Gen 3 Limited. It shows 2H-4H-4Hlc-4Llc for those modes.
Further note on the Super Select II modes. The 2H-4H shift can be safely made at any speed under 45mph because it uses a viscous coupling. Shifting to 4Hlc requires the vehicle to stop, and going to 4Llc needs the transmission placed in Neutral.

If it is a Gen 3 XLS, Gen 1, or Montero Sport, the transfer shifter shows 2H-4H-4L. (will have an actual lever with shifter boot)
For these, the 4H is not AWD (all wheel drive). The center is locked in 4H and 4L. You can shift from 2H-4H while moving under 45mph.

Someone can correct this for the Gen 2 if I am incorrect.

Last edited:

RyanY

Adventurer
Also note that 4Hi can be used on dry pavement because of the center differential, similar to an AWD vehicle. 4HiLLC locks the front and rear axles together and should be used only on loose surfaces otherwise the drivetrain can bind up and bad mechanical things might happen.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Any time I can, off road, I like to be in low range. I'll sacrifice the higher RPM's that come with the increased speed (in sections where I can go faster) for the increased engine braking I get when I let off the gas, plus it's going to keep coolant circulating at a higher rate and take the load/temperature away from the transmission. I have seen others wait to shift into low until their transmission temperature warning light comes on (bad) and I have personally experienced waiting too long to activate the rear locker, which puts too much emphasis on traction of the least-grabbing tire (excess tire wear from spinning on rocks). Now, I'll say this about using the rear locker: you pretty much want to be going in a straight line when you're using it on high traction surfaces (again, like on rocks), so you want to plan ahead. Stop and survey your plan of attack for an obstacle or intended path. Use the locker before you get to the tough part and let it propel you through things, but disengage it when you are through or it might push you in a line you have a hard time steering out of. It takes some experience with getting a feel for how that thing works.
I like AWD, or the open center diff, four wheel drive mode, just for driving on dirt roads. It gives you a little pulling power in turns when traction is a little sketchy. I don't drive on slick or snowy roads in Phoenix, but I suppose it would be useful there.
In 4 hi-locked, dirt roads are able to be covered quickly. I think that's what the Gen 1/2/2.5 was made for. RyanY and I have hauled some serious *****, and I mean serious, on trails that would upset lesser vehicles. The center diff is locked, so engine braking is applied to both axles. The transmission is your friend in this case, and downshifting can be as effective as braking. Don't be afraid to rev the engine out - they like it. The Dakar-inspired heritage built into a Montero really shines here. We need to make more video to illustrate, but you can be an off-road hero that will embarrass other makes. I was able to burn through an entire tank of gas in my 95 SR in one day having this kind of fun, yet Ryan's truck just pulled away from me and left me chasing. I'd like to have his suspension improvements and with the Adventure Driven Designs introductions, it should make my truck his equal, eventually.
I own a Gen 1 also(and have owned a few before). You get almost everything except AWD, so no big loss in AZ low country, and the same principles apply. 4-Hi is a blast, use 4-lo when going slow.

John B.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I'll vouch on the snowy roads - throw it into 4Hi and drive it like a rally car (remember the high center of gravity). I haven't really torn it up, but it's lots of fun to four wheel drift around corners like an evo :smiley_drive:

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Eye has it right, but that is specific to the Super Select 4WD found on Gen 2 and Gen 3 Limited. It shows 2H-4H-4Hlc-4Llc for those modes.
Further note on the Super Select II modes. The 2H-4H shift can be safely made at any speed under 45mph because it uses a viscous coupling. Shifting to 4Hlc requires the vehicle to stop, and going to 4Llc needs the transmission placed in Neutral.

If it is a Gen 3 XLS, Gen 1, or Montero Sport, the transfer shifter shows 2H-4H-4L. (will have an actual lever with shifter boot)
For these, the 4H is not AWD (all wheel drive). The center is locked in 4H and 4L. You can shift from 2H-4H while moving under 45mph.

Someone can correct this for the Gen 2 if I am incorrect.
I was under the impression that I can shift from 2WD to 4hi at up to 65mph. On my old gen2 SR I did it at 55mph a couple times on wet roads and she seemed fine.

F15DOC

We live in snow country and I can certainly vouch for the Monties prowess in the snow. It has been a family ski rig for years and few can touch it with good rubber on. We usually just leave it in 4HI on the snow, very very rare to have ever put it in 4Lo, and I have never engaged the rear locker. Just curious how it would be used, all this advice is great.
Interesting, I stopped by a local 4X4 shop today and asked if I purchased that Adventure Driven Designs setup if they would install it. He won't touch it, says he only installs his own products, I guess he has enough business he can pass on an easy job.
Looks like I will be doing that install myself....with all my free time... jeez

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I was under the impression that I can shift from 2WD to 4hi at up to 65mph. On my old gen2 SR I did it at 55mph a couple times on wet roads and she seemed fine.

I use 45mph for anyone who is new or unsure of making the 2H-4H shift at speed.

You are right that it is listed by Mitsubishi as up to 100kmh (~62mph), but this speed is determined by the transmission and transfer case rotational speed with factory sized tires at 62mph. As the tire sizes increase, the actual speed (corrected speedometer for wheel size or GPS) at which this shift is performed must be lower since there is a greater load on the system with the larger tires than originally designed. It can still be done at higher speed, but 45mph is definitely a safe number even if someone is running 35-37" tires.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
I use 45mph for anyone who is new or unsure of making the 2H-4H shift at speed.

You are right that it is listed by Mitsubishi as up to 100kmh (~62mph), but this speed is determined by the transmission and transfer case rotational speed with factory sized tires at 62mph. As the tire sizes increase, the actual speed (corrected speedometer for wheel size or GPS) at which this shift is performed must be lower since there is a greater load on the system with the larger tires than originally designed. It can still be done at higher speed, but 45mph is definitely a safe number even if someone is running 35-37" tires.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. Another nice thing about Mitsubishi's 4hi is that there technically isn't a max speed for it. So you won't murder the system driving on the freeway at 75mph (as long as nothing else is dying/failing).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke