Camper Questions -- Materials/Methods Needed

gsanders

Observer
Hi all:

Two quick questions regarding pop-up materials and methods. The camper is a 2005 Phoenix.

Ceiling Repair

I had a couple small leaks that damaged the ceiling material, which is a 3/16 or 1/4 masonite type product (or at least it seems that way). The ceiling is sandwiched into the roof and the sidewalls. The roof has been repaired with no leaks and the roof structure seems good. However the ceiling material is warped and discolored. My plan is to cut the material along the edges and then replace with something, masonite again or perhaps something better. The ceiling is made of 3 panels that are ~4' x 7'. Does anyone have any suggestions for better materials? Sheet aluminum or steel seems rather industrial and prone to condensation. Coosa comes in 0.25" thickness but my guess is it will be expensive. Are there any suitable plastic or composite materials that come in white and are durable? Any thoughts on this, I am totally open to suggestions.

Mechanical Jack Re-finishing

Our jacks are showing their age, they are Rieco-Titan mechanicals and the paint is chipping with some rust. I was planning to powder coat but that requires baking which could affect the grease in the gear heads. I have contacted Rieco-Titan for recommendations but I was hoping to get input from here as well. Maybe use bed liner on them? Any other suggestions?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Curious as to what you do with the roof. Mine is luan plywood with a skin of vinyl. Not a good thing to get wet. Home Depot sells a thin white plastic (fiberglass?) panel usually used in bathroom walls. It might work. Not sure how it would be effectively glued to the styrofoam. Do you have any pictures of the ceiling? Mine had some deterioration at the seams so I glued the vinyl back on to the plywood and then used a piece of Home Depot plastic trim on one side of the existing joint to hold the vinyl up better. I put it in place with a brad nailer, angling the brads in opposite directions.

I'd use epoxy paint on the jacks.

Last edited:

gsanders

Observer
Curious as to what you do with the roof. Mine is luan plywood with a skin of vinyl. Not a good thing to get wet. Home Depot sells a thin white plastic (fiberglass?) panel usually used in bathroom walls. It might work. Not sure how it would be effectively glued to the styrofoam. Do you have any pictures of the ceiling? Mine had some deterioration at the seams so I glued the vinyl back on to the plywood and then used a piece of Home Depot plastic trim on one side of the existing joint to hold the vinyl up better. I put it in place with a brad nailer, angling the brads in opposite directions.

I'd use epoxy paint on the jacks.

Thanks Kerry. Right now I am looking at exactly the product you mentioned from HD. I don't have pictures of the roof but it looks like a faced luan or masonite-type particle board. Sagging in some places, the facing material hasn't delaminated on me. The ceiling looks like 3 panels, each ~4x8'. My plan is to support the roof with jacks or blacks and then take apart the roof mechanism and remove all of the ceiling fixtures and then take down the old panels and replace. I will probably do the project later this fall/winter and I will follow-up with photos.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Thanks Kerry. Right now I am looking at exactly the product you mentioned from HD. I don't have pictures of the roof but it looks like a faced luan or masonite-type particle board. Sagging in some places, the facing material hasn't delaminated on me. The ceiling looks like 3 panels, each ~4x8'. My plan is to support the roof with jacks or blacks and then take apart the roof mechanism and remove all of the ceiling fixtures and then take down the old panels and replace. I will probably do the project later this fall/winter and I will follow-up with photos.

It's possible the sagging could be fixed by using the plastic lattice type plastic material I used on mine and an air brad nailer to hold it up. Mine had separated at the front joint just above the bed and had sagged there in addition to the vinyl delaminating. It's about 2" wide and 1/4" thick (slightly smaller in both dimensions)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier