Universal crankshaft pulley holder - has anyone tried one of these?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
On eBay there are some universal crankshaft pulley holder tools for ~$75.

Has anyone tried one?

Need one for my Gen 3 3.8.

D

Deleted member 144409

I got that one for that purpose. Not it's own fault but the last yahoo who replaced the bolt (if it ever was) had it torqued down so I had to bump start (I started another horrifying thread on that after researching a number of frightening threads). That said, it worked fine for the camshaft and I'll likely be using it again soon. It's fairly stout, I'd say. Someone had posted it on the MMUSA site. Longer story longer, if someone has a crafty method to get that thing to levitate where you put it so you and pick up the socket you dropped so you don't have to get the holder back in it's magical place, you will be visited by the Bacon Fairy and her friend the Lamar's Donut God.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Just go get big piece of 1/8th flat stock. Drill 3 holes at one end, two for long bolts and one in the middle to fit an extension through to grab the pulley bolt. Easy peasy and super strong.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I used one from Amazon and it worked well and was ~$25. If I had to do more than one I'd probably replace the pins with something that was a bit tighter fit with the pulley but it worked fine either way.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Hm Ok thanks. So how did the Gearwrench tool hold the pulley still? Does it have pins that slip into the pulley? Threaded bolts?

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Little pins, and they're actually replaceable so you could get different sizes if you wanted. I just used the originals, they weren't a perfect fit, but oh well...

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Little pins, and they're actually replaceable so you could get different sizes if you wanted. I just used the originals, they weren't a perfect fit, but oh well...

Thanks! Hopefully last question - I have looked at some others - do you think this one was stout enough?

I'm going to have to hold this crank pulley while I put something like 150lb/ft of torque through the crank bolt....

coffeegoat

Adventurer
So, I think the wrench was certainly stout enough, the pins being too small to fit snugly was a bit of a hassle, but certainly do-able. If you look in my build thread (in my sig) you'll see I wedged the wrench into the fender/frame rail, and then used a 4 foot breaker bar to remove it, and a large torque wrench to re-affix it - with pictures. It's a question of "good enough" vs "great," I needed to do the chore once and didn't think more effort/cost was worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94