Opinion on which rig to pursue

JoeLFNT80

So I have a 95 fzj80 factory locked with 35s and Ome 2.5 inch lift. Just recently I got myself a 2017 jku sport big bear edition. I do occasional crawling but nothing really rough but mostly overlanding. Land cruiser is sort of fit but it's also about 22 years old. What would you guys do! I'm keeping both rigs. Just thinking if I should invest on maintaining my lc or just start building the jku. Would do you guys think. The big bear edition comes with factory sliders and bfg at ko2s. It's definitely 2 different rigs but I love both .

lightstrum

I just talked a friend of mine into getting a the big bear limited, only add on is the limited slip, that is all it really needs from the factory to be set up as an overlander. Wise purchase. I myself have a much older rig that I love, but if I was buying new today and wanted out the door, ready to go value in a 4x4 it would be this one, and it really looks great. The really great thing about the JKU BB is the upgraded soft top, nothing like a convertible- how many times out in nature I wished I had that 360deg view of it. You could get a good deal of cash out of that Toyo. You could go light weight ground tent and gear for short trips and get a fully rigged, but compact, rugged trailer for excursions and have a base camp, rover set up, which is a great way to have a lot of gear and flexibility. I am going to talk my friend in to doing exactly that, as they say- what is the best boat? A friends boat.

Last edited:

JoeLFNT80

Yea I'm loving it. I owned a fjc modified heavily, sold it and got an 80 series and fell in love minus the age! Solid rig though. I love my 80 series but definitely wanted to get something newer and the 4runner or tacoma financing was out of the question. So I got a good deal on my jku. I'm from Los Angeles and me and the wife love trips and going off route (overlanding). I've spent $$$ on some maintenance on the fzj80 and I was tired of something wrong happening. But definitely love both rigs but I'm aiming towards building the jeep. Old trucks are great which is why I won't sell the 80.

lightstrum

Once you get that jeep smoking the 80 will sit in the driveway. L.A. is such a great place to short excursion from, so many varieties of nature nearby. And a better PCH vehicle than the JKU with the top down does not exist.

JoeLFNT80

7dc444a96fae8302fb15b1822453c226.jpg
ea88d0116e1c7a3affc4bb537b2aa0d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jswift716

Adventurer
If the 80 is in good running condition finish that build and daily the jeep until it's done. Then kit up the jeep and you'll have 2 to choose from and both will be ready to go where ever when ever

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jswift716

Adventurer
If the 80 is in good running condition finish that build and daily the jeep until it's done. Then kit up the jeep and you'll have 2 to choose from and both will be ready to go where ever when ever

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
And I'm a jeep guy at heart but a good build is still a good build

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sell the Jeep, get a convertible sports car, grab your girl and go play.
Finish building the 80. You've already got one heck of a rig there. Will make an awesome Go Anywhere - Do Anything vehicle! :beer:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I own both a Toyota and Jeep too; it allows you to travel in many different social circles.

JoeLFNT80

Well I will keep the 80 series just cause it means a lot to me. But I ended up adding things to the jku. I drove it stock for a while and still is pretty stock but i picked up an evo mfg level kit with the front longer coils and rubicon shocks and rear coils from a good friend that let me have them for free. Then I ended up getting a ARB Dual compressor and digital gauge. And so far I love this vehicle. The next thing.... my wife wants to order an spod for our anniversary gift to me. Just trying to find a good deal on the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c7db6ad11e5866b6bd6cbe608f7c1da0.jpg
535624cce0771184e530ed57d5f93228.jpg
e7f69dea3f4df3023a893076b8ca9f49.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94