300TDI Block Heater

Has anyone installed a Block Heater on a 300tdi disco? I might be moving back to the great rocky mountains sooner than anticipated, but not immediately. I'd like to start getting green rover ready for the great mountains to fight the frost giants. Like the title says I'd like/need to install a block heater onto/into my engine. I've installed them on 350's before, but never a diesel and always out of the engine bay. Is this possible to do while leaving the engine inside the vehicle on a 300? Any other major recommendations for winterizing it?

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
If you've got the dosh, a diesel fueled coolant heater would be the optimum way to go. I am interested to use one from Espar, but the Websato should be just as good a choice. Although pricey, the huge advantage is that an extension cord is not needed, so it's possible to pre-heat anywhere.

That being said, the plug-in one for the 300TDI is very similar to any other that goes in place of one of the freeze plugs. I bought one for the 2.8TGV installed in mine from a Motor & Diesel kit, but very unfortunately they are different freeze-plugs (IIRC). Prolly still have it in its box somewhere...

It certainly does not seem that one needs to pull the engine to install one and I've not heard of anyone going to such lengths.

Also, IIRC, you can order it from places like Atlantic British.

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks! I'll probably be sticking with the block heater for now. Not sure I'm ready to commit to the full coolant heater; I'm also not 100% positive I like the idea of using the battery. I'll play around a little bit and see if I can reach around and be able to pound the plug with most the bits there.

Thanks!

ishapiro

Has anyone installed a Block Heater on a 300tdi disco? I might be moving back to the great rocky mountains sooner than anticipated, but not immediately. I'd like to start getting green rover ready for the great mountains to fight the frost giants. Like the title says I'd like/need to install a block heater onto/into my engine. I've installed them on 350's before, but never a diesel and always out of the engine bay. Is this possible to do while leaving the engine inside the vehicle on a 300? Any other major recommendations for winterizing it?
I used to have a 300tdi disco 1. But unfortunately lost it due to an accident(writeoff). I looked at adding a block heater and remember its not a big deal. Also the core plug size fits one of a very common NA blocks so readily available. Dont remember more details though. I was using a magnetic oil pan heater from PrincessAuto and that worked well.

On a slightly different topic, i have tons of parts and maintenance items i purchased hoping to keep the vehicle for ever. Now its collecting dust in my garage. PM me if you are interested.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

chand-o

I have fitted an Webasto Thermotop C to my 300tdi with a 24/7 digital timer as i used to work shifts in the winter. I would program it to come on 30 minutes before I got back. I went with the coolant for two reasons 1) the journey home was about 7 miles so it made it more efficient and less slugish, 2) by having it linked to the fan it would heat the cab and de-ice the windows.

In modern cars they actually come on automatically in cold weather while the engine is running in order to get up to temp quicker. I use mine in this was when its quite cold. It uses tiny amounts of diesel. It is fitted the the bracket the used to hold the washer fluid tank, which is now lower down on the chassis rail after finding one with a long filler neck at a scrap yard. It doesn't use that much current even with the cab heater fan on a low setting.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
The Kenlowe pre heater is easy to fit - but requires mains feed. Just plumbs into the heater pipes

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Ok thanks! I'll probably be sticking with the block heater for now. Not sure I'm ready to commit to the full coolant heater; I'm also not 100% positive I like the idea of using the battery. I'll play around a little bit and see if I can reach around and be able to pound the plug with most the bits there.

Thanks!

You're very welcome :)

The battery draw to run the coolant heater is minimal. There will be data for each type.

It uses the diesel fuel to heat the coolant.

If you'll be able to always use main electricity, that is the less costly solution for installation.

Good luck !

Ok so sounds like I've got some looking to do. Are there any foreseeable problems having a heater attached in extremely hot environments? I'm assuming not since it's all automated. I'll do some digging!

I used to have a 300tdi disco 1. But unfortunately lost it due to an accident(writeoff). I looked at adding a block heater and remember its not a big deal. Also the core plug size fits one of a very common NA blocks so readily available. Dont remember more details though. I was using a magnetic oil pan heater from PrincessAuto and that worked well.

On a slightly different topic, i have tons of parts and maintenance items i purchased hoping to keep the vehicle for ever. Now its collecting dust in my garage. PM me if you are interested.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I'll send you a PM!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior