Looking for Information on Dry Camping in Challis National Forest

Nickfj40

I'm looking for an area in the Challis National Forest for dry camping this August. I see a few campground areas but was looking for a more secluded area to let the dogs run free. We went to Flat Top Mountain, WY last year and it was beautiful. I will be using my Ford 4x4 with a Lance camper so unfortunately, I wont be able to hit the trails that keep most people away. Any information will be of great help.

Thank you
Nick

Foy

Explorer
Morgan Creek-Panther Creek, etc

A friend who lives in Challis recommends the Morgan Creek and Panther Creek basins, linked by a pass at the north end of south-flowing Morgan Creek. Morgan Creek Road ends at US 93 a short distance north of Challis. I believe the road is altogether + 50 miles from US 93 to the mouth of Panther Creek at the North Fork of the Snake River. At the Snake, you can proceed upstream for around 20 miles through Shoup back to US 93. There is at least one route over the range separating Panther Creek from US 93, along Williams Creek IIRC.

I'd snag an Idaho Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas and start looking around. There are a lot of short to long spur roads off of the main road.

I'd also be keeping up with the local wildfire situation via the Inci-Web site, as the Forest Service can close large sections of NF during an event or when fire danger is extreme.

Foy

Last edited:

Nickfj40

Dry Camping in Challis National Forest

Foy, thank you very much. Its a little tougher to move around with a truck and camper compared to when I'm scouting with my 80 series. The Idaho atlas that I ordered just came in and I have a couple detailed topos on the way. Great suggestion on checking the fire dangers in the area. I will definitely post up a trip report when we get back.

Thanks again
Nick

Foy

Explorer
Correction--

That is of course the North Fork of the Salmon River where Panther Creek ends its north-flowing course--around 20 miles west/downstream of North Fork, ID along US 93.

If I'm not mistaken, you can cross the river near Shoup and gain access to the border of ID and MT. Horse Creek Hot Springs is way up there and you can cross over into MT and come out around Conner or Darby.

Foy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles