Window covering ideas? Insulation & blackout

Haraald

Observer
I know WeatherTech sells those thin windshield covers, but they don't insulate well and don't blackout around the edges.

I'm thinking of cutting out slightly oversized 2" hobby (open cell) foam and 'squishing' it into the windshield and side windows when I want to sleep in my vehicle, and hopefully it will expand back out to blackout around the edges. Anyone have any tips or experience with something like that? It's going to be a lot of foam, so I guess I'll have to store it up against the rear ceiling while driving?

southpier

Expedition Leader
I think you've hit on one of the drawbacks (storage) of a custom, high R factor device. you might be better served by a curtain (think "quilted mover's blanket" style) hung between the sun visor hinge points or thereabouts in addition to the normal windshield cover.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That 2" foam idea is a nonstarter. Would take a huge amount of room when not it use. So's the idea of thinking you are getting enough insulation from it to be worth the bulk.

Most RVs utilize blackout curtains, either velcro- or snap-attached.

I'm also considering using wood floor underlayment foam. It can be cut just a bit oversized so it holds itself in place up against the glass, held in place by the interior trim plastic. There are a few brands that are metallized. Some brands come in semi-rigid sheets, but most are a roll product.

s-l225.jpg

Sheet cardboard would work just as well, but not hold up as well. And you'd wind up looking like some indigent living in their car.

There are also a few folks here that have used Reflectix, an attic insulation / radiant barrier product. Looks good. Costs a bit more. I'm thinking about that as well and will likely put it in my Suburban in between the roof skin and the headliner(s).

32978ae2-d904-4195-a669-88658fc93f62_400_compressed.jpg

downhill

Adventurer
be sure to test the actual light blocking ability of whatever material you choose. If the idea is to keep others from detecting your light, you will find that many materials still pass a small amount of light. You can buy curtain insulation from fabric stores. It's not a huge R factor, but it is easy to work with and roll up. I have coupled it with cordura to make curtains that block light. I have secured them with snaps and velcro in a camper. Mounting them to block a windshield is harder.

almac

reflectix is a good product, but if you want better R value, I recommend hard foam with a reflective backing on it, like this.
polyisocyanurate-foil-faced-insulation.gif
you could attach black fabric on the opposite side of the reflective material and face the black toward your windows for the stealth look. if your concerned about storage, why not just slip the pieces under your mattress when not in use!
I bet an inch or so of this stuff would make a huge difference. in summer, you could even put the reflective side against the window to reflect away the heat. :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here's the floor underlayment I was referring to earlier. I took some pictures of it Friday and forgot all about it. It's about 1/8" thick, the panels are 1'x4', sold in a 100sq' pack at .40/sq'
The pergo brand seemed very similar, at $55/100sq'.

Appears to be mylar lined on at least one side and I'm not sure if it's a fan-fold arrangement in the packaging of if it's (25) pieces in 1'x4'. In which case it wouldn't quite work as a window insert. Unless you were to arrange the pieces vertically like a fence. You could even tape them together so they DO fan-fold, making for more compact stowage. Or leave them tight and flat so they pack flat. Would take hardly any room at all, that way. You could even put in a ceiling stowage net and just slip them all up there out of the way and safely tucked away from incidental damage.

odalay11_zps7qlh7g8s.jpg
underlayment2_zpsemx2buyl.jpg
underlayment3_zps5kvtcwai.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
I have 1/4" Reflectix style on mine. They work good at blocking the light and OK at insulating but overtime they shrink. I plan on re-doing them by gluing them to a slightly oversized 1/2" closed cell foam (carpet underlay) and leaving a gap in the 1/2" foam where I need it to fold for storage.

Shouldn't take much more space than what I've got and make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier