Gen 3 Antenna Motor Replacement

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Yes, I searched!

I am in the process of replacing my motor. I got the motor out but was surprised the antenna cable does not disconnect at the motor. Does it actually run all the way through the firewall to the back of the radio? Do I need to pull the radio to unplug and fish the cable of the new unit through?

And secondly. Are there any fixed unit assemblies that work here? I had a generic one from Autozone but because where the hole is cut on the Monty, it would stick at a really weird angle out pointing outwards. Really want to ditch the power motor and go fixed but can't find the right unit.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Perfect timing. I just removed my old antenna motor due to a broken mast and put it on ebay... hint hint. :)

In all seriousness, the antenna cable disconnects down in the passenger side footwell. The rubber grommet it runs through the firewall with is actually attached to the cable. A good tug and she's out.

Here's what I bought to replace it, though the mast was immediately changed because it whistled over 35mph. None of the Autozone etc replacement masts worked. This one was great.

Dual Electronics MAR16B Flexible Mast Marine Antenna AM/FM Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O8WIS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Deirzb9YJN86H

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Perfect timing. I just removed my old antenna motor due to a broken mast and put it on ebay... hint hint. :)

In all seriousness, the antenna cable disconnects down in the passenger side footwell. The rubber grommet it runs through the firewall with is actually attached to the cable. A good tug and she's out.

Here's what I bought to replace it, though the mast was immediately changed because it whistled over 35mph. None of the Autozone etc replacement masts worked. This one was great.

Dual Electronics MAR16B Flexible Mast Marine Antenna AM/FM Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O8WIS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Deirzb9YJN86H

So that's encouraging. I want to ditch the powered antenna. Back to the antenna cable. Where do I access the plug itself? If I remove by tugging, presumably I need to plug the new one in after I feed it through the grommet.

Can you post a pick of what the new antenna looks like? Were you able to get it to mount where it's vertical and not at a weird angle? What mast did you replace it with?

You have no idea how helpful this is...there is not much out there about fixed antenna options that work.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
So that's encouraging. I want to ditch the powered antenna. Back to the antenna cable. Where do I access the plug itself? If I remove by tugging, presumably I need to plug the new one in after I feed it through the grommet.

Can you post a pick of what the new antenna looks like? Were you able to get it to mount where it's vertical and not at a weird angle? What mast did you replace it with?

You have no idea how helpful this is...there is not much out there about fixed antenna options that work.

To access the plug, remove the right side kick panel in the passenger footwell and pull the carpet back. Once you see it, everything will make sense. The antenna is essentially plugged into an antenna cable extension cord that runs from the radio.

Pretty much any universal antenna mount that's like the pic below will work, since this design moves the base of the mast away from the fender.

Here's my new antenna. The mast's thread is a standard size/pattern so most generic replacements will fit. Currently I'm using the one from a failed Autozone kit, but I'll be buying a different mast so I can return the Autozone one.
3774b80751faa696e9456204a1643742.jpg

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Yep. No issues. Don't forget to remove the relay from the footwell also so you don't have the annoying click every time you turn the radio on and off.

RyanY

Adventurer
Just a little FYI - if your antenna isn't moving up and down but you can still hear the motor running, then it's most likely the plastic track that moves the mast that has broken, The mast can be replaced separately and is far less costly than changing out the entire power antenna assembly.

Personally I like my power antenna - it's nice to be able to retract it when there's a tree branch or other obstruction on the trail that could damage it, and not having to worry about taking it off in a car wash is a nice perk as well.

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Yep. No issues. Don't forget to remove the relay from the footwell also so you don't have the annoying click every time you turn the radio on and off.

Installed the new antenna today...exact one you did. Now for the relay. Where exactly is it...under the glove compartment. I hear a clicking going on. Do I just unplug it or actually take it out?

2to4wheels

Adventurer
Just a little FYI - if your antenna isn't moving up and down but you can still hear the motor running, then it's most likely the plastic track that moves the mast that has broken, The mast can be replaced separately and is far less costly than changing out the entire power antenna assembly.

Personally I like my power antenna - it's nice to be able to retract it when there's a tree branch or other obstruction on the trail that could damage it, and not having to worry about taking it off in a car wash is a nice perk as well.

Thanks the advice...too late:)

For all those wondering, it's actually not that hard it all. Took me total about 20 minutes to remove and install new one including running new cable.

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
Installed the new antenna today...exact one you did. Now for the relay. Where exactly is it...under the glove compartment. I hear a clicking going on. Do I just unplug it or actually take it out?

You can do either one. I removed mine completely and put it on Ebay because I have no use for it. Just don't undercut me when you do.... :-D

It's dead center under the dash in the passenger footwell. I stuck my head underneath and turned the radio on and off to isolate where the noise was coming from. You'll feel the relay engage when you put your hand on it.

Here's a picture of mine:
s-l1600.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Personally I like my power antenna - it's nice to be able to retract it when there's a tree branch or other obstruction on the trail that could damage it.

The installation of a switch in the dash that controls the antenna operation is how I attacked the issue...works a treat.

2to4wheels

Adventurer
You can do either one. I removed mine completely and put it on Ebay because I have no use for it. Just don't undercut me when you do.... :-D

It's dead center under the dash in the passenger footwell. I stuck my head underneath and turned the radio on and off to isolate where the noise was coming from. You'll feel the relay engage when you put your hand on it.

Here's a picture of mine:
View attachment 405974

Yep..tracked that down too but just feeling the clicking. I am not removing/selling mine just in case I want it again. Unless the Ebay route is lucrative...then I may sell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles