Why not use frozen water bottles for cooler for 2-3 day trips?

CSG

Explorer
My camping van has a 2 way Norcold fridge and almost 200 amps of coach batteries to run it. But I do use my Land Cruiser for overnighters and if I take any food that needs cooling, freeze a few Costco water bottles for ice. As they thaw, I can drink nice cold water. I understand that on a longer trip with a cooler, the frozen water bottles will need to be replaced with bagged or dry ice but for the short trips, why use anything else? What don't I get?

rotti

Adventurer
I do the same thing only with Nalgene water bottles, plastic milk cartons, and my favorite Arizona iced tea containers....(quality packaging by the way).

I keep my freezer stocked with "free ice".

Weeds

Adventurer
I thought that was what everybody did. I prefer rectangular Nalgene bottles or rectangular juice bottles.

Modeler

W1DCS
I also use Dunkin Donuts Box-o-Joe bags and fill them about 3/4 full before freezing. They last 3-4 days typically.

CSG

Explorer
Other than for a a party where beer and pop are involved, I've never understood the bags of ice thing so it's good to hear there are others who use the frozen water bottle trick. I don't use other containers because I want the water to drink as it melts and the little Costco water bottles are so convenient.

stingray1300

Explorer
You can still find block ice, but it is getting harder. (so I went and got a fridge)
DANGER! In case you care, exposing plastic containers to extremes in either heat (like reheating food in a microwave) or cold (like freezing water/et al) instantly releases dioxins from the plastics into your food, whether in direct contact or not. Google Johns Hopkins (IIRC) research study on this very topic.

another_mike

Adventurer
You can still find block ice, but it is getting harder. (so I went and got a fridge)
DANGER! In case you care, exposing plastic containers to extremes in either heat (like reheating food in a microwave) or cold (like freezing water/et al) instantly releases dioxins from the plastics into your food, whether in direct contact or not. Google Johns Hopkins (IIRC) research study on this very topic.

Is this the study? http://www.jhsph.edu/news/stories/2004/halden-dioxins-two.html

SoCal Tom

Explorer

This has been disproven, there is no risk from drinking water frozen in plastic
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I see no/little risk in using home frozen water; I currently use a mixture of frozen bottled water and bags of cubes (with cheap coolers it works for 2, almost, 3 days; with a good cooler like a Pelican it works for a week; actual time with ice remaining from each of the last 2 trips).
Tried a 12 volt refrigerator but, for me, it is less than practical since I normally base camp for up to a week without starting the vehicle to recharge the battery (and my 35 AH tent battery is much too small to support my Edgestar fridge, for long, without unwieldy large solar panels; I like shady camp sites which are not very solar compatible)...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Out of curiosity say using bags of ice as it melts do you drain the water out or leave a ice and water mix in cooler?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The ice suppliers don't do block ice anymore. Doesn't melt fast enough thus less ice sold / lower profits.

Block ice is still sold by every gas station and grocery store I have ever stopped in between here and Wyoming when taking the boat out and needing ice for the fish cooler.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My camping van has a 2 way Norcold fridge and almost 200 amps of coach batteries to run it. But I do use my Land Cruiser for overnighters and if I take any food that needs cooling, freeze a few Costco water bottles for ice. As they thaw, I can drink nice cold water. I understand that on a longer trip with a cooler, the frozen water bottles will need to be replaced with bagged or dry ice but for the short trips, why use anything else? What don't I get?

Not sure why the need for an ages old topic, but folks have been doing this for generations, the idea is definitely nothing new. Best size I have found for 3-4 days are the heavier duty juice bottles that have a clear bottle and white handle like this https://www.heb.com/product-detail/ocean-spray-100-cranberry-juice/1446218 We have a few that have been re-used for about 6 years for ice as well as water for the dogs and get beat up pretty good, you can pack them easier in a cooler than a gallon milk jug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles