Introducing Trekker Vans Campervan Rental

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Greetings Gents,

Warning, shameless plug ahead!

Many of you have heard the rumors, but yesterday was our official blast off day! Long story short I decided to start a Campervan rental company this winter and our SF Bay Area location is now officially open for business. The fleet is currently based off of the smallest Ford Transit 150's but we will be adding the other Transit permutations as we go, and hopefully 4wd versions when MG gets that rocking!

My good friend Brian is doing most of the "up-fitting", and I think the vans turned out awesome. The design requirements for these vans were to provide the most functionality with the fewest limitations, in a simple, robust, and user-friendly package. I think we hit that on the head, but we are always learning and will be honing the designs as we go.

Please let us know what you think of our campervans, our new site, anything, we would love to hear from you. Feel free to call, stop by, email, or snail mail.

Also, I'm offering a forum member discount of a free day with any 5+ day rentals.

Cheers!

Nate
https://www.trekkervans.com/

*EDIT* Apparently Photobucket doesn't want to host images?

Slider Option 1 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Congrats Nate! I checked out the website last night when I saw the email. Looks good! You need some more of these interior shots of the vans over on the website.

Best of luck with your new venture/adventure!

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Thanks for the kind words!

We just crossed the 3 week threshold and it's been a huge learning experience. Getting the word out, how do you do that!? It's fun, and funny.

The good news is that our first handfull of renters have all come back with smiles and plans to rent again. So, the Transit is easy to live with, the kit is functional and user friendly, and the bed is comfy.

I know this is builder's forum and I don't want to sound "pitchy", but please feel free to call if you guys are curious about Transits, what we've learned, pro's and cons, etc. I'll be here with bells on!

Cheers,

Nate

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I guess that's my cue....
Nate approached me in January of this year and the conversation sounded something like this, "I'm going to start a camper van rental company out of San Francisco and I want you to "upfit" the vans for me.....I have 5 vans on the way....I know you can do this!"....and why not take the opportunity?
Nate started by sending me lots of information regarding the competition, what is out there in the rental van market, and even a spread sheet outlining some wants and needs.
14v786v.jpg

6yz5h0.jpg

When we finally met in a van, Nate had a pretty good idea of what he wanted. It was up to me to make it all work.
After this meeting Nate sent me a rough Solidworks model which acted as review of what we had discussed in person.
2nizcqq.jpg

It consists on a "full XL" bed which is 52"x84", the bed turns into a dinette with the benches having lift up lids for storage, and a small kitchen box, 3 boxes, easy!
Then as products started coming in, and so did the cardboard mockups and template making.
4hs7eg.jpg

2qv6ro3.jpg

One of the initial challenges was what to do with the floor. The transit has a "floating floor" that is around 1 1/4" thick. It uses Styrofoam for thickness. This allows the floor to be flat with the seat tracks below the level of the floor. This is what is left of the final floor.
It was our opinion that anything built on top would require something more substantial than Styrofoam. Besides we would still have to deal with the seat track holes. Since the fit out transversely crosses the van it allows us to split the floor without obvious implications. The second row seat was staying so its tracks needed to be covered, and there were no other edges of the OEM floor showing.
35kod5l.jpg

The other challenge was fitting the fridge between the OEM 2nd row seat and the kitchen box. The fridge is a simple drawer style, 12v, it was chosen for its compactness and low amp draw.
2yxfz0z.jpg

2d10ft5.jpg

Over the course of a couple weeks, I measured, erased, recut cardboard, and Nate and I both mulled over the compromises as we fine tuned the layout.
We had lengthy discussion and debate about the cabinets material and final finish. I knew Nate didn't want stained wood, it just doesn't fit the demographic and look he is going for which has been said to have a more "executive" feel than the competition, efficient, practical, and durable.
I felt Nate was siding on laminate/melamine, I couldn't get behind it. All of the local laminated sheet goods have particle board cores, if you want a Baltic birch or any type of plywood substrate we would have to laminate them ourselves. Because of the nature of the box construction some panels would have to be laminated before hand and others afterwards, a bunch of edge banding, etc.
Besides, rounded corners and laminate don't mix so you have a lot of sharp edges and corners everywhere. Additionally I just don't think laminate has any long term durability.
So I somewhat jokingly suggest Monstraliner. Its a very durable 2 part epoxy with a slight texture, and comes in many amusingly named colors. Nate had mentioned that he wanted something that can be scrubbed if some nastiness spills and dries in one of the storage boxes. The product completely seals the inside of the boxes, this would be one of laminates demises, spill something in the box it gets in the cracks, expands the wood, laminate buckles, etc., you could make a bathtub out of the Monstralinered boxes.
Although the cost of Monstraliner is high, the prep time is minimal, very little sanding, hole filling, and no priming or multi stage finishes.
So with that and the dimensions dialed in I bought enough 18mm and 12mm Baltic birch plywood to build two sets of boxes.
wiwojb.jpg

5vdiz7.jpg

dy4nll.jpg

14lpzdf.jpg

Things like the countertop being cut into the window recess in the door, or the table top offsetting onto the interior panel are all things that are very difficult to "model" in the virtual world, these details can really only be found by spending lots of time in the van. The table offset adds a lot of stability and also gained us much needed space between the kitchen box and the table end which wasn't there on the CAD model.
For the table pedestal I made a simple adapter plate that allows the attachment of the pedestal base to some of the OEM seat track mounting holes. For the first two vans I made them out of 1/4" aluminum plate. For subsequent vans Nate had them made in the SF area out of 3/8" steel.
2myvr53.jpg

With fitment fine tuned I could take the boxes in the shop, replicate them into another set, and fine tune some of the details like fridge venting, found some cool vents that go in a 4" hole saw hole, holes for wiring, build the drawer, etc.
28qq8eu.jpg

mt32ia.jpg

2e0l7yd.jpg

Clearances are tight.
We debated flip up, pullout, flip down and every other type of added counter space out there. The design of the box finally dictated the pullout drawer/extended countertop scenario.
I think we both would have like to see more storage in the kitchen box but we are asking a lot of it as is. The desire to have the fresh/grey water in that location has a lot to do with it. Fact is they are so easy to replace, clean, fill right there for renters, and employees of the company alike.
For the first two sets I hand brushed/rolled the Monstraliner. Its messy, time consuming, I'm not a huge fan of painting. The boxes get two full coats. Special attention has to be paid to the end grain of the wood. The grain will telegraph through the paint if you don't dab it with a wet brush/roller. The colors are Medium Quartz Grey and Tarheel, Nate has chosen MQG for all vans from here on out. It is a good match for the OEM Ford interior and looks like it belongs. I cant get the old Agent Orange song out of my mind, ....."everything turns (medium quartz) grey!...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flr6ebGNBpY
20kr56s.jpg

2l91lj6.jpg

Each set of boxes uses 2 gallons of Mliner
The drivers side of the front box has a space and hold down for a second battery. The battery is connected in parallel with the under driver seat mounted OEM battery. In some of the earlier pics, there is a panel that spans both boxes. It is a pressure fit, and covers the battery box.
There was much debate over solar, there is very low current draw, and they aren't expected to be sitting long, and when in the shop they will be on trickle chargers. Solar could be added very easily in the future. You can also see the inside of the front storage bin, the boxes are held down by OEM fasteners in some locations, all locations are pre/existing floor inserts.
300sbc6.jpg

Also in this pic, the 105 degree lid holder soft closers, so nobody gets their fingers smashed. The lids all have nearly full width piano hinges.
The rear storage box. I relocated the OEM jack here, it was mounted on the right rear side wall in the way of the "hallway", also in this pic, you can see the webbing and grommets that hold the modified 4" Lucid mattress. I have had a local seamstress separate the sections of the foldable mattress and re sew the seams. Also I cut the foam in an area on one of the panels to conform to the van interior at the left rear.
15yhpxf.jpg

We are using laminate for the counter/table top, and pullout shelf. Currently I have been buying "bargain bin" sheets at $1ish a sq. ft.
Nate wasn't picky on color/style so it was easy. In these pics its a grey micro dot, upcoming vans are a simulated dark wood.
4tx1u9.jpg

29596p3.jpg

de1ekg.jpg

2ihnyb6.jpg

More later...

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Jumping back a bit, I mentioned things were tight, between the 2nd row seat and the slider door there is enough room for the fridge width, 18mm plywood and the Reliance jugs, nothing else. The kitchen box is sitting on the floating floor/threshold and overlapping the front bench box. They are screwed together, and the kitchen box is bolted down using an original seat track insert and a new longer bolt. Here is a pic of the front bench box with the fridge top off.
2ytp4kp.jpg

Here is a pic showing the simulated wood laminate and the dark stained drawer box. Because I'm using bargain bin laminate it will probably change every 4-8 vans until Nate decides he wants to settle on one product.
2motouq.jpg

Also note the relocated faucet on the final versions vs. un painted pics.
I should elaborate on the water system, as mentioned previously these are the Reliance 7 gallon water containers, https://amzn.to/2sDaKtd.
The forward tank is the fresh water, it is equipped with a pickup tube and a line running to the manual pump faucet, https://amzn.to/2sF6GJ1.
The line has a quick disconnect fitting on a 3/8" diameter hose. The rearward tank is for the grey water, the original cap was over bored for a flexible bildge pump hose. The hose fits over the sink drain (loosely). Its all very, very simple.
The containers are easy to remove and replace, wash/bleach out, fill/drain using any method, easily replaceable, and cheap, case closed. The hand pump was a surprise move on Nate's part. I could have gone either way but I also made a really good case for why it should be a hand pump. Less chance for messes, less amp draw, less chances for messes.
I will try not to tease Nate to much on this one, it is the only pic I had of the quick disconnects we used. These are very nice.
331ow1y.jpg

Overall this is a very simple camper van. It is what I would call a "weekender" package similar to a VW Eurovan.
I put some miles on the vans after upfitting, running errands, etc. There isn't a bunch of new squeaks and rattles.
After handling many of the 3 other seats that are removed from the van for the conversion I really don't think we added any additional weight over the "as delivered" van.
These are the 130" WB, 10 seater, low roof, with the v6 3.7L, the van is peppy, fuel efficient (compared to my V10 BATVAN), nimble, and quiet. I did take it up to my local ski resort and it did ok on the broken snow floor road on the way up, but it couldn't quite make the climb up a steep access road to my favorite parking lot, it just spun its wheels as I got passed.
Speaking of winter, there is no built-in heater.

Last edited:

bdog1

Adventurer
Really interesting to read about the process it takes to firm up your design. I hope you both do really well with these. Thx for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
Hi,
I think you will really like the Transit. We love ours.

Any chance you can post your source for the quick disconnects?

Thanks, Martin

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Really interesting to read about the process it takes to firm up your design. I hope you both do really well with these. Thx for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comment. It's like taking a target and starting at the outer ring, you start going towards the center, it might change direction, slowly going in circles around the bullseye working your way towards the center, closer and closer.

Hi,
I think you will really like the Transit. We love ours.

Any chance you can post your source for the quick disconnects?

Thanks, Martin

Hi Martin,
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/
This is a great source, I'm sure you will lose a half day here if you are shopping for water system parts.
B

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I will try not to tease Nate to much on this one, it is the only pic I had of the quick disconnects we used. These are very nice.
331ow1y.jpg

Ha! Yes, this is a good example of what happens when I select a part based on functional specs, and neglect to consider the physical space it has to operate in. Both of these fittings are quick disconnect, no-leak, high flow couplers. One is obviously overkill! :)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Looks very nice and a great idea!

Suggestion for start up, have a ton of quality brochures made up, buy space a the air port to put them in there near the rental car offices.

You might hook up with a rental car bunch locally and figure out a commission.

Same thing with travel agencies, they should be easy to work with. Camping tours could be nothing more than some maps and the keys, you deliver locally.

I wouldn't go overboard on advertising as this is a specialty and you can find your target market, TV and radio will be too much for the return, IMO. Specialty magazines, Camping World or RV'er types may be well worth the cost, you already know that market.

Do not take on long term contracts! Not starting out.

Do not seek investors early on, banks can finance receivables.

Since you're loading up vehicles with equipment, load up with liability insurance, and don't mention your coverage levels LOL. I can see a crash and the kitchen sink flies forward killing fido or junior even worse.

Best of luck in your business venture! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier