Roof top tent for a family of four which one?

Box Rocket

So the Kukenam XL is a single ladder but still four person so it just doesnt have a huge span like the really large double ladder tents im assuming? I think we would like to keep the kids close for a bit until they get a little bigger but I love the idea of using the annex as they grow for more sleeping space. Those are great options thank you! Beautiful photos by the way!
Yes the Kukenam XL is a 4-person, single ladder tent with a shorter span that the super large double ladder tents. The Autana XL would have the same 4-person sleeping area and also include the annex (which is huge) and could accommodate a growing family quite well.
Ruggedized
https://tepuitents.com/collections/ruggedized-roof-top-tents/products/autana-xl-ruggedized-sky
Non-Ruggedized
https://tepuitents.com/collections/4-person-roof-top-tents/products/autana-xl-roof-top-tent

stingray1300

Explorer
OK, I guess I'm sleepy or something, but where could you not take a pop up camper (4 Wheel brand, e.g.) that you can take an RTT? Sorry for my ignorance...

stingray1300

Explorer
17932050_1483730348338287_2708782126366457856_n.jpg

That's looks an awful lot like Dedekera Canyon in Death Valley... Am I close?

cvanhook

Sorry when pop up camper was mentioned I didn't take that as meaning off road camper, I took it as meaning your typical pop up. That being said the off road campers are awesome but financially they are not even close to being in budget, and for what we want to do a rtt is the best option.
OK, I guess I'm sleepy or something, but where could you not take a pop up camper (4 Wheel brand, e.g.) that you can take an RTT? Sorry for my ignorance...

dlh62c

Explorer
I can see some advantages to a RTT and camping beside a vehicle, but having to offload and repack gear at every stop and in ****ty weather, not being one on them.

I'm all for going to remote places, but there have been times where parking up and pulling out the steps and unpacking a single chair too much.

Make sure your wife is on board with all this. If the kids aren't happy, mama isn't happy, if mama isn't happy, no one else will be.

Do you plan to travel in a group?

If everyone doesn't experience and tolerate the same levels of joy, pain, suffering and expense, the outing will be miserable for all.

slvyj

Observer
I got a Type E from ODIN Design, which at the time was located close to me and was offering a good discount for local pickup. Just used it a couple of weeks ago, myself, wife and two daughters; ages 7 and 4 sleeping on the mattress. I can see in a few years it will be difficult but until then, I'm enjoying it.

camping.jpg

Explorer0863

Adventurer
I went through the "research" phase of an RTT purchase 3 years ago. I ended up with a Tepui Gran Sabana (4 person). Why? 1 simple, and yet very often overlooked feature: customer service. Period. CVT dropped the ball so many times, I gave up. I know nothing of 23___. Bear in mind, there are a LOT of newcomers to the RTT market. I would personally run from most of them, just because they're newcomers. Tepui had/has everything I want(ed) in an RTT. They answer their phones. They answer all questions. They make right, any problems immediately.

^^ He is exactly right. That's why I bought the same tent, not to mention that I found one in FL for a great price, so I just drove 4 hrs to get it. No problems since I bought it and we have been using it in the Caribbean for the last 2 years where it rains a lot. I have it mounted full time and it's always dry inside.

My only upgrade was a self-inflatable sleeping pad that i put on top of the factory mattress.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 33

Orenv

So my idea is to elevate the top of my M1101 trailer so that I can have a "galley" inside to comfortably play cards and eat, etc. Then have a 4 season tent on the roof. I have travelled in a low top van for over a year and a half, and being able to sit up at a table is a wonderful thing. I like the idea of a regular 4 season tent and am trolling Ebay looking for a used one. I have camped on many a beach in my old 4X4 van and appreciate something that can handle the wind. Plus with a regular tent, I can always set it up on the ground if the wind is insane beside my M1101. Still planning this out. I think a fold-out platform to fit the tent footprint wiht poles to hold everything in place. Maybe an awning too. I want to elevate the regular canvas roof on the M1101 so it can be comfortably sat in, that could also be converted into a bed (for hunting trips). I think one more foot higher and that would be enough. I will use the pickup to haul whatever toys I have (such as a 12' achilles inflatable sport boat and motor). Still looking for ideas/inspiration.

YOu may ask, why not have an RV. Well, the M1101 can go anywhere. I have been lots of places RV's fear to tread.

VicMackey

Adventurer
Raising the headspace of the trailer sounds like a good project. Having a comfortable, protected space is definitely worth pursuing. One of my next projects will be figuring out how I can create a more protected cooking space. I don't mind going to Pop Tarts and sandwiches if the weather turns, but some people aren't as thrilled with cold meals.

I guess I'm not seeing that much benefit of putting a regular ground tent on a platform. The pitch time will be the same, or possibly worse since the platform may complicate things. If I'm understanding your plan, it may be challenging to support that large of a platform that high in the air. I've seen ground tents pitched on trailers, but they were on the main deck of the trailer, not several feet atop a platform. If the trailer cover is raised, and you pitch a tent with standing room above that, I'm guessing the top of the tent will be around 15' in the air. I have a 10'x10' Kodiak / Springbar tent that handles wind well, but I'm not sure it'd function well as a penthouse.

RTTs benefit from having the tent body integrated with the base, not only with the pole/strut attachments, but with the entire lower perimeter attached to the base, and with webbing arcing from one side of the folding base to the other, tying all of the poles together. It's also very fast to pitch, and pretty quick to pack. Your ground tent penthouse idea may work, but many people have added RTTs to trail ready trailers and been happy with the result. If you created that cozy space inside your trailer and added an RTT on top, I think you'd have a very slick setup.

Orenv, I agree with DoorDing. IMHO the entire point of the rooftop tent is fast deploy and fast take down. I can literally park and be up in my RTT with my head on the pillow in 2 minutes if I had to be. I suppose if I were super paranoid of snakes/scorpions, that could be another reason to want to put a regular tent on top of the trailer I guess.

Other than the critter issue, I would go ground tent all day long and not have the pain in the *** of climbing up into the tent.

Willard27

One more vote for the CVT Rainier, but I am not going to lie, there are nights when I wish we had a Denali. Dad has been known to catch a couple Z's in the 4Runner around 3am.

We bought ours in 2014, kids are now 11 & 13. We are also short people (5'8"), and fit up there with 5 if you include the Westie. We've tried the 3 north-south, 1 east-west sleeping arrangement, but drawing short straw and getting feet in your face, or being trapped when the midnight-pee hits has not been a big win. 4 across works with feet at the door. Keep in mind this will not be the best sleep of your life regardless of your choice. Snoring will not be any quieter in a Denali. Picture shows how it is more than big enough for 3 to sleep (post 3am configuration).

Why Rainier vs Denali?

1. You have to get it on your roof. Rainier just about puts me in the hospital as it is.

2. You have to store it when it isn't on your roof. It's easier to hide a 6' long box in the garage than a 7.25' one.

3. The annex gives you the room you need.

4. You have an extra $400 to be used on beer and earplugs.

I haven't been using the annex since I am lazy and it needs extra room to pack, but that is our plan as the kids get a little bigger. Either way pull the trigger and get one. The memories include the drama.
IMG_20170529_155659_754.jpg
IMG_20170623_073500.jpg

Ravenmad

Observer
23 zero

We bought a 23 Zero Bundaberg RTT with annex room last month for an extended road trip. Slept in it 12 nights in a row as we traveled and camped. Love it... Like a few people have said before, if it cost less than $3000. It's probably made in China. I live in Colorado, we road tripped to Oregon and I had fully intended on buying a CVT in Bend as we passed through. However, I stopped and talked to 23zero, looked at their tents and in the end picked up a Bundaberg. They met me on a day they were closed because I was passing through and let me basically install it on sight. I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

The guys I wheel with have both CVT and Tepui tents. Both good products I think, and in looking at each of them up close they are very similar. The Bundeberg was just the better deal for us. Good quality, proven design, great customer service, all the options we wanted (annex room, star gazer, black cover to match the jeep). Anyways, that's my exspierence...

image.jpgimage.jpg

cvanhook

We bought a 23 Zero Bundaberg RTT with annex room last month for an extended road trip. Slept in it 12 nights in a row as we traveled and camped. Love it... Like a few people have said before, if it cost less than $3000. It's probably made in China. I live in Colorado, we road tripped to Oregon and I had fully intended on buying a CVT in Bend as we passed through. However, I stopped and talked to 23zero, looked at their tents and in the end picked up a Bundaberg. They met me on a day they were closed because I was passing through and let me basically install it on sight. I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

The guys I wheel with have both CVT and Tepui tents. Both good products I think, and in looking at each of them up close they are very similar. The Bundeberg was just the better deal for us. Good quality, proven design, great customer service, all the options we wanted (annex room, star gazer, black cover to match the jeep). Anyways, that's my exspierence...

View attachment 411990View attachment 411991

Ravenmad, Thanks for your input. That's actually the same tent I am leaning towards after all the research I have done. I am glad to hear you like it. I agree when it comes down to it 23zero, cvt and tepui all make a great product and I don't think anybody could go wrong with any of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke