Roof top tent for a family of four which one?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sorry when pop up camper was mentioned I didn't take that as meaning off road camper, I took it as meaning your typical pop up. That being said the off road campers are awesome but financially they are not even close to being in budget, and for what we want to do a rtt is the best option.

some reason you have to go with an RTT instead of an inexpensive but decent 8-person ground tent? Lots of those for under $300. Going up and down a tiny ladder gets tedious after a while.

https://www.amazon.com/CORE-Person-...02155184&sr=8-5&keywords=8+person+ground+tent

VicMackey

Adventurer
some reason you have to go with an RTT instead of an inexpensive but decent 8-person ground tent? Lots of those for under $300. Going up and down a tiny ladder gets tedious after a while.

https://www.amazon.com/CORE-Person-...02155184&sr=8-5&keywords=8+person+ground+tent

IMHO where the RTT wins is in fast deploy and fast tear down. With the RTT you can have your head on a pillow in 2-3 minutes. This allows you to drive longer into the night by not having to allocate 45 minutes for camp set up and break down.

tppatron

We just did a 1-month road trip this summer with a family of 4 (2 kids age 10 & 12) in our CVT Mt. Denali Extended. I have it mounted on a trailer that we got from Freespirit Recreation at an auction. It was an old showroom model and the price was too good to pass up! No regrets with our CVT. We opted for the less rugged pioneer series and it's more than adequate for our use which is campgrounds vs. overlanding.

The Denali was the largest size I could find (96" x 87" if my memory serves) and was plenty of room for the 4 of us, and my son is an active sleeper. Being on a shorter trailer, the annex was a pain to set up so we sewed some ripstop nylon 'shower curtains to hang from the perimeter of the cantilevered tent base and stored our bags down there. On a taller trailer, the annex would provide a TON more space so I'm considering fabricating a platform to raise our tent for next summer.

I never experienced any issues that RocketBox described, but we have only had it for one season so maybe it's too early to tell. I will say that I think the 2-ladder setup is better than a 1-ladder option on the largest Tepui tent. The platform is super solid with 2 ladders. I live near Sant Cruz where Tepui is located and visited their showroom before purchasing. The quality seems about the same between CVT and Tepui, so you can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't be surprised if they were manufactured in the same Chinese factory.

Good luck - you will enjoy whatever you get. Just don't spend too much time on these forums researching. Get out there to enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles