Looking for advice after multiple flats on Cooper AT3's with Discovery 4

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Stuart,

First, just wanted to say hello, and thanks! Thanks because the Icelandic people are some of the nicest I have ever met, and your country's landscapes and trails are amazing. Hopefully "Tread Lightly" catches on there to keep tourists in sedans from screwing it up.

For your discussion, and "translation" of tire data, we Americans should look at this: http://www.tyrespeedrating.co.uk/category/tyre-markings/

That way we are all on same page.

I don't think it is pinching, I think the tires are under spec, and maybe too aired down. We did a bunch of snowy/slippery F roads in April (our own rig, Defender 110 with new BFG TAs) and I aired down maybe 10 on rear and 5-10 on front. Are you in terrain that calls for you to air down as much as you are?

You could always winch out using a tree ;)

stuartr

Thanks guys. Yes, I think this is probably the issue, the spec of the tires. They seem to be good enough to get around in most conditions at standard pressure, but they are clearly not doing too well. Unfortunately, the tire shop probably will not acknowledge that...I might get a discount on new ones, but they will still probably be expensive. I am sure they do not have the E spec in stock, otherwise they would have offered them. The other shop told me there were not stronger tires available in that size, but as we know, that is not the case. In their defense, they probably mean that are readily available in Iceland. In the meantime, I have been running the tires at regular pressure (i.e. not airing down) over the gravel roads, and while the ride is a lot harsher, so far I have not had any more problems. When I get back to Reykjavik I will see what else I can do. The tire shop here was able to fix up one tire, and the other they patched and put in the spare spot, but they said that it was now junk, and that I should get rid of it as soon as possible, and only use it in an emergency to get back to civilization.

KGH: There is no ice at the moment, and the roads are mostly dry, so I was airing down mostly because there is a lot of steep terrain with loose stones, and occasionally larger rocks or ruts. It is nothing super technical, mostly just steep and a bit slippery. I found that airing down gave me both a smoother ride and better traction. I don't feel that airing down was necessary to pass through the terrain, only to make it more pleasant. And yes, I would agree, treading lightly is important! Unfortunately, I think it is more of a case of not treading at all. Many of the areas that are being damaged by tourists can only support a few people a year...just walking on the moss can take decades to reverse. Unfortunately, Iceland is now a victim of its own popularity. In 2010, for example, from January to May we had 210,000 tourists. This year from January to May we have had 752,000. That is more than double the population, and that is during the low season (also the season when the nature is the most vulnerable). They expect over 2 million visitors this year, and in another year of two they expect we will have more visitors than New Zealand, which is more than twice the size and has more than four million locals. This is great for hotels, airlines, bus and car rental companies, and it has rejuvenated the economy, but it has been at a great cost to the character of the country and the environment.

guestwho

Observer
Hi,

I have the same tires in P265/70/16 (stock size) on a stock 2003 4runner. I got a front flat right in the tread block going about 15 MPH on a pretty tame forest service road in Northern California. I posted someone's photo to give an idea of how the conditions were. The air was hissing out, and I stopped and changed it with about half the air left. Luckily no further damage and I was able to have the tire shop patch it without issues. This was at around 32 PSI.
I have to say I'm extremely disappointed that the tires couldn't handle 30 minutes of such easy conditions, especially since the puncture happened in the thickest part of the tire tread. On an old F150, I used to have some BFG Mudders with 10% tread life that I beat on for over a year at high speeds trails with sharp desert rocks without issues.
https://flowersbyhike.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/1dsc_0001road15n6.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles