Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuso air filters

Some other things to consider:

One filter might flow more because it filters less or it might flow more because it has more surface area to flow through. Kind of what Skifreak touched on.

Unless something is lost with the more restrictive filter, I would be inclined to think it's just a better filter. Without a dyno test with O2 and egt readings, you're really only relying on feel unless there is an obvious issue with the more restrictive filter

Yes. How would one get O2 readings? I did the experiment because someone on here somewhere at sometime mentioned they felt the difference between an OE filter and an aftermarket one. I haven't felt the difference. I do know that one time when an exhaust leak dirtied my filter with soot on my CAT 3208, the EGT's skyrocketed to a dangerous level. But I never conducted any tests correlating various levels of restriction with EGT's so I don't know how if it's a linear increase or not.

It's my understanding that more air correlates to lower EGT's assuming the same fuel. You could weld a bung and probe into your exhaust to test it.
    Last edited by Decanter; 06-20-2017 at 04:13 AM.
    Cheers,

John

Build pics and major details on instagram pages
    Fuso FG140 2013, 35" Toyo M608, 19.5" Stockton Wheels, RS9000 front shocks, Knoedler air seats, Mastercraft center seat.
    https://www.instagram.com/fuso4x4/
    Dodge Ram '07 6.7 4x4 w/2017 xpcamper v1, 19.5" Rickson wheels, 34" Toyo M608, Hellwig bags/antisway, Bilstein 5100's, Thuren track bar and control arms, Synergy steering.
    https://www.instagram.com/expododge/

In an ideal world I'd have an EGT gauge, boost pressure gauge, fuel pressure gauge, vacuum gauge on the vacuum pump, and a pre-turbo vacuum gauge. Most of the causes of my real dystopian world lie in my own will.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Yes. How would one get O2 readings? I did the experiment because someone on here somewhere at sometime mentioned they felt the difference between an OE filter and an aftermarket one. I haven't felt the difference. I do know that one time when an exhaust leak dirtied my filter with soot on my CAT 3208, the EGT's skyrocketed to a dangerous level. But I never conducted any tests correlating various levels of restriction with EGT's so I don't know how if it's a linear increase or not.
    You can install a wideband O2 gauge and sensor and or an EGT gauge and sensor. Or if you were to find a shop with a chassis dyno, they could measure the O2 and possibly the EGT but your exhaust would need an EGT bung.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12