1991 Suburban 1/2 ton aka StormTrooper

FeralBoy

Observer
Low tech but fuel injected is the best era. Real t case shifter and floor mounted dimmer ******!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ClovisMan

Observer
Perusing craigslist in the middle of the day when it's 100* outside is bad. Found this bedslide that was in the next town over and only a fraction of the cost of a new one. It's 4 foot wide and 6 foot deep. I have about 4 inches clearance before it hits the second row of seats. Once I powerwash it and recover the wood with some new carpet, it will look good as new. Best thing is now this fat guy will not have to crawl up over the burb tailgate now. Makes not having barn doors a little easier.
Burb25.jpg

Burb26.jpg

It actually comes out pretty far. If I build a drawer/platform system on the bedslide then it will extend even more. I need to make some 1 inch spacers of some sort so it will clear the tailgate. Maybe aluminum??
Burb27.jpg

cyclic

Adventurer
Very nice, if I had the tailgate that would be mandatory. For spacers I'd just get some of the synthetic deck wood and make a couple spacers. Tough long lasting stuff and won't cause any rust issues.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I like the upgrades to your `Burb´there Cyclic. Your truck is coming along nicely. Just take your time and add the things you need bit by bit and it will be all good.. Cheers, Chilli..:)

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
The problem is that the vapor canister is in the spot that the battery and tray need to occupy.
View attachment 407540

So I needed to relocate it. No problem, I'll just scooch it over a few inches to the radiator support. Drill a few holes, grab a few bolts and...VIOLA!
View attachment 407541

View attachment 407542

Any chance You could post a couple pictures showing a better angle of where the canister got moved to?? My '91 has the canister in the way of the second tray I got from the wrecking yard and I hope to get it mounted soon!

ClovisMan

Observer
Any chance You could post a couple pictures showing a better angle of where the canister got moved to?? My '91 has the canister in the way of the second tray I got from the wrecking yard and I hope to get it mounted soon!
It's hard to get in there, but I literally swung it over to the core support right next to the radiator. I drilled 2 holes to match the hole on the bracket in the core support and pulled the headlight surround off to access the backside of the holes so I could tighten a bolt/nut.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
It's hard to get in there, but I literally swung it over to the core support right next to the radiator. I drilled 2 holes to match the hole on the bracket in the core support and pulled the headlight surround off to access the backside of the holes so I could tighten a bolt/nut.

Excellent, I have looked at it a couple of times and didn't think it would fit moved over to that part of the compartment, if you got it to fit I will give it a shot, Thanks!!

ClovisMan

Observer
Today was HHHHOOOTTT but productive. I set up mu redneck canopy and got to it. Finally got the rear a/c motor repaired and all buttoned up. Then I recovered the BedSlide and got it mounted up. I took Cyclic's advise and used some old composite decking used at my rent house and made spacer plates. It worked perfect. I'm really digging it.
Burb28.jpg
Burb29.jpg
Burb30.jpg

ClovisMan

Observer
Finished the dual battery and inverter wiring. Mounted the inverter where the spare tire used to go.
TeuCkHt.jpg

Took the kids in the Stormtrooper down to our favorite watering hole on the Guadalupe River. Found an Burn Ban-proof fire. :)
wWEjFH4.jpg

1RdmdKj.jpg

34afJSz.jpg

Once we got back I decided to start figuring out how to actually load all my beach/shark fishing junk up. Used an old Pool Net extendable handle and a clothes hanging bar from one of our old SUV's that got traded moons ago. A $1.07 for a pool noodle and I was set. :)
fuJmT0z.jpg

tDt1htu.jpg

NIiPEkF.jpg

9zQ3xwv.jpg

So...ghetto or genius?? lol

ClovisMan

Observer
Made a score today. Picked up a 14 bolt semi-float in 6 lug for the grand total of FREE. It was under a K5 so the perches and shock mounts have already been moved and the tubes have been welded. Trying to turn my V1500 to V2500 standards, atleast for towing. The axle currently has 4.88 gears. Too much??
TGm0gxe.jpg

MTCK

Observer
Sweet rig. 4.88 is pretty short, but I always prefer having too much gear as opposed to not enough. My V3500 with 33's and 4.56 gears and overdrive was perfect in my opinion for cruising 60-65 with the TBI 350.

ClovisMan

Observer
Sweet rig. 4.88 is pretty short, but I always prefer having too much gear as opposed to not enough. My V3500 with 33's and 4.56 gears and overdrive was perfect in my opinion for cruising 60-65 with the TBI 350.

Shoot, this is Texas, cruising speed here is 85! LOL
I have 33's right now but wouldn't cry if I had to go to 35's. That's as big I want to go on tire size though.

Last edited:

MTCK

Observer
2800 rpm on 35's, 3k on 33's per Randy's R&P calculator with your 4L60 overdrive ratio of 0.7. If you can live with that I'd regear the front and keep the rear at 4.88.

rayra

Expedition Leader
great for off-road, but it's gonna hurt your already low fuel economy. Good score though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles