1991 Suburban 1/2 ton aka StormTrooper

FBJR

Adventurer
Nice find. I like the square bodys also, have 2 in the drive, 1 to flip.

Had a bedslider in another burb and one in my dmax now, love em! Newer ones have the plastic sides, I changed mine to regular angle and drill more holes.

Shark fishing sounds fun, I just do more fresh water stuff. Hers a few trout from Ice House (near rubicon entrance).

Those 9.5 are good rear ends. To bad the gears are so low. I have one for my 1500 flip with 3.73s since the 8.5 blew up with 33s.

That headliner looks great, thats another thing that is normally not so in these.

I would look at a steering box brace. 1/2 tons are famous for cracking the frame around the mounts.

ClovisMan

Observer
The left is the stock 3.42 gears with the factory 235/75/15 tires. The right is 4.88 gears with 35's. Is this bad? looks like 200-300 rpm off throughout the entire range. Will this have a negative affect?
488gears.JPG

ClovisMan

Observer
I'd say its getting pretty serious.
VIov9JD.jpg

nvbhXpU.jpg

WMsNOok.jpg

My bumpers are done! So now the real question...powdercoat or Line-X?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Any chance You could post a couple pictures showing a better angle of where the canister got moved to?? My '91 has the canister in the way of the second tray I got from the wrecking yard and I hope to get it mounted soon!

In my '85 C-10 the cannister is down low over the frame rail by the steering box. IIRC it's mounted to the radiator core support panel. I too put the dual battery tray in mine, a very long time ago. Never got around to adding the 2nd battery in that vehicle. I'll get a pic this morning, have some driveway wrenching to do real quick before temps climb to 105F today.

Bojak

Adventurer
If your asking for opinions between the 2, powdercoat. Bed liner should stay in beds or low on rockers IMOP. It tends to flake, peel, and fade when used as a coating. Also holds on to dirt and debris. Just my 2 cents. I would do some heavy duty industrial paint before liner. Wipes off and looks new again. Easy to maintain. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet burb.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ClovisMan

Observer
Got the matching 4.88 gears for my front 10 bolt and picked up a lockright for the rear GM 9.5.
7PbLTpe.jpg

The magic orb of traction. Now when I get stuck it will be deeper and harder to get out. :)
Rwa0rGp.jpg

So once I swap this rear in, I assume I can drive in 2wd with the front lockouts unlocked and still be okay with mismatched gears until I get it to someone who knows how to setup the 10 bolt front, correct?

FBJR

Adventurer
Yep, you will be fine. And if in really loose stuff, you can still go 4x4 but not much.

I bet you can handle the front. Not hard to do really. Hardest part is the crush washer. Start with the shims you have and go from there.

Kingsize24

Damn! Since you are a native Texan, want to make some more bumpers? That turned out excellent, and the quality looks better than anything I have seen. Nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke