ARB Fridge in the truck bed

chops749

Observer
Is anyone running their fridge in the bed of their truck without a cap? I have a roof rack and RTT, but no cap and was wondering if this is possible? How did you wire it?

chops749

Observer
Thanks for the info. Is there anyone out there running a fridge in their truckbed with photos of how you wired everything up?

Lumpy70

Observer
I just finished this last night, so I'm happy to post up how it went.

I started with drawing the spacing in the back of the truck, where to put it etc

1.jpg

I wanted something that was removable in case I needed to load drywall or whatever, so I chose these "nutplates" from ebay. They are riveted in. I placed the nutplates into the valleys of the bed and not the ridges so that the rivets do not get worn off.

2.jpg 3.jpg

Due to the attachment points being in the valleys, it was suggested by a buddy to place them on 'pucks' so the fridge slide doesn't pull up the metal of the bed. I cut 4 pucks out of 3/8" UHMW. Now the slide sits about 1/8" above the valleys. Each bolt got some goop so it didn't rust into place.

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Fridge slide installed, and fits perfectly under the tonneau cover.

7.jpg 8.jpg

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Lumpy70

Observer
For power, I ran some #6AWG welding cable, fused, from battery in the engine bay and built a 'box' to change connection types and to be able to provide me with an instantaneous voltage and temperature under the tonneau (the fridge has it's own thermostat.
10.jpg 11.jpg

I have longer term plans to install an aux battery and a battery isolator but I ran out of time. Currently the fridge (Dometic CFX-40) has a low voltage cutoff so that if the battery voltage goes below 11.9V it will shut off. Not ideal for cooling food, but at least my starting batteries will be ok.

Once I have the aux battery I can insert a solar panel as well.

Here's the drawing of the final version of the wiring if I ever get to it.

Battery Box.jpg

Lumpy70

Observer
It was a trade from a friend, not store bought.

I had 20" of clearance from the base of the bed to the underside of the tonneau.

Superduty

Adventurer
Lumpy, do you have a link for those nut plates?

Did you consider just using rivnuts? Though these plates seem like a stronger option.

Lumpy70

Observer
I did consider rivnuts, however when the slide is extended and the weight of the fridge is pulling (via a long cantilever) those rivnuts straight up...I felt that the sheet steel of the truck bed wouldn't hold. I was worried that they would just pull straight out.

At least the nutplates have some surface area resisting the "shearing" that I was paranoid of.

Here's the link of the ones I bought (no affiliation):
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-8-TWO-LUGS...ash=item4d578fba65:g:FPkAAOSwnipWV-JG&vxp=mtr

Craig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne