Ford V10 reccomendations and advice

86scotty

Cynic
Couple of things I want to point out. When you see references to newer V10 and the 5-speed automatics, those are the newer 3-valve engines. Without actually looking it up I think they have an extra 80HP or so over the older version you have. I remember an old neighbor who had a V10 motorhome and traded it in on a newer (and a little bigger) one. Went from the old 2-valve to the new 3-valve and was really impressed at the improved performance.

The general rule of thumb is adding 4WD eats 2MPG. Loose another 1MPG per inch of lift. Not always true, but generally pretty close.

I'm confused here too. I wasn't aware that any E-series, even chassis cabs for motorhomes, got the 3 valve. I had a 3 valve Expedition 5.4 and it was absolute garbage. Nothing but trouble. I'm not hating on 3-valve v-10's but that experience was bad enough for me to stay away from 3-valve Triton motors forever.

My 05 MH is a 5-speed (5r110) equipped 2 valve v10. I added an AFE intake per CarringB's excellent advice and a 5-star tune after tuning 3 or 4 Fords with 5-Star now. The performance is amazing. It's a 25' MH weighing 10,700 loaded and drives like a car. I can only imagine what it would be like in my 98 V10 van but don't have the funds yet.

Another note, don't tune a vehicle expecting better fuel mileage. That's a pipe dream. It will perform a lot better but you won't see an MPG improvement. At least not in the few I've done or anything I've ever read (other than advertising). It's still well worth it.

Timjim

Observer
I got about 1-1.5 mpg better when I put the 5 star on my 2013 v10.

Empty van before 4x4 ~13mpg highway. After 4x4 conversion and build it was about 10mpg highway. Added 5 Star Performance 87 and got back to 11-11.5 mpg. But I agree that the best thing is the performance. Some of the best money spent on the van.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't know about mileage change with the 5 star tune. I never plan any performance mod to increase mileage, it's all about drivability for me. I installed 4x4 and tires and tune pretty much all at once. Quickly re-geared to 4.56 as well. Been averaging 10mpg in town and 12mpg highway. Again that's 5 star tune, 4.56 and 35" tires. 5r110 and 2v v10. Aluminess bumpers etc. Not terrible considering the size and weight. Performance is great.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
My 2005 v10 got 3mpg after the high HP tune, the mild and economy tune only saw 1.5 better than stock.
My 7.3 gets 4 mpg better with the 60 tune and just shy 6mpg on the 80 tune over stock.
The trick to mpg is to drive like it's stock and underpowered with lots of cruise control lol.
It's called self-control. Bwhahaha!

cruiser812

Observer
Just finished using the van to tow an 18 foot trailer with an 800 pound safe and tractor. It did very well considering although i did find myself wanting a bit more power being spoiled coming from a diesel. I think the tuner would be a valuable investment. Even with the load the mileage only dropped about .5 mpg to 11.5. They really do get about the same unloaded or loaded.

jronwood

Adventurer
Old thread , but worth noting bone stock 2014 ambo e350 v10 4:10 limited slip. 245/75/16 factory tires...65mph cruise control thru the mountains solid 15 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles