Tommy Campers

ctec04

Looks great but pretty sparse for a mid 18k price point with storage.
Kevin

I think you are getting the currency conversion backwards. It would be in the mid $11k USD which is about the same as a 4 Wheel Camper shell model.

I like the construction of this one better and love the outside access to slideouts. You could have a heck of a outdoor kitchen with this one.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I think you are getting the currency conversion backwards. It would be in the mid $11k USD which is about the same as a 4 Wheel Camper shell model.

I like the construction of this one better and love the outside access to slideouts. You could have a heck of a outdoor kitchen with this one.
Agreed, not bad then. One thing on the design, he should have flushed the doors on the sides. If a large branch got caught on the lip, the damage could be bad. You also have to have a flatbed to make this design work..
Kevin

Last edited:

Bho4779

How do they stay within the GVW with a flatbed and a camper on a Tundra/Tacoma?

I have a tommy on order for my 2015 Tacoma access cab...gross vehicle weight rating of 5500 lbs (curb weight is 4220). Stock payload of 1280. Removing the stock bed that weighs around 250-ish lbs helps...the aluminum flatbed that comes with the tommy won't way as much. A dry Tommy Camper S4-x weighs around 700 lbs. I'm swapping all my suspension now and will likely run custom Deaver packs.

Anyways, it will be very close to the GVW no doubt with me in it, fuel, water and loaded out. My estimates put me right around the 5400 lb mark.

I do plan on getting it all weighed and seeing where I can trim some weight. Probably should start with myself! Hahaha, quarantine 15! yikes

fwcer

Andrew St. Pierre White is fitting out a Tommy Camper. Details are on his Overlandx4 YT channel. And his initial build was overweight, requiring a re-think as to slimming it down.

Bho4779

Andrew St. Pierre White is fitting out a Tommy Camper. Details are on his Overlandx4 YT channel. And his initial build was overweight, requiring a re-think as to slimming it down.

Yep been following his buildout. He's included a ridiculous amount of stuff on his LC79. He's got several batteries, two spare tires, over 30 gallons of water, two fuel tanks, a full buildout of his camper (mine is coming almost as a shell), and he has the heavier flat bed tray. I think he was around 8800 lbs! The LC79 has a much higher payload than a tacoma and tundra...but jeebus, thats a lot of weight!!

He does do longer trips than I do and no doubt he knows what he needs for those trips. I've got plenty of time to plan mine out...and build up my tacoma. Right now the bed is off and we're boxing the rear frame, plating the front, its getting custom LT suspension up front...basically doing what I can to strengthen it where I can, which is of course adding weight to it already. I've stripped out interior components I don't need and a few other items. I also know that if the Tommy destroys the drive-ability of the tacoma, then I will put it on another platform, likely something full size. Then the tacoma will get caged in the rear and turned into full on dirt/desert fun machine! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles