Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: ROF's Canada & Alaska 2017

August 10 Bears!
    IMG_7830.jpgIMG_7833.jpgIMG_7842.JPGWe made it to Hyder, AK today! We were on the road today for about 5 hours passing by some gorgeous land. Big green trees, huge mountains, waterfalls and glaciers. We even saw a black bear cross the road! (Number 21) The only negative was that there is smoke in the air due to the forest fires.
    Smoky or not, bears have to eat and we went to fish creek to watch! We showed up a little after 6:30 and the boardwalk was already getting crowded. We waited for a little while and eventually a really big black bear lumbered out of the forest and into the creek! He chased down a fish and had a lovely salmon dinner in no time. He dragged it back into the bushes to devour it. Debbie got some excellent shots of it. (Number 22) A short while after that little show, a gigantic grizzly came out of the bushes. (Number 23) They really are huge! This one had been eating really well too because he was looking really plump! He ought to make it through hibernation really well! He ran up and down a few paces and caught a fish pretty quickly as well and also took his catch to the bushes to eat. He had two more catches that we got to witness. Jason was watching with the binoculars and he said that when someone's phone rang, the bear turned his head to look and had nothing but the tail hanging out!
    Bear number 24 was a small one. It did not feel like fishing, poor thing. It pawed out an already dead fish and ate it and then came back for another dead one. At least it won't go hungry.
    The other neat thing we got to see was a bald eagle swooping overhead. I thought it was really going to give us a show but apparently they can be quite the scavenger as well. It munched on a couple of fish carcasses. We had a great time watching nature at work! I think we are going to go back tomorrow to see if the show gets any better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August 11 Salmon Glacier, Salmon Run! IMG_7894.jpgIMG_7881.jpgIMG_7895.jpgIMG_7901.jpg Today we drove to Salmon Glacier. It's the biggest glacier we have seen. On our way up we saw a black bear (number 25) scampering up the side of the hill.
    Across from the glacier was a mountainside meadow with pools of water, streams, flowers and evergreens. There were all kinds of paths either from people or from snow melt. We explored that area for a while. It was one of the most perfect places I have ever been to. I couldn't have dreamt it up.
    When we made it back down the road from Salmon Glacier, we decided to stop at the bear viewing platform even though we all knew it wasn't the best time of day. There was that same black bear that was there last night, eating dead fish and leftovers. I decided to call it Scrappy because it's just getting the scraps. It tried to catch a live fish and failed. It was rather small so maybe when it gets older with a little more experience, it will do better.
    Instead of staying one more night in the area, we started our drive towards Prince George. We saw a sign that said to watch out for bears, so we did. We say one crossing the road (number 26) and then, right there on the side of the Cassiar Highway, we saw a black bear and her two cubs (numbers 27, 28 and 29) munching on grass or clover. She was so close that we were able to get a photo and then Debbie pulled up after us and got several photos. I think she was used to people stopping and making her picture because she just kept right on eating. A few minutes later we saw yet another bear having dinner on the side of the road! Now we are up to 30!

August 12th Litter Bugs!
    Last night we found a great campsite right on Little Tut Lake. It was perfect for our two rigs. The only negative was the trash! Some very trashy people had been there. Campers have not taken very good care of the place in the past.
    You're supposed to leave a campsite better than you found it and so I decided to pour myself a glass of wine and get to work. We picked up beer cans, soda cans, flip flops, paper, plastic, straws. There was also a dirty diaper and toilet paper everywhere but we couldn't quite stomach gathering those up. It was absolutely ridiculous how much trash was there. Especially since BC and Canada in general is very good about putting litter bins at most of their turnouts. Rednecks really are everywhere.
    We drove about 5-6 hours today day and ended up at Swan Lake Campground about an hour and a half outside of Prince George. It has free camping right on the lake. It's got several sites for big rigs and a clean bathroom. It's not off of the beaten path like we prefer but it's free so that's good! We should have known there was a catch. There's a band playing country music really loud about 100 yards from us. They're really not bad but we've decided that we need to get up and leave early so hopefully they won't play late into the night.IMG_7910.jpgIMG_7912.jpgIMG_7914.JPG

Sunny day in Homer. We had a good hot breakfast at camp and rigged up the bikes for exploring around town. We covered 25 miles with a ride out east road, a stop at the local museum, lunch at a diner, and a quick stop at two sisters bakery to get something for dessert tonight. Back at camp Bill tried his luck at the fishing hole. Lots of people trying but not many catching. No fish for dinner tonight. We are wrapping up the day with a walk along the spit. The sattelites must be low on the horizon here, the dishes are mounted pretty much horizontal. Stopped near the visitor center to snag some Wi-Fi. Off to the north tomorrow. Had to throw in one shot of our rock stacking to level the truck at camp. No bears up here. We choked on $700. Per person price to go down to Katmai and decided to find our bears elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD w/ FWC
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    2006 Rubicon Unlimited w/ AT Horizon trailer
    1992 Montero RS (Retired)
    1986 Isuzu Trooper (Retired)
    1981 Toyota 4x4 Pickup (Retired)

August 13th Boondocking
    I IMG_7977.jpgIMG_7992.JPGlove it when Garmin says "In one kilometer, navigate off road." We get GPS coordinates from iOverlander and plug them into the Garmin and we are always rewarded with a site better than anything we've paid for at a campground. I love being off the beaten path and away from the crowds. It reminds me of a line from one of my favorite songs by Over The Rhine "Baby if this is nowhere, how sweet it is to find!" It seems like every time we stay at a campground, it wears us down a little. I have noticed that the only time we seem to talk about going home, is when we are staying at a campground. When we are boondocking, we are discussing how we can make our time out longer in the future.
    We met up with Alex, from Alberta and he ONLY boondocks. He never pays for camping. He bathes in whatever water source is nearby and does laundry at a laundromat. We talked to him awhile before we left Hyder. I think I forgot to mention him in this journal or if I did, it wasn't very much. We met up with him in Alberta or BC, on the first half of our trip and had a lot of the same route but we kept missing each other. Finally in Hyder we met up with him again. He's been down the Dempster and the Dalton this trip!
    Today we drove all day and made it back to the very first campsite that we shared with Frenchie and Debbie. It's even more beautiful than I remember. It's bittersweet though because tomorrow we will be parting ways with Debbie. I'm probably going to cry. Damn it.

All those bears! I think I saw two in Alaska, but did see several more in Canada. More wildlife in general seen in BC and Alberta. Debbie is a good traveling companion and I know you all will miss her, and she will surely feel the same way.
    Alan "Ace" Brown
    2015 4Runner Trail Expedition Ready
    2011 Double R off-road trailer
    2014 Borealis Echo Fat Bike
    Ready to hit the dirt about anytime!
    KJ4UML 146.460 CB Channel 34
    TLCA BRC

Day 30 for us. Our quiet spot on the bay was transformed into a wind whipped angry sea overnight. We woke with winds near 30mph and gusts higher than that and temps in the upper 40's. Not many tents were left standing, the REI one down from us was holding its own. The EZ up on the other side of us was long gone. It was our day for animals. We stopped at the old Russian church in Ninilski and saw a moose and calf on the way in. Further up the road we saw three caribou just along the road heading into Kenai. Our destination for the day was Capt. Cook State Rec. area at the end of the road. We set up camp on the bluff looking out over Cook Inlet and took off on the mountain bikes to explore. On one muddy trail we came upon a moose blocking our way back to camp. They are bigger when you are on a bike instead of inside a car. It was happy eating and slowly moved off tfhe trail for us. After dinner we wandered along the beach collecting agates and watching the tide come in. With a 28' tidal range you can see it coming in pretty fast. We called it a day just about when the sun set a little after 10.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD w/ FWC
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    2006 Rubicon Unlimited w/ AT Horizon trailer
    1992 Montero RS (Retired)
    1986 Isuzu Trooper (Retired)
    1981 Toyota 4x4 Pickup (Retired)

A trip can be just a trip but they can sometimes it becomes an adventure.
    1992 FG, 1994 Hallmark camper.
    1961 CJ3b, V6,OD,PTO winch etc.
    1969 Jeep Commando.
    1998 Harley.
    2, 1982 XT 550's
    1953 Buick Special, that I get out about once a year, 62K original miles.

August 14th Crocodile Tears Down The Icefields Parkway
    Yep. I cried. A LOT! We had coffee together one last time and in my mind I was going to give Debbie a quick hug, say goodbye and jump in the car without blubbering. That didn't happen. One hug turned on the waterworks which then required two more hugs and reassurances that we will stay in touch and plan another trip soon!
    I was still crying as we made our way down the Icefields Parkway but finally managed to get myself under control. Then we caught up to her and chatted on the radios. More goodbyes and blubbering. Oh man am I gonna miss her! I have learned so much from her and she has inspired me so much. Because of her, I will strive to be more independent, adventuresome, brave, patient and kind. To me she is all of these things and more. Meeting and hanging out with her has been my favorite part of this trip.
    I look forward to more adventures with her in the future. Love her SO much!

IMG_7999.JPGIMG_7995.JPGIMG_8035.jpg

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast