Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
I have the passenger side header tacked up and it fits like a glove.

KIMG0096.JPG

KIMG0097.JPG

KIMG0092.JPG

KIMG0094.JPG

The primary for cylinder 6 tucks into the frame rail a bit, but why not use the space. The skid plate/cross member can be seen in the last picture.

I'm guessing that I'll have to make some custom -12 stainless pipes to route the oil lines.

I'm tickled at how well it everything fits. The driver side is going to be more of a challenge due to the external slave cylinder and the oil cooler 'brick'.

I have learned that custom fabricating headers isn't as easy as it might seem.

Ouiwee

Observer
By the way, I don't think that I mentioned the cast 90 degree elbows that connect to the header flange. The brand is Ultimate and they have a nice tight radius. Given how well cast stainless holds up to heat cycles and the proximity to heat (right off the exhaust valve) it seemed a good idea.

I intend to send these off to Advanced Thermal Products (ATP) to get inconel heat shields made. I had them do shields for the turbo, exhaust manifold, and downpipe for my track car and the difference they make is surprising.

Ouiwee

Observer
The merge collector is located at just about the same place as the passenger side. The external slave cylinder is the main obstacle.

KIMG0102.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
I got the radiator shroud sorted out last week. The large fan on the passenger side is a brute. It will just about pull the truck forward.

KIMG0109.JPG

KIMG0112.JPG

Tucked under the intake pipe is a smaller Spal fan that will be the first to be turned on by the ECU and will turn on when the A/C is activated.

KIMG0110.JPG

I'm hoping to get the driver side header tacked up this weekend.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Seems like keeping track of all that plumbing and wiring could get overwhelming. What does your punch list look like?

Ouiwee

Observer
Seems like keeping track of all that plumbing and wiring could get overwhelming. What does your punch list look like?

The wiring has been simplified dramatically with the ECU set up from Chevy. I have a vehicle speed sensor to wire yet and a pink ignition wire to tell the ECU that it is go time. The AC will need some thought since it will have a new compressor (fittings mostly). Of course it has hydraulic brakes and steering, but I ordered a PSC high volume pump with the accessory kit and I don't know how that will do. I'm also considering a different cooler for the power steering. I have to find a spot for the reservoir.

The PCV system is something I will need to sort out. This one is tricky since I want to keep a PCV system, but want to avoid the valve coking issue the Gen 5 LT4's seem to have. The Corvette guys have gone through this already so I have a plan.

The front accessory kit is the biggest unknown. I might have to move things depending on what is discovered.

The dry sump is a cinch. It just involves a few hoses and a tank.

And, I am spending a pile of time on wiring in the cab: radios, displays, charger ports, heated seats, inverters, plasma rifles, etc.

Ouiwee

Observer

The wiring has been simplified dramatically with the ECU set up from Chevy. I have a vehicle speed sensor to wire yet and a pink ignition wire to tell the ECU that it is go time. The AC will need some thought since it will have a new compressor (fittings mostly). Of course it has hydraulic brakes and steering, but I ordered a PSC high volume pump with the accessory kit and I don't know how that will do. I'm also considering a different cooler for the power steering. I have to find a spot for the reservoir.

The PCV system is something I will need to sort out. This one is tricky since I want to keep a PCV system, but want to avoid the valve coking issue the Gen 5 LT4's seem to have. The Corvette guys have gone through this already so I have a plan.

The front accessory kit is the biggest unknown. I might have to move things depending on what is discovered.

The dry sump is a cinch. It just involves a few hoses and a tank.

And, I am spending a pile of time on wiring in the cab: radios, displays, charger ports, heated seats, inverters, plasma rifles, etc.

Ouiwee

Observer
'Dry sump' tank.

KIMG0120.JPG

It should take 12 quarts in the tank and about 3 quarts in the engine. I reckon a 15k mile service interval is in order with full synthetic.

KIMG0123.JPG

By the way, I had the supercharger coolant tank painted.

KIMG0119.JPG

With some luck, I'll have another header at least started tomorrow.

Ouiwee

Observer
There isn't any good way to get hoses around the exhaust header without potential problems from heat. Instead, I decided to just fabricate the hoses out of stainless and utilize the only obvious path available next to the oil pan. I angled things so as to keep the lines protected by the skid plate.

KIMG0126.JPG

KIMG0128.JPG

The tubes exit in front and then route to the sump. I will crimp Aeroquip Startlite hose on the end of the tubes. Neither line will be under much pressure.

KIMG0127.JPG

I'll fashion a hangar for the tubes that bolts to the block so that vibration and such doesn't crack any welds. So, I'm a couple of hoses away from having the dry sump plumbed.

I got some work done on the headers, but was interrupted by a visitor and got off track.

Ouiwee

Observer
I finished the lines by turning a barb for the end of the tube.

KIMG0133.JPG

I turned it out of 7/8" 304 bar stock. I left enough metal so that I could just fuse the two together. The 0.028" wall tube is tricky even despite back purging--I don't want any interior restrictions.

KIMG0134.JPG

Crimped hose assembly.

KIMG0135.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
Here is how the hoses are routed.

KIMG0136.JPG

KIMG0137.JPG

KIMG0138.JPG

The next thing is a bracket to hold the tubes at the end where the hose begins. I torqued down the tubes and everything fits great. As long as the LT4 doesn't need more oil than can go through all those 90 degree turns, this ought to do the trick.

I'm hoping it won't be raining tomorrow and I can continue on the driver side header.

I ordered some silicone couplers and aluminum tube to sort out the engine coolant circuit.

Attachments

• KIMG0136.JPG
    KIMG0136.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 30

Ouiwee

Observer
I managed to get the hanger fabricated--kept it simple and low profile. I used a boss, which is likely for just such things since the one on the other side holds a hanger for the water line out of the oil cooler.

Sorry about the picture quality, it is overcast and getting dark here.

KIMG0140.JPG

KIMG0141.JPG

I think this guy will do just fine. The lines are quite secure, even without the hanger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior