Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
I am aware that opinions differ about gauges and aftermarket products in general. However, I confess that I like the data available with modern cars. I like to know the outside temperature, for example.

So, I bought the Dakota Digital dash kit.

IMG_20160210_071148098.jpg

Outside temperature, compass, altimeter, and a bunch of other configurable data. I also have the GPS unit. If I change tire size, I need only push a button, drive one mile, and push the button again.
~
I would add more pictures, but it seems the site is not allowing that at the moment.

Last edited:

Ouiwee

Observer
It is so strange that I attempt to upload a picture and then nothing.

Here is one I managed to get through. There are LCD displays at the bottom of both the speedometer and tachometer that display a wide range of information. One can cycle through the various screens with a momentary push button.

IMG_20160210_072335632.jpg
~
This is the sort of thing I have in mind for the rear suspension...eventually.

imagesI53MCP2F.jpg

Muttle

Observer
Awesome build so far!
I was curious how you're liking the Fuel injection set up? I'm looking at the same one for my small block.

Ouiwee

Observer
Awesome build so far!
I was curious how you're liking the Fuel injection set up? I'm looking at the same one for my small block.

I think Holley has done a great job with the kit and especially well with the software. I was getting 14-16 mpg on the highway with the 383 and it ran like a top. It took me a while to get it tuned just right in all conditions (e.g., 10 degrees F cold starts, etc.) but I am not a tuner. I did it myself based on a generic map provided by Holley.
~

The closer to stock the engine is, the closer Holley's base map should be. The software 'learns' and tunes itself based on target AFRs. The engine I just put in the truck is more complicated due to the large cam and high output. I intend to have a professional tuner take a look at what I have done and tune knock sensors as well.
~

The kit itself is straightforward to install. The biggest issue is the fuel system and high pressure pump. I think most just get a TBI fuel bucket for the tank and plumb it that way.
~

What is great about the system is that if you modify the engine (install headers) it will adapt and tune accordingly. Also, no trouble with altitude or any other environmental changes that can give carburetors fits. If you find any circumstance where performance is not what you want, just plug in the laptop and tweak things to your liking.

Ouiwee

Observer
The truck weighed in at 6200 lbs with me and tools. Pulling an 18 foot trailer and track car was in excess of what the 383 could handle.
~
So, I got a 'crate' engine...literally.

IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg
~
Dressed
IMG_0653.jpg

~
It is a BluePrint 454 cubic inch small block. The dyno sheet indicates 560 ft/lbs of torque and just shy of 600 horsepower.

IMG_0628.jpg

It comes with a 30 month / 50k mile warranty. Who says you need a big block these days?

Ouiwee

Observer
Power usually means heat, so I upgraded the cooling with a BeCool aluminum radiator. It fit perfectly with the top radiator mounts used with the stock 454 big block engine.
IMG_0785.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg
You can see above that there the aluminum shroud I fabricated to hold an electric fan. I have a 2000 cfm Spal puller fan controlled by the ECU. I put two 12" pusher fans in front of the radiator likewise controlled by the ECU.
IMG_0826.jpg

~
I was seeing ridiculous intake air temperatures with just an air cleaner on the throttle body, so I bought this cold air intake kit. I am very pleased with the quality and it dropped IATs roughly 60 degrees.

IMG_0829.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
I have recently begun work for shielding the cab from exhaust heat as well as noise reduction. Notice the step out for the Atlas transfer case.
IMG_0791.jpg
~
I intend to build heat shields that attach to the exhaust, similar to what OEMs do. I would like to get Inconel shielding built for the headers like what I had done for my track car:

IMG_20151029_155114279_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151029_153808110.jpg
IMG_20151029_153700238.jpg
~
Doing so would eliminate all heat issues, but I'm not sure I could justify the cost.

Ouiwee

Observer
I finally made some progress on the top links for the rear suspension. I built a couple of brackets that fit inside the frame rails.

KIMG0048.jpg

KIMG0049.jpg

KIMG0050.jpg

There are 4 bolt holes in the frame that I used to attach the brackets. It doesn't seem like much, but making these things was a pain in the neck.
~
The ORD brackets look as follows. They have mounting points for bottom links as well but go where the current leaf spring hanger thing lives. So, until I go coilovers in the rear I am in need of a different bracket.
KIMG0052.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
This is a top notch build going on. Kudos to you.

600hp......that would be a good time.

Thanks. Well, it is peppy but I wouldn't say it is quick by any stretch. I just drove a brand new F150 with the Ecoboost set up and it ran like mad...of course it weighs half as much.

Ouiwee

Observer
Holley makes a 7" touch screen digital dash/interface that is a real bargain (in my view). It connects directly to the CAN and includes tuning capability and nearly endless possible configurations. I can check AFRs or any other parameter as I go down the road. Of course, it is configurable as a dash with all the usual information.
~
I spent some time in the shop today machining a mounting solution.
~
KIMG0110.jpg

KIMG0109.jpg

KIMG0111.jpg
~
All the dash gauges are redundant to the ECU gauges just in case one were to fail or provide a questionable value. I used billet 7075 aluminum for the mount and it allows for plenty of adjustability.

Ouiwee

Observer
I also added a line lock for the rear brakes. It works two ways: if I want to shut off the rear wheels when doing burnouts at the dragstrip (yeah, like that will ever happen) or if I want to lock up the rear brakes. I just machined an aluminum plate that bolts up to the proportioning valve and replumbed the brake line.
~
KIMG0078.jpg
~
Press the brake pedal, flip the switch, and the rear brakes are locked up.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
That mount is brilliant. I'd buy one for my iPad since I use it for navigation in my K5. That is if you were willing to make another.

Ouiwee

Observer
That mount is brilliant. I'd buy one for my iPad since I use it for navigation in my K5. That is if you were willing to make another.

As stupid as it sounds, it took me two days in total to make the darned thing. Making another wouldn't take as long but I imagine there are much more cost effective alternatives. I considered a suction mount below with the articulating arms you can get with GoPro mounting kits. The reason I made one is that the Holley unit is aluminum and not particularly light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles