Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
Trucks going to be sweet. Love me a square body. I remember being in body shop jail, it will eventually come out the other end. Merry Christmas.

I have heard it called body shop purgatory. No complaints on my end given the quality work and attention to detail I have seen so far.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all y'all. Let's see what some 2018 has to offer!!

Ouiwee

Observer
There has been much progress on the truck, particularly the body work. I managed to find a company that still makes a comprehensive stainless fastener kit for these trucks (Totally Stainless). All bolts will be replaced with stainless as she is reassembled. The kit includes the hard to find interior bolts/screws as well as a black coating for certain exterior bolts. I also ordered stainless door strikers as well.
~
I bought an aftermarket grill to replace the stock one that was beaten to pieces. I began modifying it to work and decided to give up and just make a grill out of stainless. So, here are some bad pictures of how it turned out.
~
KIMG0352.jpg
~
KIMG0353.jpg
~
KIMG0356.jpg
~
I'll get some better pictures with more details once it is installed
~
It took some work to get the angles right, given that it bows outward. I welded some 5/16 rod next to each turn lamp to trim the edge. It's made of 0.028 walled tube and Tig welded, so it is very rigid and should take quite a beating. The entire grill will be painted.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I think your truck is looking absolutly mint. The body work is awesome.:drool: I am looking forward to seeing your custom grill. Nice fabrication. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Ouiwee

Observer
Can someone, anyone, explain to me why I cannot upload jpg's to this site? I hit the upload button and it does nothing.

Ouiwee

Observer
Apparently, my inability to upload pictures is not related to the size of the file. It will not allow me to upload a 875kb jpg.
~
I guess this thread is finished.

Ouiwee

Observer
Thanks for the link to the fasteners.
how are you uploading your pictures? From your computer or through a hosting site? I can try and help you as I don't want to see this build die.

I have attempted to load from my local machine. I have tried different machines, operating systems, and browsers. Every time I load an image it does not insert the tag. I have had this on photographs before, but it seemed random.

Ouiwee

Observer
Hosted pictures appears to work.
~

RAIWeFm.jpg

zndrKR7.jpg

~
~
Door strikers look fantastic. I turned a couple spacers--the driver side was a bit thicker (these trucks didn't have the tightest build tolerances). No spot welds are visible anywhere around the doors.
~
~
hpgQGb2.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
Glad to see you have the picture issue worked out.
A question about the fastener kit, does it include things like the "J" nuts ?

If you mean the clips with a built-in nut that self locates for things like the inner fenders, the answer is no. I haven't been able to find such a thing in stainless. The closest I have found is nut plates at Pegasus racing and they are not cheap (aircraft parts). If I had more time, I would bend some myself and TIG weld on the nuts.

The kit includes all the bolts you need for the fenders (SS in black oxide) as well as bolts for the bedsides, doors, hood, and interior parts (like the screws that hold on the dash bezel thing, IIRC). The door strikers are sold separately and are the right diameter--no plastic washer thing required. It amounts to a pile of hardware, all neatly packaged into individual bags.

The same company custom makes stainless leaf spring bolts in high strength alloy. I'd like to give them a try on the rear axle. I have used stainless on the brake lines and fuel lines and wherever else I can that makes sense.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

Bigfeet

This is just beyond amazing. What an awesome build. I'm hooked!

I had a 1984 stepside that I miss all the time. She deserved the treatment your truck is getting.

Bigfeet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online