Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
Some pictures. The body shop has slowed down a smidge on all the snow related work.

9fhpQnV.jpg

uMxsMk9.jpg

vUvzVtd.jpg

C47R4wx.jpg

Y6sVSY4.jpg

t3N3sOk.jpg

moI37AT.jpg

~
New everything I can still buy that isn't bad quality. Wings are new and all the hardware. New glass all around and tint.
~
vv0h6a0.jpg

QyppKdK.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
Good progress on the truck. The bed is getting sorted out next week and the only thing left is the grill.
~
New glass all around and new gaskets. New wings and hardware. The vents are from a newer truck (doors shut much better).
~
0VF6NFB.jpg

~
Pbg0u18.jpg

~
1CGYFNX.jpg

~
Black stainless bolts look great.
~
89Onx4b.jpg

~
Bedliner on the inner fenders.
~
goDqd1C.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
New wings.
~
8BXGj0B.jpg

~
KnvWCcA.jpg

~
F40JwlT.jpg

~
Shined up the stainless mirrors. I also added a reinforcement bar on the inside to minimize vibration.
~
dQ5Kvlo.jpg

~

Ouiwee

Observer
The titanium racing bolts look great on the fender flares.
~
H9StmXZ.jpg

~
yTp9eFZ.jpg

~
I figure a smallish pin stripe down the side would work to pull out the body line.

GabAlmighty

Observer
A thing of pure beauty. It's always nice seeing a build with such attention to detail, especially on the older machines. Love it

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of the rear cab vents, but I am concerned about leaking, noise and exhaust fumes. I guess their benefits out weight their risks? These doors are such a pain to close when all the seals are new.

Brad

Last edited:

Ouiwee

Observer
I like the idea of the rear cab vents, but I am concerned about leaking, noise and exhaust fumes. I guess their benefits out weight their risks? These doors are such a pain to close when all the seals are new.

Brad

As I recall, they didn't cost much at all. The road noise is there, but I intend to build a simple enclosure around them that will quiet the noise. The exhaust exits behind the rear wheel, so I don't think exhaust smell should be an issue (and I run cats).
~
Let's face it. The doors do not shut right in these trucks with the puny little vents in the doors but shut great with a window open.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
As I recall, they didn't cost much at all. The road noise is there, but I intend to build a simple enclosure around them that will quiet the noise. The exhaust exits behind the rear wheel, so I don't think exhaust smell should be an issue (and I run cats).
~
Let's face it. The doors do not shut right in these trucks with the puny little vents in the doors but shut great with a window open.

Yeah, I think you are fine. It is my stinky 6.2 diesel that concerns me. If there’s positive pressure in the cab, it’s a non-issue. Being out in the PNW, water intrusion is more of a concern to me. I’m spending a ton of time chasing leaks trying to get this cab dry so I can reinstall carpet.

I like your rear sliding window. I’m going that way with my truck as well. Do you happen to know the brand?

Brad

Ouiwee

Observer
Yeah, I think you are fine. It is my stinky 6.2 diesel that concerns me. If there’s positive pressure in the cab, it’s a non-issue. Being out in the PNW, water intrusion is more of a concern to me. I’m spending a ton of time chasing leaks trying to get this cab dry so I can reinstall carpet.

I like your rear sliding window. I’m going that way with my truck as well. Do you happen to know the brand?

Brad

I checked out your build thread, nice. I took a picture of the sticker on the glass:
~
b4Z01FU.jpg

Ouiwee

Observer
Some progress has been made on the bed. The fender wells have been recessed and boxed in for the flares. The nut plates are installed and everything fits great.
~
h3vzIxR.jpg

~
xy6cbDV.jpg

~
I asked them to reinforce the whole thing since I suspect there will be some impacts along the trail. They are also adding some metal to the bottom of the rear of the bedside.

Ouiwee

Observer
The front attachment point of the bedside required some adjustment to get the bedsides aligned with the cab. The width was not correct, so the spot welds were cut and the outer skin was moved in.
~
XuiHvoG.jpg

~
I had them reverse the bolt direction for the front panel so that bolts are not sticking out (and scraping the cab when the bed is removed). Also, the one side had a bunch of metal ripple and the other side, not so much. I am having both sides smoothed.
~
j8lsZzx.jpg

~
The passenger bed side body line was not straight--it curved in an inch or so above the wheel. So, they put the bed up on the rack and pulled the panel back into line. It is nice and true now.
~
vzlIoIC.jpg

~
You can see just above the wheel where pins were used to pull the panel.

Ouiwee

Observer
You can see some spot welds along the top of the front bed panel. The welds hold a piece of square tube steel in place to brace the bed front...thinner aftermarket metal doesn't do so well when you slide something in from the back and it bumps the front panel. I am having them reinforce the panel in the middle as well.
~
The 12v port for my refrigerator is going in the side panel just below the cattle rack box in the front passenger side. I'll likely put a regular 12v and a 120 plug there too.
~
I intend to mount an 18 gallon fuel tank in the center of the rear between the frame rails. The body shop is fabricating a pop up door into the bottom of the bed so I can fill the tank.
~
With some luck, I might see the bed in primer next week.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I checked out your build thread, nice. I took a picture of the sticker on the glass:
~
b4Z01FU.jpg

Thanks for that! I’m trying to get my truck to the point where it’s preserved enough that one day when I can afford it, there is still a truck left to restore properly. In the meantime, I want to get it ready for a potential trip to Moab in the Fall.

I can’t say enough how impressed I am with your attention to detail. Looking forward to seeing what you do inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles