Clunking/CV joint noise...

Senor Carey

Observer
Hello All,

Been trying to diagnose a clunking noise in the front end of my 2.5. I've replaced the wheel bearings (they were bad). The ball joints have no noticeable play and the rest of the components feel pretty good.

One thing I do notice is that when the truck is at rest, I can slide the CV joint back and forth quite easily and reproduce a pretty similar noise. The end near the hub moves about 1/4", quite easily. I realize that the design is intended to slide on the splines, but the play seems excessive. My UZJ100 CVs do not do the same.

Is this play normal in the Monty, or is this symptomatic of my issue?

Thanks in advance.

jaccox23

Adventurer
If you still have the stock auto hubs up front you can expect a clunk every now and then especially when driving and turning in a parking lot. Manual hubs are good for more than just off-road use as they save wear and tear on the CV's while daily commuting as well and they free up resistance on the drivetrain which will result in better MPG's. Also if you have done the wheel bearings lately did you make sure to install the snap ring back in? that would lead to all kinds of play in the axle.

Senor Carey

Observer
Thanks for the reply. I have manual hubs, in good shape. Both snap rings are in, as well.

I've considered the needle bearings in the hub might be bad, but it doesn't explain the excessive lateral movement (or so I think) of the CVs. Like I said, my 100-Series Cruiser doesn't do this.

plh

Explorer
When the wheel bearings or CVs were last serviced what the thick brass washer mis-placed (forgotten)? Sounds like it if you have 1/4" in-out shaft play.

RyanY

Adventurer
IIRC correctly there are shims under the nut on the outer end of the driveshaft that set the end play. The FSM should have the spec for that amount of play, but if you're at 1/4" then there's something wrong. I'm guessing the brass washer that PLH mentioned above is missing.

Senor Carey

Observer
I didn't do the last set, so I worked with what was there. There was the flat nut that to torque agai st the bearing, above that, the keyed washer with the set screws, and then the snap ring.

I'm guessing there's another spacer missing, then, as that play shouldn't be there?

plh

Explorer
I might have a spare pair (brass washer) ... If you need them give me a shout and I'll look for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles