running a 2000lb winch on my services trailer...battery question

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am finishing up my service trailer for my business. I have a small 2000lb superwinch mounted and I am wondering about power, I think that just having a normal cycle battery in a battery box, wired to the the trailer and charging while driving will keep it good, then just unplug the trailer while winching. Think that battery is enough? I am pulling dead atvs and golf carts mostly up on it...so it's not a huge strain on the winch. About how long will I have power from the battery?

john61ct

Adventurer
No, really still a deep cycling application, a proper battery will last much longer, plus you can use it as House for other things. Sam's Duracell 2x 6V GC2 cheapest suitable.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Warn 2000 says it draws 80a at full 2000 lb. load, 45a @ 1000 lb. You'll probably be a lot less most of the time. I'll go with 1000...

So 45a for an hour would be 45ah. Divided by 60 would be 0.75ah per minute. Divided by 60 would be 0.01ah per second.

Roughly (very roughly), that's about half what an average V8 starter can be expected to draw under normal circumstances. But the starter only does it for a couple seconds, you'll be doing more than that.

I'd say depending in how often you use it, you could get away with a cranking battery, but you'd be better off with an RV/ marine, and of course deep cycle would be better yet.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Cool thanks...Plan is to keep the battery in a battery box on the trailer, use it, and then just charge up with my battery charger after use. I may switch to a 5 pin plug on the trailer wiring, and mount a circuit breaker after the battery in line to the winch, that way I can keep the winch out of the loop until I need it! thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94