What is your 12v fridge freezer power consumption?

I want to know how much power your fridge consumes per hour on average while camping. Either Amp/hours or watt/hours.

Please share the cabinet size, average power consumption during use, temperatures you set the fridge at, ambient temperatures, any other info that you think would be useful.

This is what I have:

Model: SnoMaster, expedition series fridge/freezer
size: 66 liter
Interior temperature: fridge=34 F freezer= 0 F
Ambient temperature: 75-95 F
Power consumption: 3.9 amps/hour

Other: Fridge is kept in the back of truck with uninsulated camper shell and minimum allowable breathing room according to manufacturer. Our normal use consists of 2 people opening the cabinets regularly for food or beverages and restocking the fridge with 6-12 warm beers each day. We are full-time traveling. Average power consumption was figured over the course of 4 days with out a major grocery store run restock.

john61ct

Adventurer
By "amps/hour" I assume you mean AH, AKA "amp hours".

4AH per hour = ~100AH per day!

Most Danfoss units are about a quarter of that, maybe half if used as a 100% freezer in hot weather.

But top opening and small. . .

Yeah John,
That's the motivation for this thread. I've had a lot of people tell me my fridge is drawing way more power than theirs, but all these people have units 1/2-2/3 the size of mine and they don't have freezers. I can look up manufacturer efficiency ratings, but I don't consider these accurate for what you should expect when your using the thing around camp in non ideal conditions.

So, I'm curious what other people are getting with different units and how they use them. This info could be useful in purchasing a fridge and could motivate me to be more careful in my fridge use practices depending on what we find out.

I did mean amp hours per an hour.

I will retest my own fridge again when a good opportunity arises.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Engel MT45
Generally listed as 40 liters or 43 quarts
Running current is 2.15A (Sawafuji compressor)
Set to 1.5 (roughly equates to about 35°F)
Typical summer duty cycle is about 50%
Therefore my Engel consumes ~1.25 A-hr.

I've only ever checked instantaneous current and watched duty cycle as a curiosity. Never run a real long term consumption test. I have a 55 A-hr aux battery and it lasts a couple of days.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've got the Engel MT45 too but I never bothered to check/test because it's an Engel... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne