Urgent; need help with no start and Alarm Removal

TheFriZ

These posts were originally posted on The Mitsubishi Montero USA Group on Facebook but I combined them for expedition portal to better my chances

I do finally have access to the FSM as well
VEHICLE: 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package (full size), 3.5 V6 SOHC 24v, auto w/ adjustable suspension and rear air locker
ISSUE: No start, Cranks, and odd encounter during alarm removal

Ok so I'm trying to diagnose a no start issue, you can find that post beliw this one; I'm removing the alarm in the process using the expedition portal gen 2.5 removal thread found here...
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/112366-Montero-Alarm-system-removal-Gen-2-5

So I unplug my alarm box from the four plugs and I'm having a hard time finding the main harness plug in when low and behold it looks like someone has already jumped that starter interrupt plug and removed the rest of the wires....

Now I have a bunch of non stock looking wiring with them going various places, one to the passenger side, the lone green wire going into the drivers kick panel, and most importantly the start interrupt plug and main harness power lines going through a fuse and into the ignition; all wrapped in a textured wire wrap......

The vehicle will only start with the small starter interrupt connection on the end and he main connection plugged even with slots 2 & 3 jumped on the main connector

****** has someone done here?!?!?!

Help Needed!!
1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package
3.5 V6 24v SOHC

Bought truck 2 weeks ago, was told it needed a fuel pump. Went ahead and gave the a shot, but it never started. The truck just cranks. I've checked the primary resistance and secondary resistance on the three could, primary is bouncing between .6-.7 on two and .7-.8 on one. Secondary is ~24k on the two and ~23k on the one. The one is perfect the two should be close enough that it's not causing this issue. I have 10-11v at all three when cranking. I also have 10-11v at my fuel pump when cranking.

Now I was told the truck had an ecu replaced by the owner(who is now deceased, I bought from her son) wen the truck just wouldn't start one day; then after I had bought it and started trying to figure it out he added that it never ran right after ecu replaced and that apparently they tried a second ecu? I'm somewhat worried the immobilizer could be an issue? Also worried about the crank and cam position sensors. Oh, and the timing but at the same time the timing belt was replaced ten thousand miles ago, I have a good bit of receipts from extended service throughout her ownership.

I just need to get this sucker running like yesterday, any guidance would be much appreciated

snare

Adventurer
Have you tried unplugging everything from that alarm controller/box and then connecting the two wires for the starter interrupt plug?

In then end, I believe that was all i did.

snare

Adventurer
And here is a screenshot with the titles of all the threads I used from ExPo and 4x4Wire when I was removing my alarm

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-20_17-40-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-06-20_17-40-45.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 5

TheFriZ

Yes. It was already connected as you can see in the picture. All the wires appear to have been removed from the main harness alarm plug and just one wire jumped from ports 2&3 which are for the starter interrupt. So it's connected but if I unplug the box it doesn't work

TheFriZ

Ok guys. Tested spark on all 6 using a plugwire and plug arcing to ground and I 100% have spark on all.... That would rule out crank and cam position sensors right???

Before you starting ripping stuff out, did you try the reset with the dash button? I don't remember the exact steps, but my montero occasionally does a crank but no start, and if I remember right, I turn the key to ACC an hold the little button on the dash for about 10 seconds, then it starts.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
If he's cranking and getting spark, I doubt the alarm system is to blame at all for the no start, unless the alarm is smart enough to only disable fuel system?

snare

Adventurer
Yes. It was already connected as you can see in the picture. All the wires appear to have been removed from the main harness alarm plug and just one wire jumped from ports 2&3 which are for the starter interrupt. So it's connected but if I unplug the box it doesn't work

i definitely do not see that in the picture.

The 2 connector plug on one end of the box, with the two black wires (one may have a blue stripe, one may have a yellow stripe, i can not see the stripes in your pics). That 2 contact plug/ connector. Those are the two starter interrupt wires that I cut and spliced together (by passing the box entirely).

Then I unplugged and removed the box entirely. This solved all my weird, intermittent, no start problems.
It may not solve your current problem, but it will eliminate it as a contributor to any others.

Last edited:

TheFriZ

As I said. Look in my picture at the main body harness alarm plug. You see a black wore with yellow stripe that is looped back I to the plug. That is on ports 2&3 which is where the blue and black wires you twisted together are supposed I be going according to the write up. On mine it looks like someone simply used the wire and put it in both plugs to avoid the splice.

Now the two wires that come from the security box that were supposed to go there where you speak of are running up to the ignition into that blue plug and the other Ito a blue plug jut below that. The two starter interrupt wires are black and black and red but like I said they arent going where they go I. The write up. I'm thinking th alarm isn't my issue although I do want it gone

I'm suspecting my crank bolt a bit now. I'm going to inspect it. The vehicle suddenly ran poorly and then didn't run apparently according to the seller and what he described sounds somewhat similar to those symptoms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles