XJ Roof Top Tent mounting question

hidperf

I currently have a Surco Safari rack on my 92 XJ. It's mounted on two 48" Surco crossbars and their J100 adapters that mount to the factory roof rack rails. I was hoping to just use my existing crossbars and adapters when I purchase a RTT.

Surco says their Safari crossbars will handle the load of a RTT (~180lbs) but suggested I contact Jeep about how much the factory roof rack rails will handle.

The owners manual (yes, I still have it) says the factory roof rack can only handle 150lbs, but I'm not sure if that's just the factory crossbars that have the limitation.

Have any of you used the factory roof rails, or does everyone go with the gutter mounts?

I'm also not against the idea of adding additional Surco crossbars and adapters so it will help spread the load better.

not sure about a RTT, but I had a large basket type rack on my 2000 xj that I would load heavy {200+} never had an issue, I did not use the cross bars so the load was spread out over the rails.

hidperf

not sure about a RTT, but I had a large basket type rack on my 2000 xj that I would load heavy {200+} never had an issue, I did not use the cross bars so the load was spread out over the rails.

So your basket attached to the factory roof rack rails?

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
If you modify your Surco with additional cross bars and then transfer the weight to the drip rail at several locations you can support 400+ lbs on an XJ, again the idea would be enough cross members and the distribution.

033.jpg

March2007086.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

These pictures were from a few years ago, I have since built my own rack which transfer the weight through the roof unto the roll cage. The older system worked well for me when I used it.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Mr_Miyagisan

Adventurer
I went with a gutter mount rack, the entire XJ isn't known for its rigidity so I wasn't about to trust the factory rails with a $1500 tent

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I would suggest going with the gutter rails, as they're much stronger than the factory roof panel (which the factory rails are fixed to.) My rack is a custom full length rack that uses eight gutter mounts. To mount my RTT, I'm about to modify the rack by cutting off most of the top rail of the basket, mounting the RTT to the platform and leaving only the forward section as a basket for extra gear.

I never had that much weight in my rack, I would think about the weight of the rack,RTT,gear and 2 people. at that point your better off going to the drip rails..

hidperf

Sounds like I'll be making some changes when it's time for the RTT then.

Thanks for all the feedback and some amazing pictures.

davescott

Observer
I had a Maggiolina mounted on the gutters of my 97 XJ. Did a quick release mount with RTT storage in ceiling of garage. Many on and offs over 7 years and many trips with no problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne