Straping it all in

swrider

Observer
Hello everyone,
Just aquick question for you truck owners. How do you guys keep all your gear strapped in the bed of your truck? And also, for those of you that don't have a shell, how do u keep your gear secured so that it doesn't misteriously dissapear when you are out hiking/exploring.
Pics are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swrider

Observer
Thanks guys, those S rails are just the ticket.
Nice setup under your cab!
Hey Stingray1300, do you have a build thread for your truck?

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
For me the biggest annoyance was untangling the cargo net I used over the tarp to keep it all down. It's like untangling Christmas lights when you have a bunch of hooks and a grid like bungee net jumbled together.

This adjustable spider web type bungie hold down is the best solution I've got so far. 8 hooks points to the 8 D-ring tie down points I added to the bed of my truck. If the load is tall I can adjust more slack, if the load is short I can shorten the lines and keep it just as taut. http://amzn.to/2sLu3Q5

Plastic Tupperware bins of gear + 8'x6'ft blue tarp + Bungie net to hold it all down = Dirt cheap modular bed storage.
I also have assorted bungies and rachet straps if I need any more localized containment.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
truck bed compartments and security cables

Hello everyone,
Just a quick question for you truck owners. How do you guys keep all your gear strapped in the bed of your truck? And also, for those of you that don't have a shell, how do u keep your gear secured so that it doesn't mysteriously disappear when you are out hiking/exploring.
Pics are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I use a 2500HD Chevy Silverado to tow my squareback trailer for camping. The truck usually sits for weeks at a time between uses, now that I'm retired, while my HHR Panel gets driven locally once or twice a week (all my vehicles and trailer batteries are on maintainers). I just use the big truck for moving heavy items, and camping, now. I also have a 1500 GMC EC, as a back-up, so I currently leave some gear always packed in the Silverado's bed, rather than moving it in and out prior to and after camping trips. I formerly would install bed dividers made from treated lumber into the bed, to compartmentalize and secure items for travelling to camp; now, I am starting to leave the dividers and some gear in the bed, full-time (secured by locks and security cables, even while sitting on my property), so I don't have to repack. Also, I leave some gear attached to my trailer, that I once carried in the truck bed, so as not to be exposed to the weather, between trips (the trailer is in the garage).
  • I usually camp with trusted friends, so seldom, if ever, is my campsite un-watched, but I always keep the valuable tools & gear in storage boxes locked and cabled to the truck. Here are some older photos of my scheme, now becoming slightly altered, and semi-permanent:
  • truck bed reorganization for camping trips.jpg these items are the same as before,dividers are unchanged
  • compartmented pickup bed.jpg potty supplies still here;others now w/trailer(storage of tools,EDC now here)
  • hardware close-up.jpg dividers and hardware still removable,if necessary
  • security cables.jpg I use security cables & locks when truck is unattended
  • PREPPED & READY.jpg made new rack to carry items formerly in truck bed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles