Kayak Rack Build

daltonprosser

Well I'll start off by saying I'm new to the forum and this is my first post so I figured I would share the project I am working on. I am leaving to go to Colorado next week for a short camping/fishing trip and needed all the bed space I can get so I decided to make a rack to mount on my topper. I searched the internet and found a fairly simple design. I will post my progress as I get more of it done.
First post so I should probably post a truck picture. This is what the rack is going on.
IMG_0691.jpg

This is the design I am going off of.
IMG_0700.JPG

I got the flat plates done last night. I made 8 total. 4 to go on top and 4 to put on the inside of the topper for more support.
IMG_0705.JPG

I am getting 1" square tubing today and am going to start welding on it tonight. Thanks for looking at my project!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Good simple design.

I would suggest sleeving the rear crosspipe, before covering it in pool noodle, so your kayaks roll off and on.

What have you figured for tie-down points? I created some tie down brackets to fit on my front fender mount bolts near the grill, which would make a good nose tie down point for your kayaks -
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...compact-flexible-design?p=1868617#post1868617

limbriserbracket14_zps5gmmvphr.jpg

daltonprosser

Good simple design.

I would suggest sleeving the rear crosspipe, before covering it in pool noodle, so your kayaks roll off and on.

What have you figured for tie-down points? I created some tie down brackets to fit on my front fender mount bolts near the grill, which would make a good nose tie down point for your kayaks -
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...compact-flexible-design?p=1868617#post1868617

limbriserbracket14_zps5gmmvphr.jpg

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for tie down points yet. I like your idea a lot and it wouldn't be to difficult. As far as tie down points on the rack itself. I was thinking about using some small solid round stock, bend it into a semi-circle, and welding it on. Once I get the rack done before I mount it on the truck I am going to put the kayaks on it and figured out the best place to put the tie down points.

daltonprosser

Made a little progress last night. Didn't have a lot of time. Got home from work at 5:30 and went back to work at 8. Harvest time here in Kansas is a busy time of year.

Cut 4 6" pieces and made 45's on each end. I am doing this because I don't have access to a pipe bender
IMG_0708.JPG

Got the 6" pieces welded to the flat plate. No making fun of my welds!
IMG_0709.JPG

rayra

Expedition Leader
You have any angle on those feet plates, or are you planning to correct for the roof slope(s) when you cut the mating angle for the main lateral bars?

daltonprosser

You have any angle on those feet plates, or are you planning to correct for the roof slope(s) when you cut the mating angle for the main lateral bars?

When I go to mount it I am going to just heat up the flat plate with a torch and bend it to where it will sit flat on the roof.

daltonprosser

Haven't been on here much the past few days. I finished the rack up in Saturday. I think it turned out good! When I mounted I put 4x4" squares of 1/4" rubber under the flat plate so it won't tear up my topper. I painted the rack with duplicolor truck bed coating so I can throw the kayaks on it and not have to worry about chipping paint. Here's a few pictures!
IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles