285/70/17s on '06 OEM Rims

2to4wheels

Adventurer
It's time to start planning mods, probably starting with tires since my 265/65/17 Cooper AT3s are noisy and cupping do in part to the previous owners lack of tire rotation. I've searched and I haven't heard any discussion about plus sizing tires on the stock 17s. Just curious is there would be any issues running the 285s on the stockers. Maybe one day I will pursue different rims but from a cost perspective, i'd rather have tires and a lift first and salvage what I have. Stock rims are +10 offset correct?

And for sanity check, I do plan on adding a lift in the near future. Somewhat undecided yet on the 285/70 or 265/70. Convince me either way which you'd prefer with the lift.

John235

I'm running 285/75R17 Ridge Grapplers on my 2005 with stock rims. I have a MD OME lift front and back with additional 0.5" coil spacers in front and 40 mm spacers in back. I may swap out the rear springs for HDs and a lesser spacer since the MDs are pretty compressed already.

Only needed minor front bumper cutting and frame massaging.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

2to4wheels

Adventurer
I'm running 285/75R17 Ridge Grapplers on my 2005 with stock rims. I have a MD OME lift front and back with additional 0.5" coil spacers in front and 40 mm spacers in back. I may swap out the rear springs for HDs and a lesser spacer since the MDs are pretty compressed already.

Only needed minor front bumper cutting and frame massaging.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two if you get a chance. Did you mean 285/70? Or 75? Why did you pick 285 over 265 or just for obvious reasons of being bigger?

John235

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two if you get a chance. Did you mean 285/70? Or 75? Why did you pick 285 over 265 or just for obvious reasons of being bigger?
285/75R17s, 34 inch diameter. I just wanted a larger tire.
3bef9cd4c70b69cbd4cbceb44778b087.jpg

John235

looks great! how much a hit on mpg? Thanks for the pic. Is that Carbon Gray like mine?!?! Love how it looks so different in different lighting
Mileage is pretty terrible considering the Ridge Grapplers are pretty heavy even in C load range plus the roof rack doesn't help. I get about 12-13 city and a few mpg higher highway.

I love the color too.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Mileage is pretty terrible considering the Ridge Grapplers are pretty heavy even in C load range plus the roof rack doesn't help. I get about 12-13 city and a few mpg higher highway.

I love the color too.

Are you running original gears, no adjusting for big tires?
I think I am going to pull the trigger on some 285/75/16 that are just under 33"

John235

Yeah, original gears. The only time I notice the tires are on long mountain uphills. To maintain 70 mph you have to switch back and forth between 3rd and 4th gear a lot.

ui vandal

I would go with 265/70's. Less of a hit in acceleration, braking, ride, gearing, mpg, etc. The Montero is not a rock crawling rig, but with a mild lift and 32" tires you can go quite far.

I have an 04 so I just have 16" wheels. I am running 265/75/16 Cooper ATW. Finished installing OME spring front and rear with KYB GAJ a few weeks ago. It has been a great combo for the trails in the mountains in ID and WY.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94