How to build Wifes 4runner? Without mods

Redman333

Adventurer
I know kinda confusing title.

Bit of a back story. I have been searching for a few years for a reliable and good off-road vehicle. I ended finding an 04 Lexus LX470 and proceeded to lift it and put it on 35s. Basically drove like this with a few other minor mods for about a year. In that time we had our first child. No we want to move to a different town before he starts school so that he can stay in the same school system as he grows. I also am trying to build equity in our house to eventually rent it out and buy more rentals. The goal is to retire early using rentals. No in order to pay off our current house in the next 5 years I had to put my Lexus up for sale. Trust me when I say I don't really want to do this but I couldn't figure out another way.

Now she drives an 05 4runner limited. She likes the ride quality and plus we have brand new tires on it. We usually go wheeling a few times a year and the rest is easy enough that a passenger car could make it. Now she won't let me modify it to a point that it effects ride quality or ease of entry(she's short) at all. So no lift, no big tires, etc. Plus these cost money and it somewhat defeats the purpose of selling my vehicle if I'm just going to spend Money anyway.

So I'm looking for a way to add a drawer setup and fridge storage in the cargo area that still farely easily removed to go completely back to stock when we get home from a trip. We also have a lab that usually goes with us so it can't be too big.

Does anyone have examples of what they ha e done that doesn't cost too much and isn't permanent?

This is the vehicle we are modifying.
c98558a943e2ac60cd3e07cd2235e1ef.jpg

abed855522a91b6480e902effff02194.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Sliders, skids, good tires. Done.

Pull the shelf out, It leaves two mounting points in the front (m10 nutserts IIRC) and then you can use the two cargo tie dons at the rear. Cut a sheet of ply for the floor attach drawer/fridge and call it good.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wouldn't put sliders/skids/tires on the wifes car. Id leave it as is, throw stuff in the back when you go , unload when you get home. Anything you do extra to this vehicle is going to get in the way of your dream.

Redman333

Adventurer
I wouldn't put sliders/skids/tires on the wifes car. Id leave it as is, throw stuff in the back when you go , unload when you get home. Anything you do extra to this vehicle is going to get in the way of your dream.

Yeah that's basically where I'm at. Still trying to figure out a good way to camp with the vehicle. Well an easy way to camp. I know when I was a kid my dad had a bunch of tuperware containers and kept all the camp stuff in there. I guess I could do that too.

FJOE

Regular Dude
I wouldn't mod it at all. In fact, I wouldn't even do a fridge. Get a nice cooler, and some action packers instead of drawers and call it good.

Hobiecat

Observer
Ditto on the action packers.

I'd do drawers and sliders if it was a dedicated adventure vehicle, but the ability to quickly load and unload the action packers in the garage is amazing. The trick is keeping them organized....I need to come up with some dividers, but currently sort the contents into bags. And they're relatively light.

Last edited:

Redman333

Adventurer
I wouldn't mod it at all. In fact, I wouldn't even do a fridge. Get a nice cooler, and some action packers instead of drawers and call it good.

Well I already have the fridge and really like it so I might as well keep and use it.

Redman333

Adventurer
Ditto on the action packers.

I'd do drawers and sliders if it was a dedicated adventure vehicle, but the ability to quickly load and unload the action packers in the garage is amazing. The trick is keeping them organized....

I have a couple smaller action packers and one large one right now. Mostly use them to store everything in the garage. I guess I could set them up and just throw them in the back of the runner. This would be really cheap too since I already own them.

I guess I've fallen for the full kitted out, drawers, fridges, awnings and kitchen sink built in idea. I could probably get away with most of the stuff I already own. Just need to organize it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles