VR-X 3500 Motor 24v for sale $600.00

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/6179568779.html

$600.00

Ad says you can have the car with it. Not sure if this can be used in a Montero but I know we have a lot of Mitsubishi fans here.

Not my ad.
Just FYI
Per Edmunds:
2003 Diamante VR-X - 210hp, 231 ft/lbs torque
2002 Montero - 200hp, 235 ft/lbs torque
2000 Montero - 200hp, 228 ft/lbs torque

Could be a good swap for someone with a blown 6G74, depending on connections etc. Sold as a Magna in Australia if anyone wants to research it more.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The Diamante was a hella good quality car, only a billion times better than the Galant.

evol911

Observer
I had a Diamante once. Leaked coolant from the freeze plugs until one day it locked up driving home from work. Left it in a parking lot overnight, came back the next day, topped off the oil, filled the coolant and drove it home. Kept a spare gallon of coolant with me at all times after that.

Sometimes I see Diamante Wagons and try to come up with reasons to tell my wife why we need another car.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Is it that the motor mounts are wrong for Montero applications? Transverse (sideways) motor as opposed to the in-line motors we have. I know the discussion of compatible motor swaps has been talked about in various threads. It would be nice to have a sticky with motor swaps that work for all Montero years/generations/transmissions with donor cars that are good for direct transplants.

arb098

Adventurer
Is it that the motor mounts are wrong for Montero applications? Transverse (sideways) motor as opposed to the in-line motors we have. I know the discussion of compatible motor swaps has been talked about in various threads. It would be nice to have a sticky with motor swaps that work for all Montero years/generations/transmissions with donor cars that are good for direct transplants.

I second this statement. I've actually been wondering why we don't have a sticky that address that? :clapping:

Toasty

The Diamante is made in the same factory as the Montero so it happens to be the more compatible transverse engine to use. At least the old ones were.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Is there "proof" somewhere that there are 6g motors with different mount bosses on the blocks? I still have yet to find a mention of this on the Aussie forums where they're doing the 6g75 swaps.

Obviously the manifolds and probably accessories would need to be swapped over to Montero stuff, but at $600 for a block and heads? Yeah i'd give it a shot.

Toasty

The bosses are there just not drilled and tapped, If you're thinking about a motor swap go prepared and be skilled.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
The bosses are there just not drilled and tapped, If you're thinking about a motor swap go prepared and be skilled.

I am hoping to never do a swap but it would be nice to know how to pull it off. If there is a supply of otherwise compatible motors maybe machining the bosses into the correct configuration would be cheaper than a regular Montero swap/transplant... Drilling and tapping would be do-able for a lot of guys. Definitely cheaper than a rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles